Outlaw Audio M2200 amps

deepak

Any thoughts on the Outlaw Audio M2200 amps?

Outlaw Audio

The Model 200 operates as Class A/B power up to 80 watts, transitioning within 2 microseconds (2 millionths! of a second) to Class G above that. This allows a remarkable combination of signal quality, high power levels, high efficiency, and low operating temperatures without the use of a cooling fan. The transition to Class G is absolutely inaudible, because the 2 microsecond transition lasts about 1/25th the duration of a single cycle of 20 kHz audio. For the Class A/B operation mode the output stage uses four 15-amp bipolar transistors, while the Class G operation employs two 40-amp high-power MOSFETs.

They are class G amps, and I know Barry Diament at SH forums really likes them with Maggies. And they're cheap and easy to resell.

Model 2200 Technical Specifications

* Power Output (FTC Continuous RMS):

- 200 watts @ 8 ohms, 20 Hz 20 kHz, < 0.05% THD

- 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz 20 kHz, < 0.05%

* Short Term Dynamic Power Output:

- 300 watts @ 8 ohms

* THD Signal to Noise: 100 dB (unweighted)

* Input Impedance: > 10K Ohms

* Gain: +27dB (1.7V sensitivity) for full output

* Input Connectors: RCA Jack

* Output Connectors: Five-Way binding posts

* Power Consumption: 600 watts maximum, < 3 watts standby

* Weight: 18 pounds

* Dimensions (H/W/D):1.75" x 17" x 11.5"

Inside pictures:

post-236-12951153166238_thumb.jpg

post-236-12951153191868_thumb.jpg

post-236-12951153209462_thumb.jpg

post-236-12951153242679_thumb.jpg

Edited by deepak

I use the older M200x5 in my HT setup. As far as I know the only major difference between the M200 and M2200 is the M2200 has balanced inputs and the M200 does not. The M2200 came out after they introduced their first pre/pro with balanced outputs.

I am very happy with my M200's they provide rock solid service and sound very good in the HT setup. They also run very cool which is important to me as I have them rack mounted in a closet. As far as I recall, their was a nice review of the M2200 that had some power output measurements. It is probably listed on the Outlaw site.

As far as customer service, they have always been great. When I bought things used (like 3 of my M200s) they always cheerfully transferred the warranty. I also like their paradigm of building no-frills (looks) components with real value. A lot of their management team came over from NAD.

A lot of their management team came over from NAD.

Intersting indeed.

I used to have a pair of NAD 2200 amps back in the day. In bridged mode I pumped 400 watts into each of my ESS AMT 1D speakers. They were quite nice sounding amps.

At $350.00 ea. for the Outlaws it's hard to see how you could go too far wrong.

I use the older M200x5 in my HT setup. As far as I know the only major difference between the M200 and M2200 is the M2200 has balanced inputs and the M200 does not. The M2200 came out after they introduced their first pre/pro with balanced outputs.

I am very happy with my M200's they provide rock solid service and sound very good in the HT setup. They also run very cool which is important to me as I have them rack mounted in a closet. As far as I recall, their was a nice review of the M2200 that had some power output measurements. It is probably listed on the Outlaw site.

As far as customer service, they have always been great. When I bought things used (like 3 of my M200s) they always cheerfully transferred the warranty. I also like their paradigm of building no-frills (looks) components with real value. A lot of their management team came over from NAD.

How are they with music? And have you compared them with other amps? Thanks for the impressions.

Did you buy the Maggies yet Deepak? I've never heard a pair, but I think I would like them considering the descriptions and reviews I've read. I'm looking forward to your impressions. :cool:

No I haven't.

I used them in my speaker system in between a musical fidelity (A302) and my TACT S2150. They are definitely more neutral (or clinical depending upon your persuasion) than the MF amp. They are very close to the TACT amp (as expected) but the TACT gives better soundstage depth, better imaging and definitely a smoother treble. The differences are really pretty small and may be due to the direct comnnection between my source and the TACT with no preamp connection. The outlaws used the GS-X as a preamp, so not really a slouch. I do use them for some music listening on the HT, but that system is not really resolving enough with the current speakers to make much of a determination.

• 2 weeks later...

Own a M2000. Great little amp. Drives my center channel Aerial 3CC in HT/MCH set up. Mine has got some age on it now and every now and again does not turn on automagically with signal input. The M2200's are on sale right now for $270 shipped. Great deal. The only other amp or amps I would consider in that price range right now would be Adcom and the Wyred 4 Sound.

Own a M2000. Great little amp. Drives my center channel Aerial 3CC in HT/MCH set up. Mine has got some age on it now and every now and again does not turn on automagically with signal input. The M2200's are on sale right now for $270 shipped. Great deal. The only other amp or amps I would consider in that price range right now would be Adcom and the Wyred 4 Sound.

There's a Wyred amp in that price range? I thought their cheapest mono was $800.

Well what I meant was if you were going for more than one channel. Adcom doesn't make mono's anymore either I don't think. I would not go Outlaw M2200 for more than the rears or center. If you are outfitting a whole 5.1 or 7.1 there are more efficient ways to go. Five or seven M2200's would be cool and sound great but I don't think I would go that way.

I use 5 M200's in my HT. I have them in a rack in a converted closet. I think they look and sound cool. They also run cool so that is an advantage as heat build-up is a problem in there. I am going to have to install an active ventilation system anyway.

That describes my audition of the Magico M5s last Thursday. The M5s load the listening room with effortless music, you hear everything from the subtle breath of the singer to the decay of the sax and bass. My new dream system that I may not ever be able to afford.

You just described the perfect speaker -- are they really that good?

(makes a mental note to hear Aerials some day)

IMO...the Aerial 7b's are very good speakers at their price point. They sing with lots of power like Maggies. They and and my system fall short of the two best systems I ever heard, Audio Artistry Beethovens driven by Theta Digital electronics via Kimber Select Kables. The originial Revel Salons with same system components were a close second. These systems with these speakers were...effortless in their reproduction of recorded music.

IMO...the Aerial 7b's are very good speakers at their price point. They sing with lots of power like Maggies.

Aerials are carefully and very (small c) conservatively designed speakers. Mike Kelly, the designer, has strong ideas about how things should sound and takes a very analytical approach to making it happen. (I believe he was a plasma physicist before going into audio but can't remember where I read that.) And most of those involve lots of juice -- how many people specify 350W - 700W at 8 ohms for a center channel? :D

In my inexpert opinion, their older models are among the best deals available on the used market today. Everything is massively overbuilt to the point where hardly anyone wants to ship, so if you can find them in your area you are golden. I got my Model 8s (120lbs each) from a guy in NH for all of $1200. Cabinets hand built by Hornslet in Denmark, titanium dome tweeter, 28Hz - 22KHz

I met Mike a few years ago at a local dealer get together. They had a end all be all HT set up with 20T's in the front flanked by 2 Aerial subs, 5CC, LR5's, etc. with Meridian electronics, Runco projo. Were demoing with the 2nd Matrix movie. It was a GREAT demo. I got to speak to Mike briefly. Very nice, humble fellow. He worked for ADS before starting Aerial.

Aerials are built like tanks. SOLID with lots of internal bracing. I bought mine used as well. Trying to score a pair of Model 6's for rears. There is a pair on Ebay now.

10T's remind me of the Daleks for some reason. Lots of reports of the Mid/tweet satellite cabinets (they were molded from some sort of compound and machined out) cracking with age. $1000 was a super deal for someone.