Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too many, around 50-100, and Todd says he ships around 50 a week.

Only found out about these by accident. HERE! not on HF. Hadn't been to either site for a while...and bam! ordered mine on 7/9, I lucked out. I hope some of those on HF are having some cheese with their "whine" about the engraving issue. Hope mine are 1derful.

Todd said that orders placed right around now will take about 2 months or more. As long as I get them by September 22nd, I'll be happy! :D

Bowls vs HD414 pads - I like both, for different reasons. I tried flats at CanJam and was really opposed to them due to muddy and thick bass/mid-range. The HD414 pads work better for me than the flats did - ok so it's not entirely "clear" sounding, but it's not muddy and the mid-bass is nicely punchy. What I like most about the HD414 pads: much more comfortable than bowls (due to both softer foam and no bowl shape), and the HF2 sounds more "fun" with them too, as in more forward and punchy.

What I don't like so much about the HD414 pads is the less sparkly treble, which is where the bowls come in. The HF2 sounds cleaner and clearer with the bowls, though distinctly more laidback and spacious (as in the soundstage).

I recently acquired an Alessandro MS2i which I'll eventually compare with.

I haven't put much time on my HF2 yet, less than 24 hours (been doing most of my listening lately with the JH13), if burn-in proves to make a difference on these. I've also been using them with a PPA V1 off my Plinius CD-101.

Bowls vs HD414 pads - I like both, for different reasons. I tried flats at CanJam and was really opposed to them due to muddy and thick bass/mid-range. The HD414 pads work better for me than the flats did - ok so it's not entirely "clear" sounding, but it's not muddy and the mid-bass is nicely punchy. What I like most about the HD414 pads: much more comfortable than bowls (due to both softer foam and no bowl shape), and the HF2 sounds more "fun" with them too, as in more forward and punchy.

This is good news. I should find some in my mailbox quite soon.

What I don't like so much about the HD414 pads is the less sparkly treble, which is where the bowls come in. The HF2 sounds cleaner and clearer with the bowls, though distinctly more laidback and spacious (as in the soundstage).

Did you quarter-mod the HD414 pads?

Did you quarter-mod the HD414 pads?

Not a good view of them but these are the HD414 pads that I got. I'd guess they are quarter-modded? ms2i_x1.jpg If so, then I should add to my earlier impressions that my HD414 pads are quarter-modded. ;) I can take a pic of them later to verify.

On a side note, damn, you're good. I don't know how you guessed the quarter-mod.

Not a good view of them but these are the HD414 pads that I got. I'd guess they are quarter-modded? ms2i_x1.jpg If so, then I should add to my earlier impressions that my HD414 pads are quarter-modded. ;) I can take a pic of them later to verify.

On a side note, damn, you're good. I don't know how you guessed the quarter-mod.

I was really just asking whether they've been modded or not. :D

From what I gathered, most people that use the HD414 pads do the reverse quarter mod.

HF2s arrived this morning. No major cosmetic 1ssues besides the one. Felt like an expectant father counting fingers and toes and hit 20ish. Cord strangely pinched a couple mm above Y on both sides and stiffer cord punches me in the jaw when I turn my head, but the former is at least symmetrical and the latter is all part of feeling the music.

Bowls appear to be two parts (inner/outer ring) which I don't remember in the past (but it's been a bit of time since I owned a "bowl" Grado). Has this always been the case?

Recently a co-worker bought a pair of SR60s and I nostalgically thought of when I started this hobby. Bought a used pair of SR80is as beaters, and maybe not surprisingly, really did not like their signature as all. Having the HF2s arrive a week later, and sound so great, is a welcome reversal.

They did make a wise decision to limit the HF2 to the number they had made with the error. They wouldn't be able to win going forward from there. If they fixed the error, the people with F1 would bitch and there would be another shit storm if they didn't fix the error. Of course, some people will complain because more won't be made, but that's the least of the three evils.

I agree Ken and they gave plenty of notice. It was always going to be a limited run, it was just a matter of how many and honestly I'm surprised at how many sold. Of course, I think as soon as a few more of them get out there we're going to see a rash of FS threads. I think HF-2 FS + fewer than 1000 posts should = ban but I won't get to enforce that.

Not to mention the arbitrariness of the 1000 post rule and the possibility of some having legitimate reasons for selling the HF2. Of course, there will probably be flippers, but I don't see why those with legitimate reasons for selling should have to suffer just because the lack of integrity on part of others.

They did make a wise decision to limit the HF2 to the number they had made with the error. They wouldn't be able to win going forward from there. If they fixed the error, the people with F1 would bitch and there would be another shit storm if they didn't fix the error. Of course, some people will complain because more won't be made, but that's the least of the three evils.
...it was decided to limit production for the time being...
You know, I am going to be pissed off if they do another batch.