Audio Technica headphone question -- closest to leatherhead?

Dusty Chalk

That's an interesting way of looking at it. While that logic may hold, it still doesn't convince ME to pay that much for them. :D

Markets determine what things are worth. People decide if they're willing to pay what something is worth. Enough people decide things are overpriced, the market changes. If enough people think things are underpriced, the price goes up. Especially with scarce items. People that want something that hasn't been made in 10 years, they have to keep adding money until the owner feels like he's making enough to give it up.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any advice on dealing with BlueTin? I got a quote from them, and it was a bit more than what their website said, so I gave them a hard time about it. Then I asked for another quote (the 5 days had expired), and again, it was a bit higher, so I asked them to explain it to me again. Then I had them drop the A500 out of the quote (it was cheaper at audiocubes), and now I stopped hearing from them. Should I threaten to go to PayPal? They tried to charge me the PayPal fees (which I heard is against their TOS, but I can't find it). I wasn't going to go to PayPal (and I really don't want to), I just want the headphones. I may have sounded threatening, but I really don't care if they charge a bit more for the headphones, I just want a quote at this point and get the sale over with.

Any advice on dealing with BlueTin? I got a quote from them, and it was a bit more than what their website said, so I gave them a hard time about it. Then I asked for another quote (the 5 days had expired), and again, it was a bit higher, so I asked them to explain it to me again. Then I had them drop the A500 out of the quote (it was cheaper at audiocubes), and now I stopped hearing from them. Should I threaten to go to PayPal? They tried to charge me the PayPal fees (which I heard is against their TOS, but I can't find it). I wasn't going to go to PayPal (and I really don't want to), I just want the headphones. I may have sounded threatening, but I really don't care if they charge a bit more for the headphones, I just want a quote at this point and get the sale over with.

I'd bet the problem is the exchange rate.

Yeah, I know, the dollar sucks right now. That's why I want to push forth with this transaction -- before it sucks any worse. But still -- all they have to do is update their freakin' website with the correct amounts -- then I wouldn't have had anything to complain about. It's called "truth in advertising". They managed to update the prices on their headphones, why can't they update the prices on their shipping page?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly none of the current production AT's have a sound signature similar to the L3000. They aren't current production but if you can find a pair of W11JPN's they share a pretty similar signature for a lot less money.

The W5000 are much closer to the W1000 and W2002 sound

You sure those new ESW9s don't! :dance:

• 2 years later...
Well i actually am thinking whether i should try the w10vtg for w5000, that seems silly though...what do you guys think?

the w10vtg definitely looks much better than the w5000, however it seems the w5000 has more resolution and detail than the w10vtg

I'm not sure what to do now...or should i try to trade + cash for w2002?

I wouldn't if you LIKE the vtg. The 2002 and 5000 are a completely different sound.

I like the VTGs and the W5000s. I would say the VTGs are by far the safer choice: not picky about amps or head shapes at all. W5000s are notoriously picky for both. Can't comment on any others except for the L3000, which I also really like. Never tried it out of anything other than top-shelf equipment, though.

it seems like you had the w5000, L3000, and vtgs, how would the vtg compare with them?
VTG's are really a completely different headphone, but just as lovable as the L3000. Definitely get a pair, with at least the intention of long-term in-home-system audition. Worst thing that happens is, if you don't like it, you turn around and sell them for little to no loss, financially.

*makes mental note to ask you to hear VTGs next time*

oceanwave, try to figure out what kind of sound you like first, then ask questions. Ie do you actually like the VTG or the HD650? Doesn't seem like it since you just seem to want to try new headphones.

Thanks for your suggestion. Well I like the vtg and the 650, however would it be a good deal right now to trade my 650 + cash for w5000 just so to try another new headphone?

Meanwhile cd3000 and w11jpn are on my list of wanted list.