Balancing Act

morphsci

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I am undecided if I will use a TSRP. I have spares to try so my ears will have the final say. I have always liked the EML product line as the build and sound quality is top tier. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I will adopt the selections Blubliss and Purrin have made with my own twist! I will likely select the EML 300B-XLS and talk with Craig about incorporating customizations allowing adjustments of the 300B operating points taking advantage of the XLS. Having not seen the detailed pictures of the insides or schematic of the BA, I am not sure on how feasible this will be. I am awaiting a response from Craig.

Why not select the EML 300b-mesh? I am currently using Tung-Sol BGRP with EML-300b mesh. This is my preferred combination -- I prefer the EML 300b mesh to the KR PX4 (but I believe it's only a matter of taste). The only driver tube I prefer over the BGRP is the Marconi-Osram B65.

On the other hand, I haven't tried the 300B-XLS.

Edited by XXII

Thanks XXII for your input. I have heard a true mesh plate is something glorious to hear.

I checked with Craig and it's not a good idea to change to the higher 300B-XLS operating points mainly because it would exceed the max current ratings of the output transformer. One advantage biasing the XLS as a typical 300B is longer tube life as the XLS is designed for higher ratings. So now I have a choice between the solid or mesh plates.

decisions... decisions. LOL

Thanks XXII for your input. I have heard a true mesh plate is something glorious to hear.

I checked with Craig and it's not a good idea to change to the higher 300B-XLS operating points mainly because it would exceed the max current ratings of the output transformer. One advantage biasing the XLS as a typical 300B is longer tube life as the XLS is designed for higher ratings. So now I have a choice between the solid or mesh plates.

decisions... decisions. LOL

Get the mesh plate and report back. Inquiring minds want to know.

I heard the Balancing Act prototype at a local meet a year and a half ago or something and he had a prototype of another amp as well and was trying to decide between the two for production. I'm sure he had good reason to go with the BA but I believe the other amp was the one I preferred. Anyone know what happened to it or if he has plans? Not that I'm in the market, I'm just curious. It was probably my favorite amp at the meet.

• 4 weeks later...

I have located a pair of new production Western Electric 300b's for a fair price. Will anyone talk me out of buying those in favor of the EML 300B mesh?

I expect I will pull the trigger on a BA this week or next! I am waiting upon delivery of some special components for Craig to install. I wanted to do that myself but he wouldn't honor the warranty if I modified the amp.

If you don't buy them, send them my way grin.gif

I think this seller was trying to scam me. Like they say, if the price sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

On a better note. I placed an order for the EML mesh and mailed my deposit to Craig today. I hope his elves are working overtime for Xmas!

• 2 months later...

My BA has finally arrived and I am pleased with the purchase. I decided to pair up with a set of EML 300b mesh plates (yes, its a REAL mesh). I sent my glass to Craig so he could compare with several other tubes he had (PX4, SET 300b, EAT, etc). He thought (so do I) the EML 300b mesh sounds great. The interesting part is the tube comes alive if you switch to use the PX4 biasing instead of the standard 300B. According to Craig the PX4 operating points are conservative and is below the EML 300B Mesh maximums. This is a good thing as I would not want to stress out the output tubes.

I am bummed that during rolling different driver tubes my Mullard ADZAM 6SL7 driver heater burned out :-( I don't know if I didn't wait long enough before plugging it in and a surge killed it.... Either way I am quite bummed it's gone. frown.gif I really want to get another one but am so hesitant due to the cost. I still have the Tung Sol 6SN7 round plate. It's a little more analytical than the ADZAM but at this level everything is so subtle.

He did build several of the 307A units in the first run. Not sure if he would build any in the current configuration. They seem to have fallen out of favor compared to the 300b/px4 units with Craig. I would not trade my 307A unit for a BA with either of the current tube complements, but I have only heard the current units in small doses and not in my system.

I talked to Craig recently and he said he could still do a 307A configuration but that it would be by request only - he's really trying to push the 300B/PX4. There's a whole lot of 300B's out there, and good (ie not Sophia according to Craig) current production PX4's can be bought directly through Craig who buys KR's in larger quantities. 307A's can be harder to find.

It's not just Craig who it's fallen out of favor for - Pete did it too, going from his 307A to the PX4 pinnacle.

IMHO the decision to transition away from the 307a was not based on sonics. It had more to do with having an amp with plenty of tube Rolling options including current stock, but as Jim alluded to there is plenty of 307a NOS to last you a lifetime and can be had for cheaper than a pair of 300b or px4. I also agree with Jim's comment regarding the 307a BA, and would put the originally millet ttvj 307a in that same company. However the px4 versions are pretty stellar to say the least.