New RSA amp...

penger

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally!!

At last, someone has made a decent stat amp. About time too, who else but Ray can we trust this monumental task to. I think I came in my pants looking at it. Now I need to head off and drool in Rays thread and give him a good online virtual bj before everyone else beats me to it.

I feel the floor in there is going to get rather sticky...

ahahaaa!!! best post of the day :D

regarding the amp, i dislike the tube asymmetry.

I feel the same way. I don't dislike the overall look especially, but the lack of symmetry works against it. I think the BHSE is on a whole different level again.

Of course it's the sound that matters. I have no idea what the A-10 will sound like, but if the speculation regarding the tubes is correct it would appear to be a bit disadvantaged from the get go.

Oh and krmathis' post is gold.

Good thing you quoted this as it won't last long there. There are still multitudes of potential shills left starting with jamato8. Hmm, in thinking more about it, he may have trouble finding friendly reviewers that also have stats. That's the problem with his target market, I imagine that there aren't a lot of people with HE90's that are also Ray fans.

What is the deal with jamato? Is he some sort of marketing-for-hire member or something of that sort? It seems like he is used to develop hype for products and is a perennial favorite for leading head-fi's megathreads about product intros.

What is the deal with jamato? Is he some sort of marketing-for-hire member or something of that sort? It seems like he is used to develop hype for products and is a perennial favorite for leading head-fi's megathreads about product intros.

I have no real knowledge about it, but my guess is that after most of the older, respected members at HF left or stopped posting, suddenly he found himself in the spotlight and it went to his head. Now he thinks that he's an important person in the headphone world and that its his job to build interest in it. And he takes his job seriously. ;)

sorry for the off-topic, but to give an idea of the size required to make a decent stax portable, figure about 5W which allows +/-300V and 1mA for each output stage (compared to BH which is +/-400V and 20mA output bias). That would be a life of 27 minutes if you used a 9V nimh battery

Heh. Maybe we'll have one when those Li-ions that recharge in 5 seconds are out (2-3 years).

So, does anyone here admit to even the slightest possibility of buying an A-10? :P

Someone with an HE90 or Jade, probably?

Anyone willing to take one for the team? I'll send a couple of headphones for evaluation, if needed, maybe an SR-Omega? :)

I assume a used A-10 would be quicker and easier to resell than a Single Power ES-1, but probably not as easy as a used BHSE.

Not sure if this would be an good idea, but we can make a pool running and someone who closer to the price tag will get the bank, USD 5 or less a head.

Want to bet? :)

My guess would be one or two hundred less than the BHSE, otherwize I don't understand exactly what Ray is aiming with this amp.

So, does anyone here admit to even the slightest possibility of buying an A-10? :P

Someone with an HE90 or Jade, probably?

Anyone willing to take one for the team? I'll send a couple of headphones for evaluation, if needed, maybe an SR-Omega? :)

Pfff.

Sorry, it's not even my house, I'm not willing to risk it.

Pfff.

Sorry, it's not even my house, I'm not willing to risk it.

I would say a singlepower amp with no fuse and random wallwarts in the PSU has a higher chance of causing a fire than the A-10.

6moons story - I believe the original mpx3 that was reviewed at the time actually did catch on fire (as told to me during my tenure there)

Well, (a) I was being snarky; (B) attacking Singlepower at this point is like kicking a dead horse when it's down; © attacking Singlepower to throw off the attack of RSA is ... well, like beating a dead horse -- let's not compare oranges to apples that have fallen off the tree long enough ago to start to rot; (d) RSA has done nothing to reinstate my confidence in RSA -- fire, electrical, or otherwise. I didn't like the way he handled that, and I am particularly suspect when higher voltages are involved. I am merely stating my skepticism, which -- under the circumstances -- is apt.