Advice on some power conditioning

shaizada

Hey guys,

I figured posting here would give me a much more intelligent response from some trusted members :)

I already have a Richard Gray Isogray system that is working great for my amplifiers (even though the recommendation for amps is to plug straight into the wall).

My preamp (the infamous RSA B52...don't shoot me) and my Dac are plugged straight into the wall because I didn't like what I was hearing through the Richard Gray conditioning.

So now, I need some power conditioning and am looking for some advice. My Dac is the Reimyo DAP 777. I'm thinking of the PS Audio Power Plant Premier (regenerator), Audience AR1P for Dac and preamp separately and the Nordost Thor.

I've taken out the Shunyata (heard the Vray and didn't like what it was doing in my system).

I'm also going to need dedicated lines, but thats something down the line.

My main issue is the damn popping noise whenever the light in the bathroom is switched on (circuit is being shared). I'd appreciate any advice or direction in this matter.

Thanks folks!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, Grawk....I've really been thinking of just doing the dedicated circuit and completely separate myself from the darn bathroom circuit sharing business.

If I were to go the dedicated circuit route, how should I have them distributed? Digital all on one line, preamp on another and a third line for the amps? I do plan to have a decent vinyl source down the line.

My understanding is that 3 or 4 lines isn't that much more than just having one line put in.

I don't know why I'm avoiding it, but dedicated lines really seem to be the real way to go.

I'm all ears.

A subpanel thats dedicated for audio would be awesome. I guess run all the required lines from there. Now, about wiring...I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick up some Romex and have it cryoed at some local Cryo facility. Thoughts?

CD44hi, from what I've been reading, people actually even use the Audience units in front of their dedicated lines and have gotten much benefit.

Need to get my head wrapped around this thing. Please do continue to throw in your thoughts here.

Thanks!

CD44hi, from what I've been reading, people actually even use the Audience units in front of their dedicated lines and have gotten much benefit.

Need to get my head wrapped around this thing. Please do continue to throw in your thoughts here.

Thanks!

That is my understanding as well. They are very well regarded.

A subpanel thats dedicated for audio would be awesome. I guess run all the required lines from there. Now, about wiring...I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick up some Romex and have it cryoed at some local Cryo facility. Thoughts?

Thanks!

What has Cryo treatment got to do with power conditioning?

Hey guys,

I'd be more than happy to share my perspective with Cryo treatment that I've had so far. With Cryoed stuff, there is definitely some changes in the sound.

I have a matched quad of Sylvania 12BH7A tubes. So, I had one pair Cryoed just to play around and learn. The Cryoed set used in my preamp gain stage gave me a somewhat wider soundstage and more high end details. I did lose out on some bass bloom, but I would say the bass became more articulate compared to the non-cryo set.

I've had similar experiences with the whole power outlet phase I was going through. Played around with different power outlet platings and had very unique experiences. I was able to tailor the sound to my liking and it was definitely a fun and learning experience for me.

Again, don't shoot me ( I now we have some very strongly opinionated members on this board), but I love to learn and try to keep a very open mind for my audio hobby. I used to just dismiss things on theory before, but getting my hands dirty definitely gave me a lesson or two about preconceived notions.

Testing was easy. I both duplex's set up (my Hubbell wall duplex and my Oyaide SWO-XXX) next to each other. I had a friend change the power cord connection without me knowing which one he plugged into. I picked out the one with clearer details and a larger soundstage 6/6 times. It was quite obvious to me actually. I repeated the same thing with the Oyaide R1 and now have both in my system matched up to the right component.

It's really like salt and pepper...add to taste. There are no radical changes in sound, just a different presentation with each.

Anyhow, tweaks are fun especially the ones that work and you keep in your system. Like I mentioned before, I enjoy this hobby and approach it with a very OPEN mind.

Hmmmmm almonds.....why didn't I think of that one! ;)

Well I guess I should be thankful that I drink a lot when I listen to my music and have old tired ears, it sure saves me a lot of money on tweaks. My Oyaide connectors sound the same to me as my Oyaide clones and my dedicated line that is 1/2 meter from the panel sounds the same as my non-hospital grade outlets that are fifty feet from the other panel. We all hear differently and I guess that is a good thing.

Augsburger... truer words have never been spoken :)

I perceive very small changes in sound, so tweaks are very annoying and rewarding at the same time.

As for dedicated lines, seems like you had very good power to begin with and maybe didn't get much of a benefit. I have one my my bathrooms attached to my audio circuit and it drives me nutsssssssssssss with the popping sound if a light/fan is switched on in there.

I'm still evaluating my options, but seems like dedicated line is the intelligent way to go. The audio nut in me want to buy a component for power conditioning, but I'm weighing the pros and cons here :)