PS Audio PerfectWave DAC

PS Audio - PerfectWave DAC : More Info Far right upper corner

Have you contacted PS Audio directly? They often times will inventory B stock/specialty items but not update the website in a timely manner, it is worth a shot.

I did ask but they don't have any B-stock 230v version now. I'm using a 1.5kW isolation transformer that can output both 230v and 115v but it's better to convert voltage in the DAC directly, imo.

I spent some time playing with the PWD+Transport at my friend's house a couple days ago. The sound is really nice, but honestly, not really better than my current DAC. The build and features, on the hand, are absolutely amazing.

The Wyred DAC-2 and at a little lower league, a DIY AD1865 tube DAC. The Wyred has more sterile sound, while, to my ears, the PWD is is a tad warmer. I might say it's more musical. Both have excellent details but as mentioned, the PWD is just so nice that I can consider switching to it.

Quick question although I know all of this is highly subjective due to people's ears, equipment, etc: Roughly how many hours would you say you've put into that Wyred Dac-2?

The reason I ask is because I own one and for my own purposes I found that they weren't kidding in their literature when they talked about subtle improvements after 100 and then 200 hours of use including more warmth and such.

I personally do not find the W4SD2 to sound the way that you're describing any longer* but then again, that's just me talking according to my ears and my setup. No big deal either way. :)

* I will say during the first roughly 50 hours or so of use give or take I did feel that it sounded a little bit along the lines of what you're describing. It needed to open up and warm up a bit more and that's exactly what gradually happened for me.

You really can't go wrong with either this PWD or the Wyred Dac-2 IMO. It was a hell of a tough choice for me between those two, the Neko, and a couple of others. :)

At the end of the day, whatever sounds best to you is the right answer. Good luck!

My point is that the onus shouldn't be on you to burn the thing in within the 30 day window. If the literature suggests the DAC will improve with 200 hours of burn in (which I doubt) then the manufacturer should do one of the following: (a) burn it in before it leaves the mfr.'s premises or (B) extend the trial period to 60 days.

Quick question although I know all of this is highly subjective due to people's ears, equipment, etc: Roughly how many hours would you say you've put into that Wyred Dac-2?

I don't think I could remember how long I've put into the DAC-2. Sometimes I just fell asleep and left them play all night. One reason I found it too dry is my amp (B22) and headphones (HD800,K1000) are also very sterile. I just feel I need something smoother, warmer. I have a local dealer but they charge like $3,500 for the PWD.

My point is that the onus shouldn't be on you to burn the thing in within the 30 day window. If the literature suggests the DAC will improve with 200 hours of burn in (which I doubt) then the manufacturer should do one of the following: (a) burn it in before it leaves the mfr.'s premises or (B) extend the trial period to 60 days.

I will say that the way the literature is written up it wasn't like "Your life is over and you have a POS until you burn this in!" but yes you definitely make fair points.

I don't think I could remember how long I've put into the DAC-2. Sometimes I just fell asleep and left them play all night. One reason I found it too dry is my amp (B22) and headphones (HD800,K1000) are also very sterile.

Ah.

I just feel I need something smoother, warmer. I have a local dealer but they charge like $3,500 for the PWD.

Way too expensive. The MSRP is $3000.

I can't tell where you live but if you're in the USA I know you can find better legit deals on the Internet from places like Music Direct and Audio Advisor.

I know Monkey was able to buy his through a legit dealer with an even better price then what I'm talking about here but again, that's in USA. I contacted that dealer myself back when I was in the hunt and was really impressed. In fact, that dealer is the one that made the choice for me a lot more difficult in the end. ;)

If you're outside of the USA then hopefully there are some others that can help you out.

There are folks around here that know a lot more about this than I do but even I'm pretty sure that a DAC change is only going to go so far for you if you're looking at both your amp and at least one pair if not both of your headphones with the evil eye.

I also have the Sennheiser 800 headphones but I have a different amp: The HeadAmp GS-X. I'd love to hear a pair of K1000s someday. Heh, I'd also love to hear a Stax setup someday. :)

• 10 months later...

Does this play 24/96 FLAC off a NAS, directly into its network bridge without a computer? Having trouble with HDTracks music and everything else is ok. The HDTracks music sounds great and no problems through my computer via Media Monkey to PIco DAC.

Yes, it does once you've set up the NAS with your computer. I can have my computers all off and play 24/96 FLAC from HDTracks.com, but need an iPhone or iPad to control the playback.

Yes, it does once you've set up the NAS with your computer.

What does this entail? I've been playing FLAC, mp3, and Apple Lossless without a problem direclty off my NAS for weeks without a problem. Only now with the HDTracks 24/96 FLAC is there a problem. I wonder if I need to update its firmware?

edit: When I check my current firmware, I get this:

Bridge Version 0.2.12

DAC Version 1.8.25

Is this current? (I've checked the PS Audio website and it's hard to find)

Edited by jvlgato

Yeah, your NAS might have new firmware, but doesn't explain why it quit working. Were your FLAC working before, and now don't, or is it only recent downloads? I haven't bought any recent albums from HDTracks, wonder of they did something to their files.

The set up is simply configuring the name of the NAS and IP address, and setting up an administrator and PW. Seems like you've done that already for use with your computer. If the NAS has a uPNP or DLNA server on it then the PS Audio eLyric software for iDevices will find the NAS and the music on it, and it will see your Bridge as a place to send the audio to (assuming everything is on the same network).

All my other FLAC files work fine, only the 24/96 FLAC don't work. I've only recently started buying 24/96 HDTracks, so they're all new.

Edit:

Oh, and BTW, I was referring to the PWD bridge firmware maybe needing an update.

Edited by jvlgato

All my other FLAC files work fine, only the 24/96 FLAC don't work. I've only recently started buying 24/96 HDTracks, so they're all new.

Edit:

Oh, and BTW, I was referring to the PWD bridge firmware maybe needing an update.

Well, even with 0.2.10 I could play 24/96 HDTracks FLAC files fine, and I'm on 0.2.12 now with no issues. I would contact "Dennis at PS Audio dot com"

• 2 weeks later...