Cary 306 professional sound

riceboy

Hi Everyone. I just heard the Cary 306 professional and I loved how it sounded. It had a bunch of detail and the highs sounded bright to me, but it didn't sound harsh or shrill. Also, every instrument and the vocals had it's own space. Overall it was just amazing.

What is a good price for a used one? Also, does anyone know of a comparable source that may be a little cheaper?

Thanks for any help or sugguestions.

Riceboy,

From my experience, the treble energy on the Cary 306SACD pro and the R10 might be a bit much. When I had the Cary 306 SACD awhile back I thought that it was an excellent sounding source with just a bit too much upper registers. You might want to check out the Exemplar 5910 with the R10 though.

Riceboy,

From my experience, the treble energy on the Cary 306SACD pro and the R10 might be a bit much. When I had the Cary 306 SACD awhile back I thought that it was an excellent sounding source with just a bit too much upper registers. You might want to check out the Exemplar 5910 with the R10 though.

Thanks Purk. I'm hoping I'd get to try the Cary 306 Pro with my maxed out SDS and other amps. I do like how the Cary 306 separates everything so beautifully with much detail. The sound IMHO is organic and rich.

i haven't heard the pro, but i really liked the 306 SACD, which i didn't think was bright. the 306 SACD, with SACDs, was the best source i've heard, i imagine the Pro is even better.

Thanks Reks for the input. I guess it sounded bright with the R10s, but it wasn't in a bad way at all, and it sounded really, really good :)

You can get Moon Audio's demo unit (from the North Carolina CanFest 2009) for $5600, it's listed on the Web site here: Specials

At one point in time I would've already jumped on that, but I recently realized it's not worth investing too much into a source for a headphone system - definitely worth it for a speaker system though. :)

Speaking of this CDP, Stereophile's review of it last year said it sounded a lot like the Ayre C-5xe. Not that Stereophile is really a reliable source but it could very well be possible the two have a sonic similarity.

...I recently realized it's not worth investing too much into a source for a headphone system - definitely worth it for a speaker system though. :)

Not sure I agree with this. I have both speaker systems and headphone systems, and the quality of music reproduction in both depends upon a quality source.

The resolution on many high-end headphones is amazing, and definitely reveals the quality of the source. If you have a marginal source in high-end headphone listening, the intimacy of the musical experience with headphones really lets you know quickly that something is wrong.

My feeling is that the source is equally important for both, if not a little more important for headphones.

Oh, and BTW Riceboy, I am glad you liked the Cary! ;D

Not sure I agree with this. I have both speaker systems and headphone systems, and the quality of music reproduction in both depends upon a quality source.

The resolution on many high-end headphones is amazing, and definitely reveals the quality of the source. If you have a marginal source in high-end headphone listening, the intimacy of the musical experience with headphones really lets you know quickly that something is wrong.

My feeling is that the source is equally important for both, if not a little more important for headphones.

Oh, and BTW Riceboy, I am glad you liked the Cary! ;D

I have to agree with 4n6 that in my experience high end headphones really does reveal the quality of the source, but I'm sure everyone's experience differs.

Thanks 4n6. I really do like the Cary 306 Professional.

You can get Moon Audio's demo unit (from the North Carolina CanFest 2009) for $5600, it's listed on the Web site here: Specials

At one point in time I would've already jumped on that, but I recently realized it's not worth investing too much into a source for a headphone system - definitely worth it for a speaker system though. :)

Speaking of this CDP, Stereophile's review of it last year said it sounded a lot like the Ayre C-5xe. Not that Stereophile is really a reliable source but it could very well be possible the two have a sonic similarity.

Thanks ASR for the link to the specials page on Moon Audio :). I might have to give Drew a call ;).

Just to be evil and make any new source decision harder for you, I suggest you take a look at Galen Carol Audio Steals page. There you'll find a used Audio Aero Capitole that's been upgraded to SE version for a lot less than the demo Cary. Did I say a lot less?

There's no need to thank me. >:D >:D

Oh noes. That is very >:D. That is a great price for a wonderful source :). Thanks for the link guzziguy :)

Thanks everyone for all your help and input. I've decided to purchase the Cary 306 SACD Professional.

So far I've been very, very, happy with it in redbook and SACD. It is just amazing and I'm hearing things in my old CDs I never heard or picked up on before.

Thanks again everyone :)

Thanks everyone for all your help and input. I've decided to purchase the Cary 306 SACD Professional.

So far I've been very, very, happy with it in redbook and SACD. It is just amazing and I'm hearing things in my old CDs I never heard or picked up on before.

Thanks again everyone :)

Congrats and excellent choice.

Could you compare the CD spun on the Cary vs. digital input on the Cary (lossless from computer) and share your thoughts on the differences later? TIA

• 1 month later...

Do you have any further thoughts on the Cary, Riceboy? I'm very interested in a good cd/sacd player that will also handle digital input from my Mac at up to 24/96 and am seeing some nice used prices on the original 306s now that the pro version is out.

Also, If anyone else knows of other options fitting the above description, please feel free to point me in the appropriate direction! :)

Well, it looks like you can get the Mk1 Carys for around $3K if you're patient. That also brings various AA Capitoles into play, but I'm a little confused about the version history there. Ideally I'd like to be able to play physical SACDs, but could certainly live with very good Redbook plus 24/96 digital in. :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to again harp on the fact that high end audio companies can't make an SACDP with a transport that is worth a shit. krell, cary, sony, and even the not ad popular McIntosh units all have transports with notorious fail rates. and the solution is always to release an updated model costing thousands more dollars retail. the transport in oppo DVD players is more reliable then most high end crap.

Do you have any further thoughts on the Cary, Riceboy? I'm very interested in a good cd/sacd player that will also handle digital input from my Mac at up to 24/96 and am seeing some nice used prices on the original 306s now that the pro version is out.

Also, If anyone else knows of other options fitting the above description, please feel free to point me in the appropriate direction! :)

Hi Hopstretch. I started to use the digital inputs to connect to my computer and listen to Rhapsody and my FLAC files just last week. All I can say is that the sound coming from my computer is the best I've ever heard. It is very, very detailed. It is by far the best my computer files and Rhapsody has ever sounded. Also, the SACD portion of this CD player is fantastic. Overall, I'm happy with this CD player and enjoy it every chance I get. If you would like to talk over about the 306 SACD Professional or anything I had owned before just let me know and I'll be happy to help :). Best of luck on your search.