Nylon Multifilament

The Monkey

• 2 weeks later...
Dinny,

Shoot me a PM with how much you need.

Thanks Nate, but I'll probably need a bunch. I hope to make several ICs and a Senn cable. ;)

What's a good source for this stuff these days.

I'm also trying to figure out what wire to go with for the Senn cable and the interconnects. Suggestions welcome. I have a bunch of Mogami around, so that will take care of some of the ICs, but I want moar special stuff, too.

Yeah, the wire is stored in my basement (where all evil things belong) and the basement is colder. So in truth we use a semi-cryo process which offers the benefit of cryo while not going too far. Really, it's the perfect blend of cryo/non-cryo technology.

Yeah, the wire is stored in my basement (where all evil things belong) and the basement is colder. So in truth we use a semi-cryo process which offers the benefit of cryo while not going too far. Really, it's the perfect blend of cryo/non-cryo technology.

Wait, you mean you have a balanced blend of cryo/non-cryo technology? I heard everything is better balanced! :eek:

What's a good source for this stuff these days.
I believe I got mine from wirecare.com, but I'd have to look to be sure. The size that I use most is 3/16 I think, I'll double check that for you as well. I'm still working off the 200' spool a bought a year ago but there's less left than I thought... :eek:

I'm also trying to figure out what wire to go with for the Senn cable and the interconnects. Suggestions welcome. I have a bunch of Mogami around, so that will take care of some of the ICs, but I want moar special stuff, too.
For IC's I think I've found my favorite in 24ga UPOCC in PVC. The last batch I got from Take5 had a thinner pvc jacket than some of the other stuff that I've gotten from them and worked really well. Not good for headphone cables though. For headphone cables I really want to try 28ga UPOCC in teflon, that'll probably be what ends up on my HF1s or 2s. If you want to try UPOCC let me know and I'll get you some with my discount. ;)

Most often I use two sets of twisted pairs so that the L and R channels don't cross. Some have said that braided cables will increase crosstalk although I've never seen any measurements to back it up.

I would think it would be rather easy to show in RMAA?

I would think it would be rather easy to show in RMAA?

One would think, yes, but I can't say that I've bothered to try and I've never seen anyone else post the graphs. I should send a couple cables to amb and have him run them on his measurement rig.

The thing that always struck me funny about this advice is that every damn aftermarket headphone cable you see is braided, every mini-mini is braided, just about every mini-RCA is braided but WHOA WHOA WHOA hold the phone when you do straight RCA-RCA, don't braid those or you'll ruin the listening experience. Oh, and that's not to mention that I've always been told to twist signal wires inside a chassis to help fight noise. Granted, those are for short runs so whatever impact the increased crosstalk might have is probably limited. And lets not forget, I think the bottleneck regarding crosstalk on most amps is likely whatever attenuator/potentiometer you use.

i hate twisted pair. after about the 30th ethernet termination, my fingers always ache from untwisting the buggers.

Weakling, I find punching down patch panels and making patch cords to be incredibly easy work, just boring. Replacing or installing a jack in some awkward spot under a desk, now that sucks.

• 1 month later...
Time to make some cables. I want to cover them in the soft nylon stuff. What sizes would I need for the following:

1) 4-conductor 22 or 24 AWG braid

2) Over regular Mogami

Thanks!

I just bought a bunch of this(Multifilment) cheap from furryletters on ebay. He ships fast too.

Les

Les,

Which type/size did you order? Seems that guy has a bunch of different kinds of sleeving some of which is just regular old techflex.

Here's the page. He lists it as Braided Nylon.

I bought 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4.

Cheap and Fast, just like my first wife!

eBay Store ? FURRYLETTERS: Search results for.

I ordered Thurs or Friday and received it today.

The reason why he says Techflex is because it is really TechFlex brand of braided Nylon.