iBasso D10

jinp6301

At the NYC meet, I was talking to Aaron and he mentioned the D10 and how much he likes it with the iriver/esw10 and I was wondering if anyone heard it or have any comments about the circuit. It seems like the only portable amp/dac that is battery powered and takes spdif that I know of.

- PCM2906, converts USB into a S/PDIF signal

- CS8416, DA-receiver chip

- WM8740, D/A chip

- OP+BUF structure for amplification

- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching (+3/10dB)

- Dedicated MCU (Micro Controller Unit) to manager inputs, outputs, and functions.

- Flexible input and output compatibility. It has USB, optical, coaxial, stereo input, line out, and stereo output

- Works as a combo or a stand-alone AMP, DAC, USB soundcard

- Built-in rechargeable Li-polymer battery plays up to 30 hours (30 hrs for AMP, or 20hrs for combo)

- Measures 55*21*104mm, and weights 168g

- Comes with power adapter, leather pouch, optical cable, USB cable, warranty card, owner

Edited by jinp6301

I really really like the D10 connected to my Macbook Pro optical out and driving a wide variety of headphones.

I did a review of it recently on head-fi and picked it as my top choice for DAC/amp for computer transport listeners. The sound via optical DAC is as detailed as the Pico and the USB DAC is very close. The sound is sligthly warmer overall than the Pico - kinda falling in between an RSA amp and Pico amp, but with the larger spacious soundstage of the Pico.

It is very transparent sounding and I find little fault with it except the RFI from iPhone is a PITA. You can roll opamps to make it sound closer to the Pico as well, and HiFlight found an opamp combo that he feels beats the iQube (AD8599 LR/AD8656 buffers). The "iQube" clone setup sounds very good with the Sennheiser HD600 and IE8, but sounds too cold with my other phones. A good in-the-middle compromise is to replace the stock ADA4841-2 opamp with an LTC6241HV instead. It also sounds good with the AD8656 in LR and buffers bypassed. With that opamp combo mine ran for 28 hours on battery while using the optical DAC to drive headphones. I especially like the USB charging feature.

Justin, I brought the D10 with me on spring break, so I will see if using the analog input from Macbook Pro line output causes any ground loop while doing USB charging. I'll report back later.

Once I get the Pico DAC-only I may be using that with my P-51 even more than the D10. Then the D10 will get paired up with my iRiver H140 optical DAP. We'll see.

You can't go wrong with either one.

I've been listening to my y1 + mini3 for around a week now, while I can't tell exactly what it excels, it's even harder for me to tell what it doesn't do good. :)

Edit: I think my mini3 is a 12V version(if there's such thing), since mine is powered by a 12V wallwart only and without charging circuit.

3360513786_8b24c7e9e3.jpg

I had seriously considered making an offer to Beefy for his Gamma 1 Dac but it was for sale in Australia only and he probably doesn't like me enough to have sold it to me. Now I'm on the list for the Pico DAC-only.

I'm always happy to set aside personal differences when there is money to be made ;)

But seriously, I don't hold grudges. Shipping would have been nuts, and I like to keep anything 'cool' inside Oz because we miss out on a lot of goodies. Academic anyway, because it is now sold.

If you are still keen to have a y1, just drop MisterX a message. His builds are almost certainly better done than mine! :)

I'm always happy to set aside personal differences when there is money to be made ;)

But seriously, I don't hold grudges. Shipping would have been nuts, and I like to keep anything 'cool' inside Oz because we miss out on a lot of goodies. Academic anyway, because it is now sold.

If you are still keen to have a y1, just drop MisterX a message. His builds are almost certainly better done than mine! :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. Now that I have the D10 for portable and iRiver I believe I'll stick with the upcoming Pico DAC-only for my laptops and iMac.

I also have the Headroom Micro Stack (portable separate amp/dac) for my bedside rig, and was told it is slightly better than the newer 2 in 1 microportable version.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

The D10 is a nice sounding unit, even more w/ Ron's TopKit. Another option is the Leckerton UHA-6S, it does not have coaxial but it has optical and USB inputs. However it does not have a line out only headphone out w/ an internal headphone amp.