OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine isn't quite burned in yet. I maybe have about 60 hours on it, but so far it sounds good. I'm not going to try to compare too much as I was without my BDP-83 for over 2 and a half weeks and I haven't really listened except for background music for the last week since getting it back, but I will say that I don't regret spending the $300 for the upgrade.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
again, the 80 only outputs PCM over analog, the 83 does DSD over analog. this is the biggest difference for audio types.

I noticed that on that Oppo page also. Call me crazy, but isn't this nonsensical? Analog is not digital. Yet PCM and DSD are both digital formats......Analog outputs can not output PCM or DSD. period.

Maybe they're talking about the DA conversion process? Most players will convert DSD to PCM and use the same DAC as for a redbook disc. Maybe they're saying the cheaper player converts DSD to PCM prior to generating the analog signal?

JB

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am in the market for a bluray player that upscaled standard DVD well, and by all accounts the oppo 83 is the best (apparently even better than the 93 in regards to DVD upscaling). I was set on going with a panny bd85 which is supposed to be very good for bluray playback and DVD, but all the network features i already have with my panny g25 viera cast, and oppo is apparently extremely high quality as a bluray and DVD player. Also, being a universal player and upgradeability to the se version may allow me to combine my video and audio rig with the oppo as my source.

My question is how much is a reasonable price for a used oppo 83? Audiogon sells them very quick, but the ones remaining are around 400. The panny bd85 can be had for less than $200, and though its video playback is considered to be very good, its not an oppo, and I am trying to determine if its worth it to go for the oppo vs. the panny.

My Oppo BDP-83 upscales standard DVD better than any other player I've encountered. So much so that I pay little attention to whether or not I can rent a movie in Bluray. Bluray does have noticeably better audio though.

$400.00 seems reasonable to me. I sure wouldn't consider letting mine go, even at that price, so it's what the market dictates. Still worth every penny IMO.

Although anything and everything I have is for sale for the right price ... except my bride ... I'm not looking to let the Oppo go. Videophiles will probably notice the difference between DVD and Bluray, but on the BDP-83 the picture is pretty much the same.

No idea on the used values, but $400 seems high unless it includes shipping and pay pal fees.

• 3 weeks later...