Audio-gd

tkam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You listened to the C-2C amp?

No, it was a Compass. USB input wouldn't work, switch on the front panel had four stops instead of the 3 it should have (mystery input?) and Gene's quote after listening for a bit with the HF-2 was, "Wow, that sounded like shit." I wouldn't hold him to that initial impression but functionally it was not at all impressive. No instructions and not particularly intuitive - what the hell does the "S" button do?

Yeah, S/Super mode disconnects the DAC and amp to be used independently. On first album (Kate Rusby) I thought it sounded great, but that disappeared on next few. Still the Compass offers a lot of functionally for the price and a decent work rig (how I use) depending, of course, on conditions. SQ nowhere close to what's being reported some places though. Amp better than the DAC and as preamp it sounds especially poor.

Since I inherited Genes Compass, can vouch the USB does indeed work, though maybe that's because I'm using it with the $550 magic USB cable I won.

No, it was a Compass. USB input wouldn't work, switch on the front panel had four stops instead of the 3 it should have (mystery input?) and Gene's quote after listening for a bit with the HF-2 was, "Wow, that sounded like shit." I wouldn't hold him to that initial impression but functionally it was not at all impressive. No instructions and not particularly intuitive - what the hell does the "S" button do?

snakes.

Or maybe Gene got it right: shit.

Yeah, S/Super mode disconnects the DAC and amp to be used independently. On first album (Kate Rusby) I thought it sounded great, but that disappeared on next few. Still the Compass offers a lot of functionally for the price and a decent work rig (how I use) depending, of course, on conditions. SQ nowhere close to what's being reported some places though. Amp better than the DAC and as preamp it sounds especially poor.

Since I inherited Genes Compass, can vouch the USB does indeed work, though maybe that's because I'm using it with the $550 magic USB cable I won.

Next up....a DAC that requires a $1200 usb cable to work.

Considering grawk had a go at me for writing it in chat, I'm surprised none of you read the FAQ, which tells you what the S button does. :palm:
I did not see a FAQ in the box, excuse me if I expect a product to come with something approaching a manual. I didn't realize that was too much to ask.

Nate's touchiness is undiminished. :nate:
Not particularly touchy but it did strike me as a bit odd that I should be expected to go online and read a FAQ to figure out one of the primary functions of a product.

I will say that the unit in general appeared to be well built and if it was working would probably represent good value for the $$. Not that ~$400 is "cheap as chips" but for an integrated desktop amp/dac it certainly looks the part.

Not particularly touchy but it did strike me as a bit odd that I should be expected to go online and read a FAQ to figure out one of the primary functions of a product.

Naa, you, nor the average person shouldn't be. I was just having a friendly go at grawk in relation to a convo some time back. ;D

I will say that the unit in general appeared to be well built and if it was working would probably represent good value for the $$. Not that ~$400 is "cheap as chips" but for an integrated desktop amp/dac it certainly looks the part.

It's supposed to be for the entry-level coming-from-just-a-soundcard-or-iPod crowd, and it has now killed the Zero thread (exept when fucking Andrea signs up and posts shit about opamps all over the forums).

I am pretty sure the compass is $238, at least for right now. I don't think there is much out there at that price that contains a dac and amp. I listened to the compass in my hotel room with the sony pfr v1 and thought it represented solid sound for the money. For example it was far better than Grahme Slee stuff I have heard. It is never going to be great at that price point but I feel it is good. Seriously at $238 what else could you get other than a m-audio or trends piece and to me the compass is way better.

I may be wrong or Gene may have just been being a gent but when I asked him the next day if the usb was working he said yes.

I stand behind my love the the ref dac and hope people listened to it at the meet. I am sure NoNoNoNoNoNo and DB will give it a good assessment. I did not have time to go back and forth between the Sonic Frontiers Trans Dac and the Ref Dac in the week leading up to Canjam.

Edited by jp11801

Still name another USB/Coax/Optical-DAC/AMP/Preamp even at the higher price? Course most, and certainly nearly all here, would give up some of the functionality for a higher performing machine, but I can still see it being a good solution for many (at least until drifting over to Pico/Duet/(maybe) iBasso D2 USB/Firewire-only territory). Again I have the same unit as Gene and have had no problems with USB. True enough the DAC is a bit of a let down (that Super switch makes it easy to test with another DAC and amp), but I'd say the same for the Corda combos. Been listening HD580s somewhat quietly at work and they're well powered and for that operation works well. And I haven't yet tried all the jumper sound settings (bright-default/neutral/soft1/soft2), which I'm not sure Gene or others have/had run through either. Still I doubt the performance will rise remotely to the claims made at other locations.

At this point it would be unlikely I'd buy one for full price, but like a lot of gear I could definitely see recommending it for others depending on needs.