HeadAmp Pico USB DAC

padam

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine yesterday, #26. Haven't listened yet though. Now I get to find out how this DAC sounds directly with the AE-2, and then later on, a Mini3 and Gilmore Lite....

I am certain that you will like it - I've had mine a few days and the output is very nice. I would say it is on par with some of my optical DACs using 16/44 lossless files from my Macbook Pro. I am now hearing more detail out of the Pico DAC-only USB than the Headroom Micro DAC USB, vs when I compared the Pico DAC/amp as preamp to the HR a year ago.

I'm still trying to figure out why I still bought this after I recently got the PS Audio Digital Link III for my Stax rig. The Pico DAC-only was originally going to be for my Stax rig when I set my mind to getting one 6 months ago. Then when it was available for pre-order I went on auto-pilot. I'm sure I'll have uses for it, although in my bedroom rig I use the Apogee mini-DAC with my Macbook to feed my home amps. Time to build a basement rig again I suppose...

I'm still trying to figure out why I still bought this after I recently got the PS Audio Digital Link III for my Stax rig. The Pico DAC-only was originally going to be for my Stax rig when I set my mind to getting one 6 months ago. Then when it was available for pre-order I went on auto-pilot.

I boarded a very similar boat. After reading the comments of the umpteenth Benchmark hater, I decided that I needed some perspective and planned on picking up the pico when it became available, also figuring it would become a secondary rig. Then I started to read about the new Buffalo32s and when the time to order came around, I just got both.

Well the pico came in yesterday and I spent an hour or so comparing between it and the benchmark. I used a very unscientific method of volume matching, but after an hour or so of switching back and forth, I realized I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I know it is a sin in the audiophile world to admit the inability to readily identify the minutia that differentiates two products during a comparison, but if nothing else, I am jazzed that I will have a premium quality component that I can slip under the significant other's radar for home office use.

I think as soon as I get the Buffalo I will spend a day or so scrutinizing between the benchmark, buffalo and pico. I still would like to believe that I will hear some huge difference between them, but I am not getting my hopes up. I would probably post some huge (admittedly trite) diatribe on that other site about placebo vs genuine difference in SQ, but from my experience people would just use it to validate their dislike of the gear compared, dismiss my hearing ability, or even worse, turn it in to another "Are all cables snake oil?" discussion.

Self Pity Party of a Disillusioned Audiophile aside, the pico is great little piece of tech. I have always been a huge fan of Justin's work and I think if/when the "Pretty Box" version of the KGSS comes out, I will use it to finally make the step into the world of electrostats.

Edited by raif
added an if to the kgss comment, I am pretty sure I read that somewhere...

I boarded a very similar boat. After reading the comments of the umpteenth Benchmark hater, I decided that I needed some perspective and planned on picking up the pico when it became available, also figuring it would become a secondary rig. Then I started to read about the new Buffalo32s and when the time to order came around, I just got both.

Well the pico came in yesterday and I spent an hour or so comparing between it and the benchmark. I used a very unscientific method of volume matching, but after an hour or so of switching back and forth, I realized I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I know it is a sin in the audiophile world to admit the inability to readily identify the minutia that differentiates two products during a comparison, but if nothing else, I am jazzed that I will have a premium quality component that I can slip under the significant other's radar for home office use.

I think as soon as I get the Buffalo I will spend a day or so scrutinizing between the benchmark, buffalo and pico. I still would like to believe that I will hear some huge difference between them, but I am not getting my hopes up. I would probably post some huge (admittedly trite) diatribe on that other site about placebo vs genuine difference in SQ, but from my experience people would just use it to validate their dislike of the gear compared, dismiss my hearing ability, or even worse, turn it in to another "Are all cables snake oil?" discussion.

Self Pity Party of a Disillusioned Audiophile aside, the pico is great little piece of tech. I have always been a huge fan of Justin's work and I think if/when the "Pretty Box" version of the KGSS comes out, I will use it to finally make the step into the world of electrostats.

Good first post. Welcome.

One would be very hard pressed to get a better DAC than the Pico for 299$ anywhere in my opinion.

No kidding. The only item I'm aware of that is even comparable to the Pico Amp/DAC in price/performance is the Apogee Duet, which is only useful to about 6% of the population :palm:

At $299, the Pico DAC is an absolute no-brainer, for those who can't blow $5k+ on a system.

Started listening tonight, and I have to say, I'm both impressed and underwhelmed at the same time.

Granted I've been listening to my Plinius CD-101 regularly for a long time, often alternating with my Arcam FMJ CD36, and the Pico is a noticeably relative step down from both of them, as it should be of course. The Arcam comparison may be somewhat relevant since it uses the same DAC (WM8740, 2 per channel) and ASRC (AD1896). I find the Pico to have a slightly more diffuse soundstage and a tad leaner both in the mid-range and the bass. This is only a preliminary impression as I didn't compare the two very long.

That said, for an effective $300 (or is it $350 now?), the Pico sounds really damn good and I can't imagine anything else in its price range being any better. I did compare briefly to the Gamma 1 Lite and the Pico absolutely crushes it in every way.

I'm using the Pico coupled to the AE-2 (with Qualia and AD2000) and I definitely prefer the resulting sound more than I did with my former Pico DAC/amp. Never did really like the sound of the DAC/amp that much - in fact, I kinda feel like I'm listening to a HeadAmp product again since there's a relative treble tilt with this combo, which I prefer.

I also have one operational complaint with the Pico DAC - no power LED to indicate when it's plugged into USB, as my Gamma 1 Lite has that feature. Minor quibble though. And my computer doesn't show any pop-ups when I plug it in either, but that might be just my computer.

Yeah, it's pretty spectacular for both size and price and from memory it is clearer than the Gamma lite, though that itself is a mere $80 and damn good. I'm extremely happy to say the least. Plugged into the CTH and Fostex it's an earpoppingly good experience, and I'm really enjoying the experience.

My setup has never been all that hi-end but it's slowly getting up there and this is my best DAC to date, I hope to improve it later if I can. For now, I'm extremely happy.

I kind of want to see someone compare it to the OPUS with the WM8741, granted that is another level of price difference above the Pico, but would be comparative to the difference between the y1 and Pico. Having all three would be a pretty big Wolfson DACfest.

I have a pico and an opus. If I can't case up the buffalo in time for canjam, I'll throw the opus into a simple wood case and bring it instead. I think someone else should have a y1, then we can have a little comparison albeit under meet conditions. Of course, that still leaves out the source and amp...but I think there will be plenty of those around.

edit: Doh, I only have the WM8740 version of the opus.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the Gamma-1 Lite and Pico using two laptops and I wouldn't say the latter crushes the other, but it is undoubtedly better (especially in the bass department). Although I should mention that I tried plugging both the two cables into the Pico (mini-RCA and RCA-RCA so it could be compared side-by-side as well) and I heard absolutely no difference between them.

I guess I'll leave the ESP950 on charge for a few hours, it sounded better after a day being constantly powered by the T1S.