Windows 7 Release on Oct 23rd 2009?

Looks like Acer might have leaked the release date :palm:;D

Slashdot | Windows 7 Launch Date Leaked — 23 Oct. 2009

Sockatume writes "Yesterday, two Acer executives in Europe separately let slip details that give us a good date for the release of Windows 7. First, Acer's vice-president for Europe discussed a new product, launching this September, that will support Windows 7's touch features. Asked whether this confirmed the Windows 7 release date as September 2009, he coyly remarked that 'when it's in store it won't have Windows 7 pre-loaded.' Microsoft would probably prefer that he had stopped there, but he added: 'We won't be actually selling [Windows 7] a day before the 23rd October.' Then, Acer's Managing Director for the UK helpfully clarified that while their product will ship with Windows Vista at launch, because it is on sale less than 30 days before the Windows 7 release date, it will be eligible for the 'upgrade program' to get a free upgrade to the new OS."

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the beta's and it's a pretty nice improvement over Vista. It's certainly faster/more responsive when run on shitty hardware.

Whether or not oct 23 is the release date will depend a lot on how the first RC goes. Which is already available to testers, MSDN members, etc.

I've used the beta's and it's a pretty nice improvement over Vista. It's certainly faster/more responsive when run on shitty hardware.

Whether or not oct 23 is the release date will depend a lot on how the first RC goes. Which is already available to testers, MSDN members, etc.

Agreed. It is great that Microsoft will let you use Windows 7 for 13 months free (RC).

@strid3r - Let us know what you think of the RC. I have to wait for May 5th to download it.

Snow Leopard

I hope they're going to make some substancial improvements over 10.5 because they're not going to get my 100$ if it's just a slightly tweaked and improved Leopard like what's been said. Some things I'd like:

- Make Spaces usable: like Linux multiple desktops basically

- Improve Finder: the fact that you still can't cut and paste is beyond me

- Native FLAC support in iTunes: not OS-related, but what the hell are they waiting for?

- More advanced Spotlight: I'll still use Quicksilver anyway, but it'd be nice if Apple could borrow some inspiration from it.

Snow Leopard from the start was about significant under the hood changes. Full 64-bit, LLVM-gcc, full ZFS support, OpenCL, Quicktime X, NIB file compression. There have also been rumors of large scale Finder re-writes. Most of this probably won't be visible to users, but personally I want every one of those features. Quicktime X and OpenCL especially. It's a must buy for me.

I'm quite keen on seeing Windows 7 too and will probably end up moving some machines at work to use it. Home too if all goes well. To me Windows XP and Vista both have their pros and cons with neither coming out on top, but Windows 7 does look like a solid successor that actually improves usability.

In response to the trash talk though who needs all this vapourware? Ubuntu 9.04 came out a few days ago. ;D

yep. i'm hoping my university's site license includes Windows 7 when it's released, as i'd like to get some of my users off of XP.

Why? What's the disadvantage of XP?

I haven't given the 7 beta a go yet but I forsee myself sticking with XP until I'm functionally compromised.

I just finished installing it on my Vostro 1500 without a hitch. Wireless card was detected during installation and the rest of the drivers were updated through Automatic Update (8600GT, Ricoh card reader). I've only done a little browsing and installing some programs, but it feels pretty snappy. The new wireless connection utility is very convenient and a nice improvement over Vista.

Snow Leopard from the start was about significant under the hood changes. Full 64-bit, LLVM-gcc, full ZFS support, OpenCL, Quicktime X, NIB file compression...
True multi-core support...

Yeah, I'm with you -- I want it. And no, I don't know when it's due. He said almost a year ago, in about a year. So...could be next week, could be next month, could be later. I don't think there've been any updates on the ETA since then, other than speculation and rumour-mongering.

True multi-core support...

Yeah, I'm with you -- I want it. And no, I don't know when it's due. He said almost a year ago, in about a year. So...could be next week, could be next month, could be later. I don't think there've been any updates on the ETA since then, other than speculation and rumour-mongering.

Two betas were released to developers in April. That's usually a sign of the OS being feature-complete. Pure speculation on my part, but I can't see them releasing prior to the WWDC in June. If I had to guess my divining rod leans towards September.

I downloaded win7 RC on technet a few days ago and it runs rather well on my laptop. Looking forward to the actual release.

my department has too varied of an inventory currently for me to realistically keep a library of disc images going, so i generally have to manually configure boxes, and XP is clunky to get to a decently secure, full featured state, if you're having to do it a few times a week. i also can't put a shit load of RAM in machines with XP, as our site license doesn't include XP 64.

Did you try the microsoft deployment tools or creating custom xp install images?

Initially setting up WDS was quite a pain but once running it was smooth sailing for me. However, my network only has somewhere on the order of 5-6 models so it's probably more difficult for you to do the same. On the flip side, vista deployment was much smoother than windows xp and I'm looking forward to trying out Win7's depolyment services.

You've probably already read about it, but it sounds like the windows 7 guest mode would be ideal for your situation assuming it makes it to final release since some folks are saying it got cut from RC + final.