zune 120 or iPod Classic?

Chekhonte

I need to replace my broken iPod and I'm not sure whether to get an iPod Classic or Zune 120GB. From what I hear the new Zunes are pretty good and the syncing software is not an embarrassment any longer. The problem is that I don't know anybody that acutally has one. Have any of you had a chance to monkey around with one? I like ipods but the headphone jack seems to be a weak point, my past two classics have broke pretty quick and on the last one apple refused to fix it. What do you guys think?

I've used an iPod 2G, 4G, Nano and now a Touch and I've never had a single problem with the headphone jack, but I'm pretty careful with electronics in general. One of my friends has a Zune and I've played with it a bit, but I don't really like the feeling of the user interface. Depending on how important storage capacity is for you, the iPod Touch is a pleasure to use and the fact that it can do wireless internet is worth the price of admission alone.

I've used an iPod 2G, 4G, Nano and now a Touch and I've never had a single problem with the headphone jack, but I'm pretty careful with electronics in general. One of my friends has a Zune and I've played with it a bit, but I don't really like the feeling of the user interface. Depending on how important storage capacity is for you, the iPod Touch is a pleasure to use and the fact that it can do wireless internet is worth the price of admission alone.

I going to get one for sure when the storage and price is right. They are really cool and fun to play around with. The only thing I don't like about is that you can't pause them through you pocket like you can with tactile buttons. Storage is the selling point for me. I have a 1 terabyte music collection and about another 50GB in This American Life and other talk radio podcasts.

The nice thing about the iphone/ipod touch is there are streaming apps that make it so you don't have to have your library with you when you have network access. Keep the 8 16 or 32gb of music you want in highest fidelity with you, and stream the rest.

Chekonte, I still would suggest changing the headphone jack to see if that fixes the problem. It should be under $10 if it doesnt work, but if it does, you saved $100+.

Grawk, how well do the streaming apps work? Do you have any problems listening to high bitrate mp3s through it?

Chekonte, I still would suggest changing the headphone jack to see if that fixes the problem. It should be under $10 if it doesnt work, but if it does, you saved $100+.

Grawk, how well do the streaming apps work? Do you have any problems listening to high bitrate mp3s through it?

I will try it but when fedex shipped it back it was with a signature and it was the end of the school quarter last week and I didn't have a chance to pick it up. When I went to the fedex center on saturday they informed me that they had already sent it back to apple.:palm: I really need a mp3 player before I go though hassle of having it shipped back to me. i'll fix it and sell it to a friend so I won't be losing much money by buying a new one.

that does sound pretty sweet. I might have to consider the touch. When you say stream your music do you mean that you stream it from your computer or from the internet?

Both. Download simplify media. There are also lots of web radio type ads. Pandora is free on ipo

I haven't had any problems. I don't use it very often, because the iphone is the wife's, but I use the mac client occassionally, and it works pretty well.

I just don't want to spend 400 bucks on a player right now. The sculpture class I'm taking requires about 500 dollars in materials and I don't make much money and only get about 2000 dollars in scholarships stipend a quarter.

Wait for the fall, Apple typically has deals on computer/iPod combos... of course that is contingent on needing a desktop or laptop.

Not sure if you are still considering one or not but I have a Zune 120 and love it.

Pros:

SQ

Great UI and Controls

Excellent Build and Durability (I use mine a lot and it still looks brand new)

Nice big album art

Cons:

No EQ

Limited format support (no FLAC or OGG)

I don't use an EQ or lossless on portables so the cons are a non issue for me but may be for you or others.

I don't use the Zune Marketplace, or most other aspects of the "Social" but some like it.

We have 4 Zunes in my house and we sometimes "squirt" (yeah, I know) songs back and forth to share new music but the 3 play limit is lame.

I also have the Zune Car Pack II which lets me hear my Zune through my FM radio in my car. Works pretty good for me but others have had mixed results with it.

The Zune is a decent player with really good SQ but if you like accessories and and all the cool apps that you can get you can't beat the iTouch.

The main sacrifice with the iTouch would be storage. I like having 120GB so the Zune works for me.

I have a zune 80, and the lack of flac support (and the lack of 3rd party hacks that will get me flac support) is really getting on my nerves nowadays. The SQ is fine, but nothing OMGWTFBBQ - the iMods easily outpaces it by a fair distance.

*wants an ipod 5.5g + 240gb hard disk mod + imod*

• 2 weeks later...
*wants an ipod 5.5g + 240gb hard disk mod + imod*

I had no idea they could do this!!

That sounds like an awesome portable rig and it comes in at a price that's cheaper than a 32GB Touch.

That's a tough decision. Wait...do you really need to get the ALO dock for a 5.5G iMod?