Audio-gd

tkam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currawong, what are you using as a transport to your Ref. 1?

I'm going MacBook Pro -> Audiotrak Prodigy Cube (USB to Coax) -> Ref 1. Kingwa refused to put add a third input and use a switch, which would have been perfect for the MBP, as he reckons it would degrade the sound quality. I regret now not asking that the coax input be replaced with optical, as the BNC can be used as a coax input with an adaptor.

• 4 weeks later...

PCM1704 should have a power dissipation of 175mW. A SOIC-20 package will heat up about 200F/watt. That's an increase of 35F so if you have a room temperature of 75F, and the PCM1704 is sitting in open air, it would be 110F. It's reasonable if you have an enclosed case and other components increasing the ambient temperature inside the case that you would get 127F

That's only 53C, so not that hot. I know TDA1541As habitually run hot.. many develop distortions, lots of time only in one channel, so you will see people putting DIP heatsinks, etc. on them. Never measured temp on them nor read temps anywhere though.

Man, that thread has some rabid fanboy display goin' on. Every time I open it I get little flecks of spittle on the inside of my monitor screen. ;)

For a moment there, I thought the followers were going to turn on the original disciple for daring to suggest that improvements might be possible to the Ref 1 design. It's all reminiscent of the bit with the holy relics from Life Of Brian --"The gourd! The gourd!" "No, follow the sandal!"

Yeah, between that thread and the Valab DAC mod thread (Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio), plenty of crud on the inside of the monitor (great analogy by the way... my monitor is glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read it :P). I keep getting the visual of jumping the shark in that one, but decided better to just stay out of these types of threads and treat them as a car crash in progress.

Yeah, between that thread and the Valab DAC mod thread (Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio), plenty of crud on the inside of the monitor (great analogy by the way... my monitor is glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read it :P). I keep getting the visual of jumping the shark in that one, but decided better to just stay out of these types of threads and treat them as a car crash in progress.

Interconnect with a toroid inline? I've never heard of that...

Man, that thread has some rabid fanboy display goin' on. Every time I open it I get little flecks of spittle on the inside of my monitor screen. ;)

I assure you, neither of my hands are under the table at any time. ;)

God help me if I actually ever say that a piece of equipment brings me more enjoyment listening to music. :P

God help me if I actually ever say that a piece of equipment brings me more enjoyment listening to music. :P

Yes. Getting run over by one's own bandwagon could be a painful experience. ;)

No personal offense meant, by the way. I look forward to meeting you and hearing some of the Audio-gd gear at CanJam and am quite willing to believe it's an absolute steal for what they're charging. The fervor over on HF has reached quasi-religious levels, though, so it's probably about time for the first schism!

Does the Reference One support 24/192 or just up to 24/96?

24/192 AFAIK.

Yes. Getting run over by one's own bandwagon could be a painful experience. ;)

No personal offense meant, by the way. I look forward to meeting you and hearing some of the Audio-gd gear at CanJam and am quite willing to believe it's an absolute steal for what they're charging. The fervor over on HF has reached quasi-religious levels, though, so it's probably about time for the first schism!

You're giving me a visual image of a mob, shovels and other tools in hand heading towards Head-fi. ;)

I'm going to have to bail on Canjam I'm afraid. Too much happening here for me to go and I couldn't get flights at the times I wanted.

I was hoping there'd be more technical discussion here about the designs, but I guess that will have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...