Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF2.jpg

just got'em in Hong Kong! :cool: unfortunately a business trip, so I won't really be able to try them until the weekend.:mad: Just a snippet now - miles/dead/phish etc - but I already know these will be my main phones (now that I bailed on balanced). These rock, literally! btw, I don't mind the F1 at all.

I gotta admit, the engraving looks really nice on those!

Can someone compare the original batch to the new error batch? I believe that the blurry light engraving of the first, as well as the less edgy shape of I as opposed to 1 will give the vintage HF-2 a better tonality due to the difference in resonant quality of earcups.

Being a Chicago Cubs fan, I just realized that blaming Les for the HF2 lettering debacle is similar to to the reaction that Steve Bartman got for interfering with the foul ball that somewhat led to the breakdown in a clinching game of the 2003 NLCS.

If only Bartman paid some freaking attention and let Alou get a honest attempt at the ball, maybe Cubs make it to world series.

If only Les shut the hell up maybe Grado keeps the original engraver and there is no lettering mistake.

Most people don't like to mention how Prior, after the Bartman interference, completely lost his cool on the mound, losing his pitch control and giving up the string of hits that would eventually lead to Florida taking the lead in the 8th. or the blatant error from Alex Gonzales at Shortstop who normally was golden glove solid at the position on what was a routine grounder.

Obviously Grado should take the major of the blame here and not Les; but it cannot be denied the apparent cause and effect relationship that is perceived from the community regarding the lettering debacle. Though its fairness is debatable, I do believe Les Garten will forever be known as the one that led to the lettering debacle though some weird twisted cause effect alignment of the stars fate sort of way. At bare minimum he deserves a custom title:p

And just when I thought I had all my memories of 2003 thoroughly repressed, you dredge them back up. The horror. As to your larger point, your right. Les's posts were pretty douche-baggy, but it's not his fault. As for custom titles, how 'bout "Les Bartman"?

And just when I thought I had all my memories of 2003 thoroughly repressed, you dredge them back up. The horror. As to your larger point, your right. Les's posts were pretty douche-baggy, but it's not his fault. As for custom titles, how 'bout "Les Bartman"?

I think they look killer! I take full responsibility for wielding this level of Power...

I've attached a little video of some work I was doing in my backyard last night, just needed to straighten up a few things...

http://www.turbonet.biz/misc/behold/Behold.wmv

Can someone explain to me how this engraving process works? Does one choose a font, template, etc.? For example, would the manufacturer (i.e., Grado) typically hand the engraver a piece of paper and say I want thesem words engraved on the cups in such and such font?

I was wondering the exact same thing when trying to figure how this happened. I have this mental picture of "Grado Head-Fi Headphones" being hastily scrawled on a napkin and handed over to some wizened craftsman in a dirty apron.

IMO we should be focusing less on cosmetic differences between the two runs and more on the sonic differences. I find the initial run to be much more warm-neutral with deeper, blacker backgrounds. the second run (H1) by comparison sounds like a basket of h.r. giger dicks covered in pig shit and sweaty membrane veil.

IMO we should be focusing less on cosmetic differences between the two runs and more on the sonic differences. I find the initial run to be much more warm-neutral with deeper, blacker backgrounds. the second run (H1) by comparison sounds like a basket of h.r. giger dicks covered in pig shit and sweaty membrane veil.

That's cuz Grado's engraver wizened on 'em.

I was wondering the exact same thing when trying to figure how this happened. I have this mental picture of "Grado Head-Fi Headphones" being hastily scrawled on a napkin and handed over to some wizened craftsman in a dirty apron.

To take it a step further, I'm wondering if it is possible that the "Lot of 26" has the same error, except that the "1" in the Lot of 26 looks like a capital "I".

Is it confirmed that engravers were changed?

HF2.jpg

just got'em in Hong Kong! :cool: unfortunately a business trip, so I won't really be able to try them until the weekend.:mad: Just a snippet now - miles/dead/phish etc - but I already know these will be my main phones (now that I bailed on balanced). These rock, literally! btw, I don't mind the F1 at all.

Man, that's one sexy-looking headphone. I can't wait until it arrives at my place, it should be the first HF2 in Indonesia. :)

To take it a step further, I'm wondering if it is possible that the "Lot of 26" has the same error, except that the "1" in the Lot of 26 looks like a capital "I".
It looks like the same generic engravers font used, which would mean the 1 should only have a single-state and appear the same as the other 1 and not i/I/|, etc. Even with another engraver. But who knows? Would be interesting to have two similar shots and superimpose them to look for spacing, etc. changes. Well, slightly interesting.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. The cable is the same on both versions.
Actually, as is obvious in your photo, yours suffers from a blurry cable.

Actually, as is obvious in your photo, yours suffers from a blurry cable.

Sorry, I was in the car for 3-1/2hrs this morning and my funny is fried. Although the HF-1 keyboard cat edition is doing a lot to get the funny back going.

And in short order I'll have access to a pair of F1's so I'll try to take a side by side picture of the two cups for comparison.