Oh my stars and garters, a flac player!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two prototypes and each was half broken from a shipping mishap apparently.

I think I'm going to have to get one of these. The Audio Quality is at least up to the quality of the Pico DAC, if not better. Amp section (wasn't final though), was a little above average.

I brought a UMPC with Foobar and tried it as a USB DAC, and also brought an SDHC card filled with FLAC files to try the internal player too.

The UI is not the best (and not finished, so I'll reserve judgement on this one), but doable. The button arrangement sucks, though. But the overall menu is very Rockbox like, so yay for folder browsing support!

Fang at Head-Direct did mention something about getting custom amp manufacturers like Justin and Ray to make their own Amp modules for the HM-801. How awesome would that be?

In the meantime, I'll probably end up velcroing a Slim to the back of it.

-Ed

It's good.

If the size shrinks down enough I might consider modding it to fit inside my UMPC.

Doesn't really fit my purposes at this revision.

I guess the price isn't bad in comparison to some of the other audio products floating around.

I brought a UMPC with Foobar and tried it as a USB DAC, and also brought an SDHC card filled with FLAC files to try the internal player too.

What UMPC do you have?

I use a UMPC as the vital piece in my portable/transportable rig

In the meantime, I'll probably end up velcroing a Slim to the back of it.

-Ed

Slim as in PSP Slim?

Fang at Head-Direct did mention something about getting custom amp manufacturers like Justin and Ray to make their own Amp modules for the HM-801. How awesome would that be?
Definitely, though a little strange they are possibly open to this and so seemingly (publicly and rumor has it privately) against Rockboxing.

If the size shrinks down enough I might consider modding it to fit inside my UMPC.

Doesn't really fit my purposes at this revision.

I guess the price isn't bad in comparison to some of the other audio products floating around.

Not likely, since more than 1/3 the mass of the HM-801 was it's battery.

What UMPC do you have?

I use a UMPC as the vital piece in my portable/transportable rig

Viliv S5

Slim as in PSP Slim?

HeadAmp Pico Slim.

I don't quite get this, a few years ago when options for a work rig were fairly limited I would have been all over it (with the exception of price which seems pretty extreme) but I can't see using something like this over my Pico at work.

I don't quite get this, a few years ago when options for a work rig were fairly limited I would have been all over it (with the exception of price which seems pretty extreme) but I can't see using something like this over my Pico at work.

Thats how I feel as well. Some people will wish to listen on the walk to work as well and don't want to carry the iPod to work when the Pico might be there is all I could think of. Two years ago it would have made much more sense to me.

Hmm, did it really? There doesnt seem to be anything like this in the market and if it sounds as good as everyone says, then I dont understand why it wouldnt do well.

As a PMP, people say its good. As a DAC, people say its better then the benchmark/lavry. And the amp modules might be built by Justin later on. It all sounds really good for $700 :P

The Pico is said to be better than the Benchmark/Lavry as well.

I guess from my perspective the emergence of very good USB audio and devices like the iPhone that are starting to become indispensable for their multitudes of uses have made this seem a bit antiquated not to mention expensive. I guess I can see where it will find a niche, I just think it would have had the likelihood of being more successful a few years ago when more people where crying for just this type of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised by some of the negativity I've read on head-fi about this product. If the DAC and amp sections are Pico quality, and the battery lasts 8 hours playing lossless files, I think $700 is a steal. And if the amp doesn't turn out to be quite right, the modularity of the unit means that if you wait long enough, someone will make one that is. I consider buying this a matter of when, not if.

And if Head-Amp gets involved, this thing's a no-brainer purchase.

With an HM-801 plus JH-13s, I might actually look forward to air travel.

I'm a bit surprised by some of the negativity I've read on head-fi about this product. If the DAC and amp sections are Pico quality, and [if] the battery lasts 8 hours playing lossless files, I think $700 is a steal. And if the amp doesn't turn out to be quite right, the modularity of the unit means that if you wait long enough, someone will make one that is. I consider buying this a matter of when, not if.

And if Head-Amp gets involved, this thing's a no-brainer purchase.

With an HM-801 plus JH-13s, I might actually look forward to air travel.

That's a lot of ifs. If the odds of each happening are say 80%, the odds of all of them happening is 33%. If you need all of them to be happy, you'll probably not get it.

For me, it's a no brainer already. I use a minimal portable rig (iPod + PK2) and have no need for anything with a DAC, amp, etc. For some people, this is the answer to their dreams. Maybe the latter is a large enough market segment for this to make a go.

I would expect the dac section to be superior than Pico, at least if the chip used is decently implemented. I am more concerned about build quality, since I have heard of many Minibox E+ needing for warranty (mine too after some weeks of owning it), and shipping back and forth a 700$ "portable dac" is not the healthiest thing to do.

For some people, this is the answer to their dreams. Maybe the latter is a large enough market segment for this to make a go.

That's what I was trying to get at, a few years ago I think the market would have been large enough for it to make a go, now, I'm sure there's still a market for it I'm just not sure how big it is anymore.