OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

Uhh as far as I know there are only a select number of PS3's that can play PS2 games with the new slim not being one of them.

Yeah, I know but I don't have that many games.

Yes, but not especially well. I wouldn't use it in place of a decent DVD player.

Hmm, I'll have to think about this. The Oppo 980 is a good upconverter. Maybe I'll have to keep both the PS3 and the Oppo HD980.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering why DVD upscaling is even really in the discussion? I mean over time it's a format that is going to die, even TV shows are being released in BR.

And I've watched DVDs on my PS3 on my 42" set and while it is unquestionably not the same as a BR disc it's not objectionable to me. I'm pretty happy with how it upscales lossy downloaded files as well, certainly way better than my old D-link media server ever did. Perhaps I'm just not that picky about video quality? I do wish they'd get cracking on the whole Netflix streaming option.

It's in the discussion mostly likely for the people that have huge collections of DVD's, I probably have 300 dvd's and there's no way I'm going to re-buy them all on Blu-Ray.

The PS3's upscaling isn't great but if it's all you have it'll do just fine and I also agree I've never had an issue with the noise level of the PS3 I don't even hear it when I'm watching a movie.

Unfortunately I wouldn't expect netflix streaming on the PS3 anytime soon.

I'm wondering why DVD upscaling is even really in the discussion? I mean over time it's a format that is going to die, even TV shows are being released in BR.

I might be missing something, but why wouldn't it be in the discussion? BR will also die, and may in fact might (maybe likely) before DVD depending on how quickly downloads ramp up. Add to the content question (films just getting to DVD, that may never to BR), prices, collectors (as most content needs to be relicensed, there will be video extras, booklets, etc. that change/are eliminated in future releases and there's a movement to collect current versions), and most people likely not replacing titles they already own, DVDs are going nowhere soon. In fact a cleaned-up Criterion DVD could conceivably be a superior experience than a Fox Blu-ray.

How is this different than redbook discussions of SACD/DVD-A players (and we know how that turned out)?

In my experience a well done Bluray absolutely trounces even the best DVDs.
Using what system? I've seen a really good Faroudja into a CRT projector, and DVD res vs. high-res was almost indiscernible. The two places where I could tell the difference were: (1) direct-to-highdef, such as sports desk on CNN and late night with Jay Leno (yes, this was back then), and (2) CGI (Finding Nemo). Then switching to a DLP projector, the differences became a little more visible (we compared Final Cut of Blade Runner DVD vs. Blu-Ray -- so the same exact transfer) -- it was visible, but not intolerable. That was with an inferior upscaler and using the PS3 as a transport. I have a feeling a really good player and a really good upscaler will bring them much closer together. (For reference, the DLP was much clearer than the CRT, but the CRT had warmer tones.)

You can stream Netflix, hulu and some other things on PS3 using PlayOn from Media Mall (since the PS3 is a DLNA-compliant device). I have been using PlayOn with PopCorn Hour A-110 network media device for the last 7 months and it is a little buggy (you have to learn some tricks) but works most of the time. It seems to be working better with the recent software updates.

PlayOn Digital Media Server | MediaMall Technologies

It's in the discussion mostly likely for the people that have huge collections of DVD's, I probably have 300 dvd's and there's no way I'm going to re-buy them all on Blu-Ray.

The PS3's upscaling isn't great but if it's all you have it'll do just fine and I also agree I've never had an issue with the noise level of the PS3 I don't even hear it when I'm watching a movie.

Unfortunately I wouldn't expect netflix streaming on the PS3 anytime soon.

Slowly, ever so slowly we're beginning to learn about the internal differences between Sony's new PS3 Slim and its chubby ancestry. We already knew that it supported BraviaLink while talk of "faster gaming" was introduced (suspiciously) yesterday; something that remains very much in doubt until we can confirm. Now we hear that the fatboy gone slim supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream output to your receiver. Hear that audio nerds? Bitstream. See the HDMI chip on previous generations of the PS3 didn't support bitstream output of the new(ish) high def codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. As such, the PS3 had to decode it internally before sending it over to your receiver via LPCM. A process that could garble the lossless audio depending on your setup. Even though the vast majority of people will never notice the difference (or even care), PS3 Slim owners can still kick back in smug satisfaction each time the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA indicators light-up on their receivers.

& it has a newer, 45nm cpu to boot...i'd still take the oppo, but that's kinda nice...

• 2 months later...