Buffalo32S DAC

morphsci

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So who is going to be building one of THESE new Buffalo DACS using the ESS ES9018 Sabre32 DAC Chip? This may just be the DAC I have been looking for as it can take PCM up to 32bits and 192kHz as well as DSD. This may just get me back into some DIY.

I've got the original Buffalo, and see no need to upgrade yet. But I do hope to re-case my existing Buffalo after I move and add a SPDIF MUX, USB receiver etc...... and I will make 100% sure that my case layout can accommodate the new DAC design :)

I'm waiting for their counterpoint I/V before attempting to put in an order :)

You can't use the Buffalo32S with Counterpoint because these new boards have integrated I/V and line stage (updated from the previous IVY). TPA found that wiring of the current output was critical to performance, and that having everything on one board was best for performance.

They will be releasing a second Sabre32 design though for tweakers that doesn't have the integrated I/V and is also much more flexible...... for a start, it will apparently offer up to a full 8 channels out......

Isn't there already an I/V stage built into the board?

Yep :)

Counterpoint is intended for the original Buffalo and the as-yet-unreleased 'tweaker' Buffalo32.

The old one was $295, which included DAC, IVY, LCDPS and LCBPS.

Russ said this new version would be a bit more expensive...... so I'm going to take a total stab in the dark and guess $395 for an equivalent package.

Edited by Beefy
Think, then type :(

If it actually has a 32-bit datapath (i.e. if that's not a gimmick and it doesn't truncate internally), then there's finally enough precision to use a digital volume control and ditch potentiometers completely. You can have 96dB of volume adjustment AND full 16-bit precision at the same time.

(Incidentally, the Wolfson 8741 also allows this, but no one seems to care about that chip any more.)

If it actually has a 32-bit datapath (i.e. if that's not a gimmick and it doesn't truncate internally), then there's finally enough precision to use a digital volume control and ditch potentiometers completely. You can have 96dB of volume adjustment AND full 16-bit precision at the same time.

I tried to convince people of this in a previous related thread, but nobody would believe me ;)

(Incidentally, the Wolfson 8741 also allows this, but no one seems to care about that chip any more.)

Well just considering the TPA offerings...... Buffalo doesn't need a separate SPDIF receiver, and gives native dual-mono balanced audio. Much easier builds, and the performance is at least as good, if not better.

Well just considering the TPA offerings...... Buffalo doesn't need a separate SPDIF receiver, and gives native dual-mono balanced audio. Much easier builds, and the performance is at least as good, if not better.

I really like the selection of digital filters on the WM8741 though. That probably makes a bigger difference in sound than anything else at this performance level.

But you're right, ease of implementation is huge in the DIY community.