PS Audio PerfectWave DAC

It's been a while since I read the Art but is the chapter on how capacitors magically change after 100 hours of use? That would be quite handy for the audiophiles... grin.gif

I remember some Esoteric owners claiming their players needed 1200 hours to "settle in". I'm sure that has nothing to do with the crappy opamp phase splitter used to driver the balanced outputs on top of the shoddy outputstage... rolleyes.gif

I'm going to take a closer look at my network setup first, I suspect that is to blame. I use an older plug in network extender which uses the house electricity wiring to extend the network. I'll contact Dennis if I still have trouble. Thanks for the info.

So I upgraded the 'network via house electricity' thingamabob, and no problems since. 24/96, here I come!

I got mine for under $2000 over a year ago and haven't regretted my purchase one bit. The rest of my system has changed multiple times over the past couple years but this DAC has been steady with me. I think it's a really well priced piece of equipment for $2000-2500 and has enough innovation, upgradeability, and expandability to last people a long time.

Hey, seems you've been quite happy with the unit this whole time and haven't had too many complains SQ wise. Why bother upgrading then if you don't like the prospect of investing more into the unit.

I decided to upgrade mine...if I don't care much about the upgrade I'll just return it. PS Audio is usually very good about their 30 day money back guarantee.

I'd be more excited for it if I used the USB and/or coax inputs, since those will newly go through the Lens thingy (I think).

Why Liquid HiFi? No early discount/self-install?

I corresponded with Ron and while he won't have the upgrade kit until Jan, he said he probably can beat the early adopter price. Things cold change, im sure. Regardless, I've liked dealing with him and try to give business to the small dealers when possible.

Yeah, the only risk is that since he will only get the upgrade kits after the New Year, one misses out on the PSA early adopter special. In the event that Liquid HiFi for some reason can't offer the good price (and I have no reason to think that's the case) then you miss out. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Reks, I like the way mine sounds. Is it worth the price? I don't know about that. But you're right about getting a deal used, especially once the mk2 becomes widely available. On these units, however, if you're going used I would try to find a way to get the warranty/registration officially transferred if possible, along with the original receipt. We don't know about the longevity of these things, yet, and I think something like the LCD screen easily could decide to fuck up at some point.

None of that is very helpful, is it?

the output stops when the source is changed. i have to turn it off, reseat a pair of cables, and then turn it back on. that USUALLY fixes the issue. at least until the source changes again. at minimum it's one board replacement to fix, and probably two boards. just not cost effective, especially since it's kinda flakey in general.

Have you had anyone look at it Reks? There is a thread about muting problems (which sounds like a possibility with yours) on diyaudio... unfortunately the OP didn't bother posting any resolution. Hate when people don't follow up on shit like that :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/163463-crazy-cd-player-problem-completely-muted.html

Yeah, the longevity of these units hasn't been vetted for yet, but considering the old DLIIIs are so prevalent and with little/no problems, I have pretty good faith in my PWD. Mine is about 2 years old now and has never has never missed a beat.

As for auditioning the unit, I feel that dacs are kinda hard to judge unless it is in your system and you have it for an extended amount of time. I've only heard it through the Bridge and USB, the later is pretty good but I find that the bass is a little less controlled than through Bridge.

Overall though I highly recommend it. PS Audio sometimes rubs me the wrong way, but I think they did a commendable effort on this dac and have obviously spent a ton of money on R&D as well as building the infrastructure for the Bridge. It's pretty hard to find any other dacs out there that match the flexibility, feature set, and damn good sound at this price point (when buying used).