Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

Yeah once it gets stuck in customs takes a while.. But the problem is that they aren't buying the recipe you sent me, I have a feeling they googled it.

I have been lucky since all the stuff I bought from USA and a few other places never got stuck at the customs for verification and it always took about 5 days to arrive at my door and 1 day record from JHaudio.

Now its wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a 50/50 chance here of the Neko's arrival corresponding with my TTVJ/Millet Arete/Volcano loaner. With the A/V so far being reported as a little more analytical and unforgiving than the P/V, and looking at blessingx' review at the Neko forum, it should be an interesting audition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, padam. Sorry I didn't see your post until now.

As you're located in Hungary, I'm guessing you're asking about the E.U. Loaner program. If you'd like to sign up feel free but at this point, based on the latest news I've gotten from Whale, it looks like I'll most likely have to cancel the E.U. program due to customs issues with respect to product samples. Spain looks like it is a little better in some respects but still expensive.

• 1 month later...

We're still trying to move forward with the E.U. loaner program at this time. Hopefully things will be resolved within the next couple of days.

On an unrelated note, Malcolm Gomes of the Khaleej Times recently reviewed the D100 Mk2. smile.png

"If you use the D100 with sources, amplifiers, cables and speakers that are as neutral as today's technology will allow, you will be rewarded with musicality that will astound you."

(full review)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wesley, I have some questions regarding the specifications of the D100. I am still quite a newbie to the high end world and a bit confused about impedance/sensitivity issues, so bare with me here. From what I've gathered from your reviews is that the D100 is a bit low in gain due to the passive output stage. I see from a forum thread over at your website that the D100 has an output impedance of 290 ohms. So...

What is your recommended input sensitivity that a preamp or integrated have in connecting with your D100? I see many different input sensitivities, such as 20kohms, 26kohms, etc. in solid state preamps. I've read that impedance matching is critical to achieving quality sound and balance between all components, and I'm a bit unsure as to what numbers are generally better.

Thanks in advance for any clarification Wesley!

Hi. smile.png Sorry for the delayed reply.

The original D100 has an output impedance of 290 ohms and a 1V signal. This output voltage is about -6dB from a standard CD player, or a little lower than that compared to other DACs or CD players that run a little hotter. (For example, some DACs may output around 2.5V.)

However the D100 Mk2 has an output impedance around 890 ohms and a 2V signal. This output voltage should be close if not the same to a standard CD player. The higher output impedance does mean it is slightly more sensitive to cabling choices.

With either D100 or D100 Mk2 I recommend at least a 10 kohm input impedance on your preamp or integrated amp. A general rule of thumb is a ratio of 1:10 between the output and input impedances when you are dealing with voltage signal transfer. (This does not apply towards power transfer.) I also recommend good interconnects, and shorter interconnects if possible to minimize the impact of any cables.

The D100 Mk2 is a little pickier when it comes to the input impedance of its downstream gear and cables because it uses a passive output stage with zero feedback, but the benefit is exceptionally clear music without smearing, noise, or unnatural musical character.

Edited by NekoAudio

I just (finally) posted my review of the loaner Neko on Wes' forum.

The short version is that it's a rave. A qualified rave, but a rave nevertheless.

I found the Neko to be unforced and natural sounding, with absolutely wonderful resolution, top to bottom. It sounded very "real".

The qualification is that it's a little rolled-off in the top octave and can be a little dark or a little warm. So it won't be a perfect fit in every system or for every taste.

The most interesting bit is that it dawned on me, late in the process, that maybe the most important thing about a DAC is not how it compares to other DACs, but how well it gets along with your own turntable. On that score, the Neko looks like a champ. It became instant buddies with the table in my headphone rig.

Thanks for the opportunity, Wes! It was a great experience. (Even if it did make me want to buy the thing). Sorry it took so long to get the review written and posted.

Thats okay Wes, thank you for the detailed reply! Looks like I shouldn't have any problems then.

I saw a review in Home Theater HiFi in which the reviewer used Primaluna tube amplification with the D100. Seems like he was really pleased with the results, I'd love to try a tube preamp some day to pair with your DAC.

The qualification is that it's a little rolled-off in the top octave and can be a little dark or a little warm. So it won't be a perfect fit in every system or for every taste.

That's consistent with my own experience, and that characteristic is one that I like. (And I agree not everyone will.) Wes, is this something you consciously implemented? Do you disagree with the assessment (perhaps attributable to something else in our rigs)? I'd be interested to know.

Glad the loaner program continues to go well.

Read your review on Wes' forum, very well written impressions that have made me even more intrigued to hear the D100, thankfully I won't have long to wait as the Canadaland loaner is on it's way to me.

My impressions are generally concurrent with the general opinion of this thread. "Unforced and natural" I think is right on the money. It's not without flaws but on its own, it is a very enjoyable and musical sounding DAC. It draws you into the music rather than making you sit and take notice of what's wrong with its presentation, and that is always a sign of a good source.

In terms of tonal balance, I find the mids a bit emphasized and both deep bass and upper highs a bit rolled off. The mids in general are what stand out here: very open, clear, warmish though not quite warm, with good texture and generally a high degree of realism/believability. Throw in the soundstage, which is fairly big, open, and airy, and you have a very inviting and natural presentation with a clear focus on vocals and midrange-heavy instruments. The highs are smooth and precise without harshness, digital glare, or artificial sheen, though they can also lack sparkle at times. The bass is pretty even, without excessive bloom or boominess but it could also use a bit more depth and heft.

I don't have much experience with DACs in the price range and don't have too many other sources lying around at the moment. The only thing I can really compare this DAC to is the Opus 21, which is more than twice as expensive. The Opus is also a source that's generally considered to sound analog and is praised for natural detail without harshness, and the two sources unsurprisingly sound similar. The main edge for the Opus is extra detail, better dynamics, better performance at the frequency extremes and significantly more heft and weight to the sound. Tonally, the Opus is a touch warmer but both sources are pretty close to neutral. The Opus has more focused imaging but the D100 is a bit more airy and open sounding, though having less emphasized deep bass will (I think) generally make things sound a bit more open on first listen. The D100 also has smoother highs and seems to be a little bit cleaner sounding in general, though maybe the Opus just makes background noise on recordings more evident. Either way, the most immediate impression when listening to the D100 is openness, midrange clarity, and natural tonality, whereas with the Opus the impression is of great resolution across the board, natural tonality and effortless dynamics. I think it's safe to say that while the Opus is the better source the D100 comes close and is something I could easily live with.

I had an Assemblage 2.7 DAC here for a while and going from memory, I'd give the Assemblage the edge in overall tonal balance, but the Neko is more open and airy and has the better mids.

I'll probably sell mine at some point given that I don't really need it, but it's a very good source in my book. It's a somewhat specialized presentation but one I like a lot. If you have a system that could use a touch more midrange emphasis it will probably be a good match.

• 2 weeks later...

That's consistent with my own experience, and that characteristic is one that I like. (And I agree not everyone will.) Wes, is this something you consciously implemented? Do you disagree with the assessment (perhaps attributable to something else in our rigs)? I'd be interested to know.

Sorry for the late reply; this last week has been somewhat crazy for me.

I wouldn't say I consciously went for a sound that is rolled-off in the upper frequencies but I do believe that perception is accurate when compared against other DACs. I went for the sound that was most realistic to my ears, based on my experience with live music (i.e. no microphones or electronics).

I do think a lot of DACs, including high-end ones that are much more expensive than the D100 Mk2, introduce noise and/or smearing and therefore additional acoustic energy that results in higher volume or "more busy" low and high frequencies. I don't think people pick up on that in the mid-range as easily because they are usually listening to vocals or long-duration sounds where it isn't as easy to perceive something is "off".

Take that away and the mid-range is probably perceived as clearer but not necessarily quieter, but bass is perceived as missing slam (e.g. the difference between a loud subwoofer and a clean subwoofer) and treble is perceived as missing detail (and is no longer fatiguing at high volumes in echoey rooms).

The frequency response and linearity measurements are extremely straight. IIRC, I took all the measurements using 3' versions of the cables I sell. But the output stage is more easily influenced by cable and downstream gear characteristics than other DACs so that is something that could have some influence on the sound in individual setups.

Anyway, that's my take on things and I couldn't say that is the case with respect to the specific DACs mentioned by comparison in the above posts as I haven't done direct comparisons with them myself.