Advice on some power conditioning

shaizada

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should take back my :palm: .. Perhaps the Crump cord can be used to improve the old meter? Win-win?

Perhaps it can.

The sound of this cord is just awesome and it is tough to beat everything it does with an aftermarket cord......Designing aftermarket cords is tricky as a designer can get caught up in one parameter at the expense of another. This old reference brings me back to reality....

I wonder what's so tricky about aftermarket power cord design? The fact that there's three connectors as opposed to a RCA's two?

V~200 should have been plenty.

Meter <-:basement:

Well I agree that the meter sucks, but I don't think V~200 should have been plenty, specifically because the meter sucks. It's probably not true RMS so I'm guessing it's measuring peak to peak voltages and multiplying by 1/sqrt(2)/2. 200V/sqrt(2)/2 = 70.7V.

V~200 should have been plenty.

Meter <-:basement:

Yes that was my reasoning too, won't be using this meter anymore...

I wonder what's so tricky about aftermarket power cord design? The fact that there's three connectors as opposed to a RCA's two?

probably coming up with some new terms for marketing purposes?

• 5 months later...

Might as well use this thread since it is in the same vein of inquiry:

I'm not asking about power conditioners, but rather, power distributors/power strips (no filters, no conditioning, etc). I've seen some crazy prices for these marketed as audiophile grade. Any of you have/tested one of these? Heard any differences between one and say, a $15 power strip bought in Home Depot?

Usually what you'll get with one is better duplex receptacles and better connector wiring inside. Home Depot strips are built to a price point based on highest margin (likely, anyway) so the crap factor would be high if it retailed at $15. If you've ever ripped one apart, you'll find that many are not even wired together. They have weird form-fitted metal strips connecting the works up instead.

From my own experience, I had one'a them HomeDe'Po strips around when I was auditioning a Shunyata unit (conditioner). The biggest shock in the weekend demo was not how good everything sounded when using the Shunyata, but how truly awful everything was when going back to the cheap power strip. Good gawd. Soundstage collapsed, noise showed up, and an amazing batch of bleh was injected into my tunes.

Synergistic is making a strip, and you might even be able to find an older AudioPrism, although both proably retail for around $500. They seem a little expensive.

You might be able to find a metal-framed power strip at HD and then retrofit it with better receptacles and wiring for less. Do.U.DIY?

• 6 years later...

Pardon me to revive the thread.  But coming across the PS Audio P5 or P10, and seeing this regenerator is basically a generator that use main AC as it source.  What does it differ than just any Generators that I can find from Home Depot or Lowe that uses Propane gas as it sources ?

19 minutes ago, grawk said:

the lack of combustion fumes?

Now that is another level of high eh :D .  Nice one, it makes these PS a good home used generator for audio equipments.  I was asking because here at my place, I could just have a huge exterior propane generator setup for 20kW that cost less than P10 and not worrying about the fumes, and can back my whole house up in power outages

Edited by Whitigir

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 10:31 AM, Whitigir said:

Now that is another level of high eh :D .  Nice one, it makes these PS a good home used generator for audio equipments.  I was asking because here at my place, I could just have a huge exterior propane generator setup for 20kW that cost less than P10 and not worrying about the fumes, and can back my whole house up in power outages

I bet the exterior gas generator isn't made up of unobtanium and coconut shells, tho