Windows 7 Release on Oct 23rd 2009?

The pricing on Windows 7 upgrade is attractive but I'd rather keep Vista than do an MS upgrade. I'll probably just spend the extra and get the full version.

I probably will, too, eventually.

Hasn't it been proven pretty much in the past that if you want less headaches you are better off doing a fresh install from the ground up vs "upgrading" from one OS to the next?

My perception of Windows 7 is that it is basically Vista SP3 for all intents and purposes. Am I right or wrong in that perception?

I've been pretty happy with Vista 64 post SP1.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't it been proven pretty much in the past that if you want less headaches you are better off doing a fresh install from the ground up vs "upgrading" from one OS to the next?

My perception of Windows 7 is that it is basically Vista SP3 for all intents and purposes. Am I right or wrong in that perception?

Yep, doing a fresh install is always the better route to go.

I don't know if I would call it Vista SP3, because there are enough changes and (minor) differences that make it feel like its own OS. I have used Vista on and off, but I'll definitely be moving over to 7 when it comes out as it feels pretty solid and compatibility does not seem to be an issue (hardware and software).

i've never ever heard of that. when you upgrade you can either have it do what you'd think and upgrade your xp to vista/7 or do a clean install

Yup. When XP was still being sold and Vista was going to come out, the retailers would send you the upgrade disc to Vista and you could upgrade to Vista or do a clean install. There was a leaked memo from Best Buy that hit the tech news sites on Monday that mentioned they would start to offer free upgrades to any computer that was sold from June 26th to the Windows 7 release day on 10.22.09. Not sure if the memo that was leaked was official, but eventually they will offer free upgrades if you purchase a Vista or probably even downgraded Windows XP Pro to Windows 7.

What you do is you install a version lesser than the one you purchased; for example, if you purchased ultimate upgrade, then install basic or premium or professional.

Don't enter a cd-key while installing this lesser version. Once it's installed, open Computer, right click the cd-drive, and select Explore. Run Setup, and then upgrade it to the version you actually bought.

What you do is you install a version lesser than the one you purchased; for example, if you purchased ultimate upgrade, then install basic or premium or professional.

Don't enter a cd-key while installing this lesser version. Once it's installed, open Computer, right click the cd-drive, and select Explore. Run Setup, and then upgrade it to the version you actually bought.

Is this clean install?

I'm running 64-bit Autocad LT 2009 no problem.

I'm on 2007/2008.

I also love the different system requirements for the various versions.

For 32-bit AutoCAD LT 2010

# 1 GB RAM

# 850 MB free disk space for installation

For 64-bit AutoCAD LT 2010

# 2 GB RAM

# 1 GB free space for installation

:rolleyes::palm:

It's called "bloat", and Microsoft -- because they are the biggest company -- needs to be particularly sensitive to it, because the more code is there, the more there is to exploit, and IE8, in particular, is particularly prone to being exploited. Yes, that's right, even if you don't use it.

PS I use linux. So don't yell at me for being a hypocrite, 'cuz I ain't.