Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Wes!

Seems you're really onto something with that transfo-coupling. You should really do a USB-XLR thingybob so us 'puter users can also use it. Not that I can actually afford one but still..

Congrats my man.

Gary,

You could easily use a M-Audio Transit to convert your USB to an optical digital signal. Slightly kludgy but it'd work.

• 2 months later...

Monkey got around to posting his review of the D100 as part of the loaner program. I've taken a few choice snippets, so check out the full review for all the details. :)

"Never have I heard a digital rig anywhere reproduce HF as well. Every area of music quality improved."

-Awedofile (full review)

"With the D100, Neko Audio appears to have sought a well-rounded sound. I've had it with brittle, shrill DACs...instead of the sparkly highs, the D100 gives sumptuous mids and a bit of bass kick that I find very musically satisfying."

-Monkey (full review)

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I checked all those, volume levels are all fine, and any filters or w/e are disabled.

I'm thinking it might be the interconnects? Is this possible? For a bit I was getting the proper volume but only on right channel, when I switched the interconnect to the left output I stopped getting audio from the right and now got audio from the left...

However now I'm back to having the low volume problem, but I can barely hear audio from both channels.

If the IC's are shorting out then it could present like that. Have you tried another set?

No sadly signalcable sent me the wrong type of interconnect so I've had to get one from some local electronic shop. He didn't wire it properly....

Is this diagram correct?

XLR-RCA.gif

leave pin 3 disconnected

That sounds like how you get SE outputs from an active output stage.

For a floating transformer coupled output you MUST use pins 2&3. The picture that HDen posted looks good. You should be able to find something like that for a very reasonable price (certainly compared to audiophile cables...) at a pro-sound shop.

Alternately, they may sell XLR --> RCA plugs that look like normal XLR cannons with an RCA nipple wired like that with the connections done internally.

Just make sure they have a nice return policy and go from there.

:)

Thanks everyone for the help, went to the audio store and got them to wire the cable properly(the young guy that did it first didn't know how to, this one did), I still made sure it was wired properly according to the diagram.

Currently enjoying the sound of the D100, now to deal with Signalcable...

Headphonista has posted a review of the D100 Mk2.

"It’s amazing to discover new details in recordings I thought I knew so well, a testament to the D100’s awesome transparency and detail retrieval."

- Daryl Hoffman (full review)

Disclaimer: I did not know until the review was finished that Headphonista keeps review units with the implied option of selling them. It's my policy to refuse review requests where there may be a direct financial association with the published review.

wait, so you sent them a unit to review (for free) and they never returned it, because they're trying to sell it? wat? once it sells, who keeps the money?

wait, so you sent them a unit to review (for free) and they never returned it....

I don't really want to go into details, but basically yes to the part of your question I've quoted. I can't answer the remainder of your question, except I have not and do not expect to receive any direct financial benefit from Headphonista or the reviewer.

I felt I needed to include this disclaimer because I want to avoid any potential controversy around the review if someone else posted this fact instead.

After the revelation from NekoAudio, I decided to look around for a disclaimer of some sort on the Headphonista site regarding this matter. They call it "Terms of Service" and is accessible only by clicking a very minute "ToS" link at the bottom of their page.

ToSlink... HA! :P

In my opinion, they should disclose this to every merchant upon arranging a review, and not leave it as a "hey, it's on our site... somewhere" type of deal, "...your fault if you didn't look for it." That's shady. Anyway, here is what it stipulates (BOO! :asshat:):

Terms of Service

Jan 17th, 2001 | By Daryl H. | Category: Review In no event will Headphonista Magazine be liable for any client or third party damages. This includes but is not limited to any lost profits, lost savings or other incidental, consequential or special damages arising as a result of our reviews. Due to a string of recent events we must advise that any product sent to Headphonista Magazine, immediately becomes property of the person conducting the review unless a written agreement or contractual terms have been agreed upon by both parties. To avoid any confusion, we recommend only sending products for review with contractual terms agreed upon and signed in writing by both parties. Similarly, we cannot be held liable for any damages incurred during transit or shipping, it is for this reason that we recommend always insuring your product through the postal service.