Neko Audio DAC

Hopstretch

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
My one disappointment is a lack of speed in the mids (and upper-bass). So far I've noticed this most in Chopin's Scherzo No. 2 in B flat minor, where the leading edge of the quick strikes come off noticeably rounded off.

Wanted to update my quote above from 4 months ago. That was with a Jkenny MK3 USB/SPDIF converter which uses the same chip as the Neko, the WM8804.

Have since switched to a Wavelink HS and that condition no longer exists. The improvements run across the board, especially with acoustic instruments. All is well in the digital arena, and now a time out before looking into amplification.

• 1 month later...

I have officially relegated my Bladelius Embla to transport in my setup of BHSE/009. This DAC tame the brightness of 009. And it polished the sound too making it much more listenable without sacrifising any good traits of 009. The sound are much more refined now. Not that bladelius dac section is inferior to this neko, its just a synergy between this neko and the rest of the system thats better.

Wes, i dont care what people say about all other dac ,async shit or whatever, yours are champion for me in my setup.

Anyway, how long you have to take to upgrade the DAC to Mk2? Mine is Mk1. Appreciate your response. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to hear that, forbigger. smile.png It only takes a day or two to do the upgrade. Most of the time will be spent shipping the unit back and forth.

(BTW - anyone know why I don't get notifications even though I'm following this topic? I had the email me setting checked in my notification options.)

Edited by NekoAudio

• 6 months later...
Happy to hear that, forbigger. smile.png It only takes a day or two to do the upgrade. Most of the time will be spent shipping the unit back and forth.

(BTW - anyone know why I don't get notifications even though I'm following this topic? I had the email me setting checked in my notification options.)

I'll take a look.

• 2 months later...

gosh.....can i buy another one and have it drive another channel.....so 2 dac for each left and right......

dang, just gimme a goddam reason to get another one......portable perhaps? or can i use it for car audio ? or can i hook it to my home theater ? oh wait, I dont have a home theater.......

Edited by forbigger

gosh.....can i buy another one and have it drive another channel.....so 2 dac for each left and right......

dang, just gimme a goddam reason to get another one......portable perhaps? or can i use it for car audio ? or can i hook it to my home theater ? oh wait, I dont have a home theater.......

Well, you could, but that'd probably be a waste of money. :P

I bet you could theoretically use it for car audio since it's power consumption is so low, but you'd need a voltage converter or to bypass the internal stepdown transformer. Chassis and internals are certainly durable enough. If you do that you have to send photos!

• 2 weeks later...