Oh my stars and garters, a flac player!

I just randomly checked the HF thread, and this thing officially supports every format that I'd be interested in. It even does 24/96, albeit from coax. If I didn't already have a netbook and Pico, I'd be all over this for sure. But my setup is bigger, fussier, more expensive, and can't do the hi rez.

And $600 introductory price? Pretty damn good. What's not to like?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, what the hell. I preordered it. Sounded great at CanJam. The UI kind of sucks due to the retarded button positioning, but if I got used to the even more retarded wired remote on my iRiver iHP-120, then this one will be cake.

In the end, it's a lot smaller and lightweight than carrying around even a UMPC and Pico. Although I will most likely carry all three. The part I like about the chunky nature of the HM-801 is it will probably draw little to no attention in muggable situations. Whipping out a netbook / UMPC with Pico on the otherhand would. And not very easy to use that way while walking around.

-Ed

Let me get this straight:

- no memory inside

- ugly plastic

- "asian" phone style UI

- crap battery life

- crap small screen

- no radio???

- no video

AND: it has a 700$ start price + memory card(s) + second battery + better amplification module(s)?

This is so NOT a high end product, it's a ultra tweaky internet audiophile type product. Good luck owning that market, nobody else wants it. :)

I predict (as with almost everyhing else), version 3 will be usable.

O Karma, Where Art Thou? :)

- no memory inside

- ugly plastic

- "asian" phone style UI

- crap battery life

- crap small screen

- no radio???

- no video

AND: it has a 700$ start price + memory card(s) + second battery + better amplification module(s)?

This is so NOT a high end product, it's a ultra tweaky internet audiophile type product. Good luck owning that market, nobody else wants it. :)

Translation. I don't have $600 to spend on this flac player.

debbie_downer.jpg

All I said covers actually USING it, which I consider to be a bad experience.

Get an iPod then.

From my point of view it was better to work on it and make it usable, not plastic and 999$.

It has anodized aluminum body parts too and costs $600 now, not $999. And see above response again.

PS: You DO know what an 8 hour stated battery life means, don't you? :)

That it will have up to 8 hours of battery life.

2z4jlmf.jpg.gif

• 2 weeks later...

- no memory inside

- ugly plastic

- "asian" phone style UI

- crap battery life

- crap small screen

- no radio???

- no video

radio, video and bling screen are not really needed for a Top End Sound Quality device. This is a portable high end audio device not a fucking toaster oven, not a PSP or Apple Touch (although I loves my iphone it is not a top end source). Removable memory is a plus as you can load up cards with about 75-90 cds on them and are not restricted by internal memory.

This is not a Sony sized company product that is made for the massed retard, it is a NICHE product made for a small segment of audiophiles that want best in class sound quality and are willing to sacrifice 24 hour battery life, slick interface and sleek looks for something that delivers like a great home source. Once I start a cd I no longer need the interface, 7-8 hours is enough time per charge for me for a sitting and again once I hit play I'm not really looking at it's exterior looks. Yes I would prefer those things be improved but they are not deal killers given its intended purpose.

Maybe head on back to where you came from

Edited by jp11801

Not as much as I need to stay out of the JH13 one. :palm:

There is a difference, you absolutely need the JH-13 Pro. It's a game breaker that changes everything. Once you do buy it, you will (you will) want to sell all your gear, buy a G Lite JH-13 SE amp, pico slim and a HifiMan. ;D

radio, video and bling screen are not really needed for a Top End Sound Quality device. This is a portable high end audio device not a fucking toaster oven, not a PSP or Apple Touch (although I loves my iphone it is not a top end source). Removable memory is a plus as you can load up cards with about 75-90 cds on them and are not restricted by internal memory.

This is not a Sony sized company product that is made for the massed retard, it is a NICHE product made for a small segment of audiophiles that want best in class sound quality and are willing to sacrifice 24 hour battery life, slick interface and sleek looks for something that delivers like a great home source. Once I start a cd I no longer need the interface, 7-8 hours is enough time per charge for me for a sitting and again once I hit play I'm not really looking at it's exterior looks. Yes I would prefer those things be improved but they are not deal killers given its intended purpose.

Maybe head on back to where you came from

I'm sure it sounds good, but on par with a great (maybe my definition of great is more critical) home source...

Buy one and let us know :) I'm sure you could always return it.

I would honestly love to do an extensive 3-way comparison between these and the Pico. But I don't really want the Pacemaker or Hifiman, so it would only satisfy my curiosity and nothing else. I would feel bad about getting something knowing I wouldn't be keeping it, unless it's a loaner program.