Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO we should be focusing less on cosmetic differences between the two runs and more on the sonic differences. I find the initial run to be much more warm-neutral with deeper, blacker backgrounds. the second run (H1) by comparison sounds like a basket of h.r. giger dicks covered in pig shit and sweaty membrane veil.

This problem is removed with 1000 hours of burn in (but only if done with the finest pink noise).

I have been Grado-less for a while, so it's fun to have a pair again. And it's nice to know that I won't be looking for another Grado for a good long time. I also like how easy it is to change the pads, especially after dealing with my Staxen and AT woodies.

That said, the earpad foam material still sucks.

Other than Headphile's C-pads, are there other alternatives that can keep the drivers about the same distance away from you ears as bowls? Basically, flats and HD414? pads don't count. On the other hand, I've heard C-pads change the presentation a bit?

My HF2 is in the house. Build quality/QC is abysmal as usual. Good thing they sound fantastic, otherwise I would be pissed.
For those still in waiting, are the quality issue(s) just the Grado-ish norm or anything extra in play here?

This is why I shouldn't frequent these forums. Just wanted to check whether there has been any new headphones other than the HD 800 only to find out about this HF-2 and place my order an hour later. And I was so content with my iPhone/ESW9 combo.
Well, at least you found out before the last 80 were gone.

For those still in waiting, are the quality issue(s) just the Grado-ish norm or anything extra in play here?

Hard to say as Grado quality varies so much. To be more specific the engraving (new style) is fair at best. One cup is passable but the other has some discoloration as if the cup was spun while lettering, and the spin marks were left behind. The cable had a twist + kink half way up to one of the cups which I've managed to coax out (I think). The old Grado cable wasn't great and the new one is not an improvement, at least in the look/feel department.

But you put them on and all is forgotten. Detailed and smooth and IMO better bass than the HF-1, with better control.

Edit: Now that I look closer there is also a kink on the other side but no twist.

Edit2: Maybe I'm being picky but... I ordered very early when they came to our attention, likely in the first 20. The first 25 were given out at CanJam yet my serial is >50 wtf.

Hard to say as Grado quality varies so much. To be more specific the engraving (new style) is fair at best. One cup is passable but the other has some discoloration as if the cup was spun while lettering, and the spin marks were left behind. The cable had a twist + kink half way up to one of the cups which I've managed to coax out (I think). The old Grado cable wasn't great and the new one is not an improvement, at least in the look/feel department.

But you put them on and all is forgotten. Detailed and smooth and IMO better bass than the HF-1, with better control.

Edit: Now that I look closer there is also a kink on the other side but no twist.

Edit2: Maybe I'm being picky but... I ordered very early when they came to our attention, likely in the first 20. The first 25 were given out at CanJam yet my serial is >50 wtf.

Are the marks on yours similar to the ones on my pair?

The Grado HF2--It's For Real - Page 177 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio