Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does the metal construction of the HF-2 look cheap and unpolished?

It may be just you. I'd argue that the matte finish it shares with the PS-1 looks better than the more polished silver found on the HP and 325/MS2 or the PS-1000. But hey, if you like bling...

I hate that it lacks the inner bevel found in SR325/MS2s. They cost a fortune and don't even have the nicer details which cheaper Grados offer.

I could care less about the inner bevel. Sometimes I put them on wood cups I turn, other times I like the hard edge. I don't think it's a cut and dry issue of "nicer". And while they're not cheap, they don't cost a "fortune".

It just looks odd to me how the mesh is in line with the housing with no indentation... it's as if they couldn't be bothered machining it to sink in and instead went with it as it was.

Or it could be that they wanted a deeper chamber (and the associated benefits) without adding depth to the cup?

BTW excuse the ignorance but what's with the use of quotation marks? Is this an inside thing I'm missing? :confused:

Ummm, because I was quoting parts of your post? :palm:

I love my HF-2, they are the perfect partners to the AT sound of my AD2000 and W5000. They have great bass and midrange. And really rock with Dire Straits and Genesis. And I love the way they look, just like baby PS1000s.

Hi zippy, could you please elaborate, how does the HF-2 compare to the W5000?

I really don't mind what mine say. I do, however, want to note the following observation:

If I remember correctly, the first batch at CanJam had the correct spelling, didn't it? If this is the case, then Grado changed the engravers after they were revealed. I don't think it possible that the same engravers were hired for the job since they already had an existing template from those revealed at CanJam. Unless someone wanted to readjust the engraving and mispelled the word in the process.

Who knows.

Now, was the error caught before the most recent batch shipped (the July 2nd/3rd one)? If so, this batch might or might not have the error as well, but I doubt that the ones that ship in future batches will have it. I can see people trading them around though, wanting the F1's over the correct ones and vice versa.

Let's blame Les. Isn't he the one who made the stink about engraving in the first place? Though a bit far-fetched, it's still not out of line to consider Grado went with another engraver, possibly to address the concerns of those posting at that time, and maybe grabbing a lower bid while exploring options, thinking win-win. I personally think it's fucked up that they just sent them out, hoping for the best, like no one would notice.

Well, Grado would probably have lost too much if they trashed all the messed-up cups. I think they should have just sold those pairs at a slightly lower price due to cosmetic faults, which is really all it is.

However, knowing how ridiculous people get, rumors will spread of how other things were changed, and that now this one or that one sounds better.

I personally think it's fucked up that they just sent them out, hoping for the best, like no one would notice.

Fully agree Vicki. I am now somewhat glad that I delayed my order and am sitting at the back of the line, so I can see how Grado resolves this issue long before my pair ever sees the light of day (well, hopefully long before). That being said, it would take some really poor action on Grado's part to make me consider cancelling my order based on impressions that have been posted thus far.

Grado never was the best for appearance, but being special edition and all, you'd think these would receive average or better attention for mistakes compared to standard production.

I'm in the first (I guess really second) batch, so it appears that I'll be receiving a Formula 1 HF-2. It's a stupid QC mistake, and one that wouldn't be tolerated for a non "special edition" phone, so I don't know why it should be tolerated now. It's not like these are cheap. Grado should--and does--know better. The question I have is what is the best practical solution here? Running a new batch is pretty annoying because it will result in yet another wait. However, it also isn't right to have to just accept Grado's error. I think Grado should offer a partial refund and eat the cost (rather than Todd). Knocking off 20% seems reasonable to me.