OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that now, but I was talking about the one they took out an ad on a magazine recently (Absolute Sound, IIRC). Unless, of course, that Special Edition and Nu-Force Edition are one and the same thing.

I read the NuForce page to say that the SE and NuForce edition are not the same, but the NuForce upgrades the analog output stage of the stock SE version.

OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player is an exciting upgrade based on the highly acclaimed BDP-83. Already well known for its exceptional audio and video performance, the BDP-83 is upgraded with an all new analog audio stage and improved power supply to become the Special Edition. Designed for the discerning audio enthusiast, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player delivers an exceptionally wide dynamic range, ultra low distortion, accurate sound stage and jitter-free music clarity via its dedicated stereo and 7.1ch analog audio output.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

Just like the BDP-83 it is based on, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player featuring bit-stream and full decoding capability for high resolution audio tracks such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Designed for both home theater viewers and music listeners, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and standard CD with excellent video and audio performance in addition to Blu-ray Discs. For a detailed list of features, please refer to the BDP-83 Features and Specifications page.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.

(emphasis mine)

I was under the impression that the only difference was the Sabre DACs, but the all new analog output stage puts a smile on my face. This could be a swell sounding player, the true universal (even HDCD!) deck I've been wanting for years, and for just $900. :)

Nuforce has worked very closely with Oppo, in the development of Oppos audio boards. And the same is true for the Oppo BDP-83 SE audio board.

What Oppo and Nuforce have done with the development of this new audio board is to enhance the analog audio. Particularly the 2ch analog side. The audio board has been completely redone, using the ESS Technology

post-1831-12951155418998_thumb.jpg

post-1831-12951155419927_thumb.jpg

Well, for the record, (a) you can't take down your post, (B) we have no problem with merchants, members of the trade, or even people associated with merchants or members of the trade posting in here, as long as they are up front about it. I mean, we have to get our information from somewhere, and this is...well, it's not exactly the information we're curious about, we'd be really most curious as to the technical details of exactly the changes made to the analog output stage, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

So why don't you just come clean now and tell us who you are, and how you're associated with Oppo, Nuforce, or whomever, directly or indirectly.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, it looks like you were just parroting Neuromancer from AVSForum, who is probably the merchant, member of the trade, or whatever. All the same, thanks for the info. Next time feel free to link right away, it'll save you some grief. E.G.:

At the core, the BDP-83 and the BDP-SE are identical. The only benefit of the BDP-83SE over that of the BDP-83 is the enhanced ANALOG AUDIO performance. Because audio performance is a very subjective and often heated subject, I felt it was prudent to start a new thread as to not interfere with the general discussion of the BDP-83/BDP-83SE.

For this reason, please only use this thread for discussing the ANALOG AUDIO performance of the BDP-83SE. For all other discussion, including bug reports, end user reports, and general questions, please use the pre-established Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]. Firmware upgrades will also be announced and listed in the BDP-83 Owner's Thread.

Features:

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player is an exciting upgrade based on the highly acclaimed BDP-83. Already well known for its exceptional audio and video performance, the BDP-83 is upgraded with an an all new analog audio stage and improved power supply to become the Special Edition. Designed for the discerning audio enthusiast, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player delivers an exceptionally wide dynamic range, ultra low distortion, accurate sound stage and jitter-free music clarity via its dedicated stereo and 7.1ch analog audio output.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

Just like the BDP-83 it is based on, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player featuring bit-stream and full decoding capability for high resolution audio tracks such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Designed for both home theater viewers and music listeners, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and standard CD with excellent video and audio performance in addition to Blu-ray Discs. For a detailed list of features, please refer to the BDP-83 Features and Specifications page.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.

BDP-83 to BDP-83SE Modification Upgrade Path:

Cost: $299 plus shipping to OPPO Digital Inc. This fee covers all parts, labor, and return ground shipping.

What is Modified:

Audio Board

Power Supply Board

Back Panel with RS232 port

Who Qualifies: Any customer who bought the player prior to November 9, 2009 and is living in the continental United States.

What About International Customers: All international customers must inquire about the modification from their local retailer channel. Please contact OPPO Digital, Inc for a list of retailers in your specific region.

Source

I do find the part about an upgrade path interesting, although I'll probably just get a second one for the office. I'll probably get the Oppo SE rather than the Nuforce SE, since they're both competing upgrading the analog output stage, and I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling that spending more will get me more, since I'm already getting a lot with the non-SE version.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I do however need to edit my post. I was corrected by NuForce.

I guess I just misunderstood what they were telling me.

This is what Nuforce posted. And this is the correction.

It seems that Nuforce SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing. :chair:

This is a link to these posts. By me and NuForce.

Official BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum

ss

Hey Dusty, I found this at Nuforce's section on Audio Circle:

The improved power supply is on the analog audio supplies, so there should be no impact to the HDMI output. However, we believe the analog output on both the SE and Nuforce edition could easily better most HDMI processors (unless you are using $7K plus processor that does fancy DSP re-clocking like Lexicon or Meridian).

Nuforce Edition does not add/replace the original SE power supply, we change the regulation and other related circuit as necessary as to power the different analog output stage.

Since the SE is already very good, easily better or equal to audiophile CD Player up to $2500, and we do have limitation on board space: 50% of the SE board real estate is allocated for the 2-channel stereo, while the other 50% is used by all of the 8-channel (running off a single 8-channel Sabre32), and therefore, we keep the surround channels' analog circuit unchanged. However, since the power supply regulation has been changed, the surround channels benefits from better/stiffer regulation.

To upgrade a regular BDP-83 to SE or Nuforce Edition, both the analog DAC board and the original power supply must be replaced.

OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!

Never mind, it looks like you were just parroting Neuromancer from AVSForum, who is probably the merchant, member of the trade, or whatever.

Although it's probably impolitic for me to reply to this, I doubt Neuromancer knows of this forum and I wouldn't want anyone to be incorrectly characterized.

My knowledge of Neuromancer on AVSForum is simply that he was part of the BDP-83 beta program and really likes the OPPO product line. He was/is a prolific poster in BDP-83 related threads and has been for quite some time now. I do not believe he has any other association with OPPO.

I met the stateside OPPO folks at their office in Mountain View a few years back when they first launched. Great people.

I am interested in the Special Edition and the NuForce Edition... at least theoretically. Although they are a big jump in price from the stock unit, they seem to offer similar benefits to a modded OPPO player at the same price.

I'm looking for an upsampling DVD player for an HDTV and if it happens to have great SACD/DVD-A/HDCD multichannel playback, that would be ideal. I doubt that I'll be buying any Blu-ray discs in the next few years, so quality DVD playback is critical.