OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

I just read through the thread and unless I missed it, I don't think I saw a review of the SE version of the Oppo - does anyone here have one, and might care to comment on the sound out of the analog stereo outs (i.e. for CD listening, and hopefully upcoming FLAC/ALAC support).

A local retailer is selling one for just under $1000 CAD in Toronto, and while they have a 15-day return policy, I'd rather not was everyone's time buying one blind.

I'm mostly interested in the CD-P part (hence the SE), but as I don't have a BDP at the moment an all-in-one solution is tempting.

Thanks,

Sameer

Spot on. The custom installer will just tell the rich customer that "Lexicon is the best" and everybody will be happy. Actually, the customer will probably be better off than if Lexicon actually did try to build their own Blu-ray player, because it would be buggy as shit. You should see the AVS threads about the Cary pre-pros. Not pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like the biggest difference for us is a) no dedicated stereo outputs with the 80 (shares outputs with the 7.1 outs) and B) SACD via the analog outs is PCM instead of DSD.

I would imagine the analog outputs wouldn't be as good as the BDP-83 either.

OPPO BDP-80 Blu-ray Disc Player - Comparison

83 vs 80 direct comparison and explanations. The 80 really is surprisingly close to the 83. You give up a little in the build quality area, the ABT video processing on DVDs and that's about it. I'm not even sure there's a loss in the DAC area. If there is, it's negligible except for one detail: The 83 has seperate, dedicated stereo analog outs in addition to the 7.1 multichannel outs and the 80 simply has the 7.1 multichannel analog outs by themselves.

The 80 is a heck of a bargain all told IMO but I think the 83's are bargains at their price points as well. Obviously Lexicon agrees with me. ;)

OPPO BDP-80 Blu-ray Disc Player - Comparison

83 vs 80 direct comparison and explanations. The 80 really is surprisingly close to the 83. You give up a little in the build quality area, the ABT video processing on DVDs and that's about it. I'm not even sure there's a loss in the DAC area. If there is, it's negligible except for one detail: The 83 has seperate, dedicated stereo analog outs in addition to the 7.1 multichannel outs and the 80 simply has the 7.1 multichannel analog outs by themselves.

The 80 is a heck of a bargain all told IMO but I think the 83's are bargains at their price points as well. Obviously Lexicon agrees with me. ;)

again, the 80 only outputs PCM over analog, the 83 does DSD over analog. this is the biggest difference for audio types.

Got BDP-83SE back from Oppo yesterday. First impression is based on movie watching only, but FWIW this thing sounds good. Clean precise imaging, very fast and detailed, strong low-end performance. Great value for $300 on top of the original player cost... and that's before the burn-in.

(Using 7.1 channel analog output into Outlaw 990. In comparison, digital input to 990...sucks)

Edited by hirsch

Been toying with the idea of getting a Modwright 83SE ....

to replace my SACDMods Denon 3930CI and my Panny Bluray player.

Anyone know what type of audio processing the 83SE does, i.e. upsampling to 96khz or upconversion to 24 bit?

I know the Denon upsamples to 96/24 as part of the Advanced AL 24 processing.