Question on Power Cables and Conditioners

Deadneddz

I was wondering if aftermarket powercables strive to achieve the same effect as a power conditioner and vice versa? I've seen some users only use one or the other so im not sure if they are suppost to compliment each other by using them together, or substitute each other by using only one or the other?

Can anyone clarify this? I've been looking at the Shunyata Hydra 4, but was wondering if a better power cable is all I need.

I've never done a power cable blind test myself, but I don't see how theory could back up any perceptible change other than placebo effect. There are many audio shops that are willing to lend power cables for a short period of time to try in your system, you could always do that if you want to form your own opinion.

I think most were commenting on power cables, not conditioners. I personally use a Brickwall and wouldn't be without it. I also use a couple/three crump audio asylum power cables that i built back when I was asking the same kinds of questions, but would not attribute any sort of sound to them, beyond the fact that components do seem to work better when plugged in.

yeah, i should audition and see if i can detect any difference. I stumbled across a review of the PS audio PPP over on the other site, which got me curious. It seems that many find it a clear improvment when integrated with their gear. But i mean it only makes sense that your gear would suffer if there is lack of current.

Im only trying to understand what these devices attempt to do, and am not sure if they designed to provide a stable current to your gear, or if they are trying to do something else, which some may find complete bs and just creative marketing?

I'd be happy to save my money and plug into an ordinary outlet or use a stock power cable, if this was a better choice.

I think most were commenting on power cables, not conditioners.
Personally, I was commenting on most all power cables, and most all power conditioners. The only ones I would believe in would be the ones that try to completely regenerate the power. That's the only way that makes any sense to me.

I completely believe in surge suppression, though.

While I'm not a great believer in the plating on the AC plug making a huge difference I've spent some time testing AC cords and they do make a difference in some cases. The problem is all our own doing with all these switch mode supplies, wi-fi and etc. sending a lot of noise back onto the mains which the gear can pick up. Then there are the issues many are facing, even with 20 year old electrical systems, the wiring wasn't designed to handle the load of a modern home and often the grounding scheme is a joke. One solution is to just throw a shit load of money at bling cables or rather just fix the problem, either with isolation transformers or dedicated lines.

I thought Zerosurge/Brickwall stuff was just for surge protection and didn't do anything to the signal like conditioners do. Did I miss something?

They do provide some conditioning/noise rejection as well. Like the dimmer in my dining room was causing noise in my system; Monster HTS2000 wouldn't take care of it. Switched to Brickwall; noise gone.