getting a Parasound D/AC-1100

Cankin

I don't know if I'd go that far. I've had the 1600 and the Audio Alchemy, and I kept the Audio Alchemy. It's a little more rolled off, but what it gets right, it gets righter, IMHO.

I also mucho :ian: the MSB Link DAC III (which I believe I have 2 of, now), which, at the same time, has better frequency extension in both directions, and is much more moddable, to those with a DIY inclination.

Yeah I more meant versus in production dacs. There are certainly other vintage competitors.

Hrm what do you mean more moddable? The Parasound DAC1600 should be moddable in the same fashion as Filburt's Assemblage DAC2.6 and JP's trans dac and should show similar dramatic improvements.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrm what do you mean more moddable? The Parasound DAC1600 should be moddable in the same fashion as Filburt's Assemblage DAC2.6 and JP's trans dac and should show similar dramatic improvements.
Alright, I guess I didn't realize that. How about just "very moddable", with no attempt at comparison?

Basically, it's designed to be opened and mucked with.

And I thought they still made the Link DAC III? Well, looking here, they still make the Nelson variant for under $1K ([radio announcer voice]1380 w/USB input![/radio announcer voice]).

And besides, I don't think those Parasounds are still in production either -- I wouldn't compare apples to oranges. Do they even do 24/96?

No it isn't in production and no it doesn't do 24/96, but generally I compare to in production things since it's what people are familiar with and what is most available to them. I realize it isn't an apples to apples comparison but.. shrug how many people have heard either a parasound or an audio alchemy dac. I figure it's better to relate it to something they have heard rather so there's some form of context even if it isn't a completely level playing field.

I prefer the Apogee Duets more dynamic punch to the 1100 (and if brief listening is representative over the 1600 very slightly). Course inputs differ greatly. The Parasounds get much more use though. Should do a more detailed A/B comparison one of these days. Also if memory serves the Parasounds over the Lavry, but I didn't have them at the same time, so impossible to give any specifics besides a gut feeling of satisfaction (and that's heavily tainted by the 1/4 price). Overall for $250 they're killer DACs, with the caveats of large size and lack of bitrate options (which if using with something like the Airport Express isn't an issue). Like I said I bought two.

I have Icarium to thank for introducing me to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent heard the 1000 but I have heard the 1500 which is like a balanced 1000 and it sounds nearly as good or as good as the 1100/1600 stock. However it doesn't decode HDCD and purportedly with both modded the 1100 will edge out the 1000 via having a superior digital filter.

As far actual differences in sound... for awhile I thought the 1500 stock versus the 1600 stock was punchier and fuller, but having spent more time lately with the 1600 I now feel its really too close to call with the 1600 perhaps clearer but not really less punchy or full. Sadly since I got my latest 1600 the 1500 has been in my work rig so doing side by sides is tricky nowadays. Again stock.. very nearly too close to call.

Given that you do solder though I'd hold out for a 1100 or 1600 just because the differences should become more pronounced with filburt style mods.

If you can get the 1000 cheap like 100-150 (I've seen several move for under 100.. I personally wouldnt pay more than 150 at the worst case). Else I'd hold out for a 1100 as long as its 300 or under (200-250 would be nicer but waiting for those prices might take awhile).

Really depends on use (I actually thought the Lavry DA10 performed better in balanced Senn DAC/amp combo use - where it was hard to find a superior - than general DAC service - where it was easier), but overall I think the two 1100s have been my favorite owned DACs, with the exception of the earlier mentioned, far less practical, Apogee Duet. And even there the preference was slight and due mostly to an overall more dynamic sound, not resolution gain, signature balance, etc. Be aware though I haven't been tempted (except for a moment or two with the Northstar MK1/IIs) to cross the $1K DAC mark, so there's a boat-load of competition I haven't heard. But at the $1K and below level I think the 1100s perform admirably. My only wish would be 24/96 support, but I don't doubt for a second that's primarily psychological. If anything I'm trying to keep my excitement from sounding fanatical at this price point. This sound at $250 is kinda crazy and lately I've become fixated with bang-for-buck.

I have it. It's quite nice if you can get it for under 100 as it does use PCM63s and PCM1702s (Another great R2R dac.. what the trans dac uses) for the surround. I think it's pretty gnarly for a surround sound processor if you dont mind the lack of modern features.

As a dac it sounds pretty good, but its noticeably less stacked in the rest of the circuit versus the 2 channel dac series (Less impressive analogue output stage and probably I/V).

I'd say versus stock it gives probably at least 70-80 percent of what the other dacs give, but will scale significantly less with mods.

• 2 months later...
Frankly I haven't heard anything in the 1k range that really comes close.. maybe the PS Audio Digital Link III with culen mods (not sure what the mods really bring to the table but I've never heard it stock).

x2

(now that I own a 1100HD)

I've owned the Lavry, Electrocompaniet ECD1, Bel Canto DAC3, Apogee MiniDAC

The Electrocompaniet however did come close, and in the end is a matter or personal taste,

but the rest got shredded

Guest sachu

^^ echo similar thoughts. I have owned the Bel Canto DAC2, the Audio GD-Ref1 and have heard many other DACs, but for the price to performance ratio the DAC-1100 is tops.

In stock mode it beats out the Audio GD-Ref 1 in quality of bass and level of detail.

Hard to miss with the DAC-1100

I've heard both the Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 and one of the Parasounds -- the 1600, I think.

I still have the Audio Alchemy, but mostly for speaker duty. I liked the midrange on it more. Whenever someone says, "I'd prefer a well-designed DAC that only does 16/44.1 vs. a mediocre DAC that upsamples to 24/96", I usually think of the Audio Alchemy.

When we tried it in Hirsch's system, it sounded a little rolled off, though, compared to...well, pretty much everything else he had. It's the K501 of DACs in terms of top end/midrange quality (excellent midrange, meh top end). Or perhaps the LS3/5a of DACs. In other words, there are more modern designs that are better, but it had its strengths, and if I had to sell everything else I had, I could live with it.

Anyone been able to compare to the Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0? I've heard good things about that one, too.

DDE has a good digital filter pmd100 and a great dac chip, the AD1862. Unfortunately it's passive i/v and has a shitty output stage. The i/v is especially hard to fix via mods... output stage too so sayeth cetoole who has one.

http://www.audioasylum.com/images/DDE3.pdf