PS Audio PerfectWave DAC

PWD Mk2 coming out. monkey_poo.gif

I guess it's good that it is upgradeable for those of us who have the mk1, but the price is a bit steep for early adopters of a unit that was supposed to be da bomb. I know this is the way it goes, but something here doesn't sit well with me.

Well if the MK2 dacs is going to be anything like the SR-007 stax, it will be total craps, just ask Birgir. ;)

I don't have the tech knowledge to determine if it's BS. You really think it is? The USB Asynch sounds like something real.

I admit I only read his first description which did not say anything about async unless that's the digital lens thing. From the description there it sounds like re clocking not true async. The whole writeup gave me a snake oil feeling.

I don't have the tech knowledge to determine if it's BS. You really think it is? The USB Asynch sounds like something real.

The built-in "digital lens" sounds legit. However the bridge already essentially has this. PSA should have first fixed the bridge, gotten the bugs out, and made gapless work.

PS Audio has historically been a bit thick on the BS.. enough so that I would be wary of anything from them. This upgrade may be legit, and I'm not saying that their products are junk; just that they have an interesting history. For example, they used to make stuff like power amps, but apparently they developed a reputation for blowing up, so now they make AC regenerators, which uses some of that technology.

^ Heh, had forgotten about that... the Critical Link fuse. Gotta be worth the upgrade right there, cuz its critical...

Well it's critical since things don't work well without them. :) The whole fuse BS reminds me of when people were comparing the sound of outlets and the plates around them...

I've never used one, but I think their regenerators are probably pretty good (and effective). It's when they start catering to audiiophile silliness ($800 power cords, fuses, etc.) that they jump the shark. I can't say I blame them cuz it makes the margins look good :)

Somebody really should write a practical electronics book for audiophiles.... facepalm.png

Well, here are the 3 electronics books I keep close by. They're not really for audiophiles though. tongue.png

The Art of Electronics, Horowitz & Hill - http://amzn.com/0521370957

The Circuit Designers Companion, Williams - http://amzn.com/0750663707

Electrical Engineering: An Introduction - Schwarz & Oldham - http://amzn.com/0195105850