Audio-gd

tkam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought an Audio-GD C2C amp. I gotta stop buying into the hype-fest that is HF. It's decent enough, fairly well-built, but the sound is pretty lacking. While it is powerful and fairly neutral, everything sounds a bit "muffled" and hyper-smooth, to the point where you end up losing musical detail (things like piano note decay). Unfortunately my only real point of comparison is my RS HR-2 (I know, I know), which on the whole sounds better.

Anyhow (and sorry for the thread jack), but what's the most decent amp I can get for the HD800's for $400 or so? I need something to hold me over until I can get a Luxman P1 or GSX.

It's decent enough, fairly well-built, but the sound is pretty lacking. While it is powerful and fairly neutral, everything sounds a bit "muffled" and hyper-smooth, to the point where you end up losing musical detail (things like piano note decay).

I got a brief listen to Biggies Compass with my ms2i's today and this pretty much mirrors my impression but I would add that I found the bass quite thick. It's actually quite a beast for size as well, at least in comparison to my Pico. For the price it's not bad considering the level of flexibility but if you don't need the flexibilty the Pico isn't that much more and IMO is a step up.

I got a brief listen to Biggies Compass with my ms2i's today and this pretty much mirrors my impression but I would add that I found the bass quite thick. It's actually quite a beast for size as well, at least in comparison to my Pico. For the price it's not bad considering the level of flexibility but if you don't need the flexibilty the Pico isn't that much more and IMO is a step up.

I paid half the price of a new pico, so no complaints here. The sr60's match better with the compass than the pico because the sr60's are bright and the pico is a brighter amp/dac. The compass is fuller sounding and easy to listen to. It doesn't make for a good combo with the ms2's, which makes me fear it won't be good with hf-2's either.

Biggie.

I paid half the price of a new pico, so no complaints here. The sr60's match better with the compass than the pico because the sr60's are bright and the pico is a brighter amp/dac. The compass is fuller sounding and easy to listen to. It doesn't make for a good combo with the ms2's, which makes me fear it won't be good with hf-2's either.

Biggie.

I agree the Compass has a full-bodied, easy to listen to sound which at half the price of a Pico and considering it's versatility it certainly is a good deal. I've never thought of the Pico as being bright though, I'd be more inclined to think the Compass is somewhat dark.

Biggie.

You should try the Sun HDAM. It is bright and punchy and sounds pretty good with HD650s. After listening to the Sun HDAM for a week straight, I tried the stock Earth HDAM and it sounded muffled and there was much less bass kick. The reason I was interested in the compass in the first place was the ability to roll HDAMs or other opamps to change the sound up whenever I wanted a different sound. I like it very much.

I agree the Compass has a full-bodied, easy to listen to sound which at half the price of a Pico and considering it's versatility it certainly is a good deal. I've never thought of the Pico as being bright though, I'd be more inclined to think the Compass is somewhat dark.

I wasn't comparing either amp to neutral, I was just saying the pico was brighter than the compass, which I agree is somewhat dark. And I don't use any of the compass's versatility. :P

Oddly enough, my compass is set to the 'bright' setting heh.

You should try the Sun HDAM. It is bright and punchy and sounds pretty good with HD650s. After listening to the Sun HDAM for a week straight, I tried the stock Earth HDAM and it sounded muffled and there was much less bass kick. The reason I was interested in the compass in the first place was the ability to roll HDAMs or other opamps to change the sound up whenever I wanted a different sound. I like it very much.

I've got the moon opamp in there right now. I also own and earth, but it is more boring in the mids. Might be worth trying a sun with the hf-2's.

Biggie.

If you decide to do this, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the phone number of a guy that wanted to sell me his 30.6 DAC/PS

Will do. I'm a bit hesitant to send out the APL and import something new with the economy in this state. The ISK has gone down some 4% this week and it is only Tuesday... :palm:

don't blame you... what's the going rate? what a beast...

I'd say about 5-6.5k$ for a 30.6 based on condition and/or if it was upgraded or not. ML charged 750$ for a new face plate so not all upgraded units have one.

I'd guess about a 5 year's supply of fresh bread.

I'd say about 7 year's supply today but it could be up to 8 in the next few days. If I could just pay in bread then it would be awesome... :D