Digital SLR Recommendations

tkam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I ended up spending more time with the various canon and nikon models at the local Ritz Camera yesterday. Decided to go with the D90, the price @ Ritz wasn't very good so I just ordered the following from Amazon:

D90 Body

Nikon 18-200mm

Nikon 50mm

SB-600 w/ diffuser

I don't currently have a camera bag big enough for all that so I'd like some suggestions for a relatively cheap bag.

Congrats. That looks like a nice kit - my friend uses the 18-200 and she loves it. I've got an SB-600 with my D300 and it's perfect - the "remote commander" is nice for off-camera flash. I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm a Nikon user who would have recommended you get "whichever camera system you friends use the most often, so you can share lenses, etc".

Tamrac makes a nice *backpack* that will fit all that along with a laptop, if you want to travel with all of it. The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags I'd recommend a backpack or something with space to hold your lunch, etc, for day-long shooting trips. You can kinda holster a tripod on the side, shoving the legs into the water bottle pouch.

It was about $90 CAD, for me. Not cheap, but not as much as the Lowepro Computrekker that I had to upgrade to when I got more glass.

I'm a bit late to the party (very late?), but I'm surprised nobody suggested the Sony A700?! The high iso performance is quite similar to Canon / Nikon, dpreview updated their review using the new firmware. Agreed, it doesn't have fancy live view but since it's been out there for a while, it's quite a bargain! Plus, you came from a Sony a100, so I think you had some lenses already?

Sony has some really nice (Zeiss or old school Minolta) lenses, plus it has image stabilisation for all lenses since the camera has in-body stabilisation.

Anyways, you bought the D90 already. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's a great camera!

PS: any nice Sony / Minolta lenses you need to sell?? :-p