New iPod Shuffle

thrice

Not sure if anyone here cares, but there's a new iPod shuffle out today.

iPod shuffle - Apple Store (U.S.)

Apparently the controls are in the earbud wires.... so that kind sucks as it locks you into Apple's earbuds. I doubt 3rd party companies will even bother to come up with something that you can use with this iPod.

I like the size and form factor though. It would be nice if they kept up the color scheme. I still like my orange shuffle :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh.

I liked the original remote for the first few generations of the iPod, but it had a female plug so you could use it with any headphone. This is just bad news. Looks like I'll be hoping my current Shuffle holds up.

I am curious how the voice prompts turn out. I have a Phatbox in my VW, and I use the AT&T Natrual Voice of Audrey to generate those promts. It's always nice to have a woman's voice with a Brittish accent tell me what's playing. I doubt the Shuffle will have this option!

I watched the video for the new shuffle. If you sync it with a Mac you get a dude's voice... sync it with a PC and you get a woman's voice.

Yeah the lack of 3rd party headphone use or ability to use it as a source seems to be a non-starter for the Mac-faithful over at MacRumors. Of course, that's not who this is for, it's for the masses; people who want something small and easy to use and forget about while working out...etc.

And despite the fact that most of us hate the Apple earbuds, I see them all over campus. Very few students have 3rd party headphones.... most use the white buds.

Interesting that it now appears to charge through the headphone jack, too.

specs_extra_20090311.jpg

I assume someone will shortly sell a little 3.5mm cable adapter with control buttons that you can plug any other phones into. Still, typical Apple/Jobs: "Less buttons! Less buttons!" I bet they'll go to 100% voice control eventually.

Interesting that it now appears to charge through the headphone jack, too.

specs_extra_20090311.jpg

I assume someone will shortly sell a little 3.5mm cable adapter with control buttons that you can plug any other phones into. Still, typical Apple/Jobs: "Less buttons! Less buttons!" I bet they'll go to 100% voice control eventually.

The previous generation shuffle charged and synced through the headphone jack as well. Looks like this new cable is proprietary though :palm:

that stock iBud comes with a mic? so the new shuffle probably compatible with etymotic hf2?

Should be. I suspect at least part of the design motivation with the new shuttle is to try and pressure more 3rd-party manufacturers to support the pickup-and-controls-on-the-wire model that Apple has established for the iPhone/Touch.

Are the controls on a dongle? with a female in?

They are built into the included earbuds.... thus locking you into using Apple's earbuds (or ety's as someone just posted) or waiting for 3rd party manf. to make a headphone with the controls on the wire.

Is it possible to play an album in order or does it always shuffle the tracks? At 35$CAD, the temptation is high as it would make the perfect player for gym.

It doesn't really operate at the album level.... You load it via playlists or by randomly taking tunes from your library. You could construct a playlist with all the tracks in album order and then sync that.... just drag whole albums to the playlist. The unit can either play the playlist from beginning to end or shuffle the playlist.

It's not really designed around listening to albums in order. Really it's designed for track level listening. Dump a bunch of songs you like, hit shuffle and go.

You know, this iPod is so small it kinda makes me wonder why Apple hasn't paired up with a headphone manfac. and come up with a combo headphone/iPod all in one device. I mean, this thing is practically that but with a cable. Senn PX100 with an iPod Shuffle built in.... I'd buy that.