Poll: Locking own threads?

Edwood

Being able to lock threads I started? Good? or Bad?  

1. 1. Being able to lock threads I started? Good? or Bad?

• Good, I like the power to lock a thread I started.
    • Bad, because a thread starter has too much power to kill a thread when they don't like where it's going.
    • I am a dirty dirty monkey.

I voted the keep the ability to lock your own threads but I really don't care one way or the other. I like the idea of being able to lock your own thread in the FS forum so you don't have people messaging sending you messages about gear you've already marked as sold but I can see how it could be an issue when the board expands it's membership.

I think users should be able to lock their own threads but not delete them (or even delete posts). This has worked well on a major community I'm involved with (the well, http://www.well.com), let users blank out their posts, but not delete them, but allow them to lock threads they start. Nothing keeps another person from starting it back up if they have more to say...

• 2 weeks later...

i can't really understand why you wouldn't want to allow a person to delete their own thread. they would probably only do this during an argument or something, so there wouldn't be a lot of good info in there worth saving anyways.

No, it would more probably occur when one is losing an argument. There can still be good info in an argument if both sides are rational and honest.

I vote neigh.

• 3 months later...

I can't remember what I voted. However, I think a good touch would be to give all members the ability to unlock any thread if they felt the need to add a comment. If that were in place, I'd be all for giving everyone the ability to lock their own threads. Otherwise, leave 'em open.

I can't remember what I voted. However, I think a good touch would be to give all members the ability to unlock any thread if they felt the need to add a comment. If that were in place, I'd be all for giving everyone the ability to lock their own threads. Otherwise, leave 'em open.

What would be the point of locking, in that case?