Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

I thought you were exempt from paying taxes when shipping samples and things for repair.

At least I paid nothing when sending my customs back and forth from France.

I've always been very intrigued by the Neko DAC, but as the little money I've managed to save up is destined for other uses, I'll have to give it a pass.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, import taxes are an issue, that's why I think a good entry port could be UK for I have the idea (maybe wrong, so any UK pal may confirm) they have a more relaxed control. Once the device is in EU, no taxes, just shipping cost.

2 comments, not that I'm trying to put the dampers on this, but.....

Shipping in Europe isn't that expensive until you add insurance. This bumps the price significantly. ISTR there was a requirement to insure for full value. Insurance for $1495 is really going to bump the shipping cost, possibly 2x or 3x what it would be without.

Taxes.... Well, if the item enters the UK (from outside the EU) with an insured value of $1495 printed on it then it isn't going to avoid taxes. (Regardless of any labelling. eg. sample.) Having played the game with trying to reclaim taxes for an imported item that was returned to the manufacturer after 2 weeks, and the hoops that needed to be jumped through regarding documentation, I would suggest that either Neko is prepared to send the DAC with an insured value of $1 or the scheme is a non-starter unless someone is willing to take a hit on the taxes and fight to get them back.

Edited by Parafeed

I'm less worried about the initial import taxes for shipping into the EU, but what about once it is inside? It is currently required for the unit to be fully insured; would that significantly raise the intra-EU shipping costs?

Wes do you know how long you'll run the Neko loaner for? I am interested in auditioning, but bought two DACs this year and want to get familiar with both first.

Wes do you know how long you'll run the Neko loaner for? I am interested in auditioning, but bought two DACs this year and want to get familiar with both first.

I typically allow the loaner program to run until there aren't any more people on the list. I want to get at least 10 people signed up for the EU program. That probably means about 6-8 months of time, if each person has it for 2 weeks.

Shipping insurance within Europe will increase cost, of course, but I can't say by how much, probably to make it about 2x or 3x compared to registered post. I'm not talking about DHL, MRW and all those companies which would increase cost significantly. In my case I wouldn't mind covering that expense myself for having the chance to try the DAC.

I'm less worried about the initial import taxes for shipping into the EU, but what about once it is inside? It is currently required for the unit to be fully insured; would that significantly raise the intra-EU shipping costs?

A typical (UK) price for insurance would be £4.50 (GBP) for each £100 cover after the first £100, which costs £1.20. So insurance would add £37 to the intra-EU shipping cost. Don't know the dimensions of the box, or shipping weight of the DAC, (assuming < 10kg and not oversize), but I'd guess the shipping cost (intra-EU) without insurance to be somewhere around £15.

Edited by Parafeed

A typical (UK) price for insurance would be £4.50 (GBP) for each £100 cover after the first £100, which costs £1.20. So insurance would add £37 to the intra-EU shipping cost. Don't know the dimensions of the box, or shipping weight of the DAC, (assuming < 10kg and not oversize), but I'd guess the shipping cost (intra-EU) without insurance to be somewhere around £15.

Is this a representative shipping cost regardless of where it is going? That's about $80 USD which seems enough that it might discourage some people. Shipping cross-country within the U.S. including insurance stays under $25 USD. I think it's similar within Canada.

Is this a representative shipping cost regardless of where it is going? That's about $80 USD which seems enough that it might discourage some people. Shipping cross-country within the U.S. including insurance stays under $25 USD. I think it's similar within Canada.

Yes, that's pretty much a representative cost from the UK to anywhere in the EU. I did say that adding insurance really does bump the price. ;) Figure the insurance cost at 5% insured value - it's in that ball park. Prices are much, much cheaper for companies that have accounts with shipping companies. But private individuals do not have access to that.

that sounds like a lot. insurance here is usually about $1 per $100 insured, and often the first $100 is insured at no cost

Yes, I agree. But that's just the way it is. Even with companies like parceltogo.com which allow non-business customers to ship using DHL, etc. etc. at near to business rates, the default compensation level is £50. Then it's 5% of insured value. So you can ship a 10kg package from the UK to Germany for £15. Need to insure it for £1000, then add £50! ;)

Okay. I'll try to work out things to open up a Europe loaner program and open a round 2 for Canada. I think I would need around 10 sign ups before sending it out to Europe, and 5 for Canada (there's one other person who expressed interest in Canada shortly after the previous Canada program closed--maybe he is still interested). Just roughly guessing. Need not all be from Head-Case, of course; I'll post on AudioCircle as well.

If you do end up doing another Canada loaner program I'd prefer to be later or last on the list if possible.

You can count with me. As for others folks I probably could get some of the speaker scene guys interested do you need any form of feedback lets say like ebay or something ?

If I can get at least 10 people signed up (speaker or headphone), fully aware of the shipping costs and how it would operate, then I would consider the E.U. program a go. I'm hesitant to announce one though, unless it has a good chance of being carried out.

The only feedback I ask is that anyone who participates does publish their thoughts of the DAC on the Neko Audio loaner program thread. Other forums or online publications are always welcome of course. :) I'm not really sure what eBay feedback would mean, unless I sold you something on eBay....

he's asking if you want to see the participant's eBay or other rating so that you know they aren't, at least in theory, dead beats who are going to keep the DAC.

Oh, I see. :) Sure, that'd be nice. Sorry for my slow head. :P But it's definitely not necessary.

Thanks, Torpedo. If you guys can let me know some sort of ballpark figure of people who you've talked to who are interested, that'd be great.