Audio Technica headphone question -- closest to leatherhead?

Dusty Chalk

What current production Audio Technica headphones are closest in sonic signature to the leatherhead? Basically: a nice extended frequency response in both bass and high frequencies, no weird humps or lumps (at least, not extremely so); closed; smooth in the midrange, really smoov.

ATH-W5000?

I missed the boat on the leatherhead, and am regretting it. Yes, I could buy used, but in the meantime...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly none of the current production AT's have a sound signature similar to the L3000. They aren't current production but if you can find a pair of W11JPN's they share a pretty similar signature for a lot less money.

The W5000 are much closer to the W1000 and W2002 sound

I've got a pair of L3000 drivers headed my way.....a little duct tape and you're golden
Awesome!

Duct Tape -- the new wood.

But then people are going to start comparing duct tapes.

"...I got this NOS Hechinger's duct tape -- it's not just rebranded 3M, they had it made special -- slightly thinner, so it doesn't absorb as much, which is just what you want with a good driver like that..."

What current production Audio Technica headphones are closest in sonic signature to the leatherhead? Basically: a nice extended frequency response in both bass and high frequencies, no weird humps or lumps (at least, not extremely so); closed; smooth in the midrange, really smoov.

ATH-W5000?

I missed the boat on the leatherhead, and am regretting it. Yes, I could buy used, but in the meantime...

Nothing which AT is currently producing has a similar sound signature to the leatherhead. The W10VTG and W11JPN have a similar sound signature but neither have the same technical ability of the L3000. Since both were only released in Japan and were discontinued/sold out a long time ago they're kind of hard to find, if you keep your eyes open on Head-Fi and Rinkya you should be able to eventually come across a VTG, the JPN is much more difficult to track down.

I thought the AD2K sounds like the leatherhead. :-X

sort of.... the L3000 has much better bass quantity and impact, along with a fuller sound, more body, and soundstage. the AD2000 is a bit leaner and brighter, but it captures the general feel of the L3000 and is more similar to it than most others.

Nothing which AT is currently producing has a similar sound signature to the leatherhead. The W10VTG and W11JPN have a similar sound signature but neither have the same technical ability of the L3000. Since both were only released in Japan and were discontinued/sold out a long time ago they're kind of hard to find, if you keep your eyes open on Head-Fi and Rinkya you should be able to eventually come across a VTG, the JPN is much more difficult to track down.

Rinkya?

sort of.... the L3000 has much better bass quantity and impact, along with a fuller sound, more body, and soundstage. the AD2000 is a bit leaner and brighter, but it captures the general feel of the L3000 and is more similar to it than most others.

I almost bought the AD2000 a year ago but never did. The near-$600 USD pricetag was intimidating. How would you say it stacks up against the W5000? :D Or are they too different to compare?

Cheers,

Nanoha

Okay, so...I know someone who's going to Japan in a month or so, and they'd be amenable to picking me up something if I can tell them what it is. Is it still possible to get a Leatherhead in one of the local shops there, or are they all sold out, too? What's the going price over there? And do we know anyone who can scout ahead, so that I can tell them exactly where to go? These people aren't exactly headphone-shopping-savvy.

I almost bought the AD2000 a year ago but never did. The near-$600 USD pricetag was intimidating. How would you say it stacks up against the W5000? :D Or are they too different to compare?

I own the W5000 but haven't seen my pair since late february due to a couple people borrowing my pair since the meet in Saratoga... but from what I recall of my W5000 and listening to the AD2000 in stores I think I prefer the AD2000 since it doesn't have coloration from a wood enclosure (the W5000 coloration seems a bit odd to me, being different from the L3000-type coloration which I prefer) and I think the sound is more balanced.

I was thinking of getting an AD2000 recently but couldn't find a good used pair in Japan so I didn't, but I would think the W5000 and AD2000 are relatively similar in performance and presentation, although I would have to compare them side-by-side to really make any comments....

Is it still possible to get a Leatherhead in one of the local shops there, or are they all sold out, too? What's the going price over there?

for all I know there are no new L3000's for sale in Japan anymore.... I was there recently (came back perhaps a month ago) and all the stores I went to were out of stock, and of course there are none left at the AT factory for them to order. perhaps you'll get lucky and your friend may stumble upon a store demo for sale or something along those lines?

for all I know there are no new L3000's for sale in Japan anymore.... I was there recently (came back perhaps a month ago) and all the stores I went to were out of stock, and of course there are none left at the AT factory for them to order. perhaps you'll get lucky and your friend may stumble upon a store demo for sale or something along those lines?
Not likely. I'm not going to send them on any wild goose chases, and waste my karma that way.

They are indeed. Burning-in nicely. The highs aren't quite there, but I've heard they need some time. Each day they get a little better so I'm hopeful. I don't think they will get 100% there, but we'll see. One way or another, it was a very inexpensive way to get that L3000 sound.