Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Everyone knows the HD800 is just a big sissy.

Metrosexual. You know, at least in theory, that the HD800 is not looking at your ass, but you still wouldn't bend over to pick up a bar of soap if it's anywhere nearby. It really likes the way it looks though, so you can call it a sissy all you want to...

I don't miss the PS1s, and I still like my HF2s...
I'm the other way around, but I don't think the two are really comparable -- the PS-1 was targeted at a very specific and different target market than the hf-2.

(The fact that I think the PS-1 is the best thing that John's done only means that I am part of that target market, and you're part of the other one.)

I like both. The PS-1 fit better my taste for rock. I think the HF-2 are somewhat more neutral so they sound to me more convincing with other music styles. For the price, the HF-2 IMHO are a wiser choice, but the PS-1 bring a smile to my face more often, so I don't regret what I spent on them.

I like both. The PS-1 fit better my taste for rock. I think the HF-2 are somewhat more neutral so they sound to me more convincing with other music styles. For the price, the HF-2 IMHO are a wiser choice, but the PS-1 bring a smile to my face more often, so I don't regret what I spent on them.

The PS-1 were designed by John Grado specifically for European ears, so this is not surprising.

As we're mentioning other phones...

I know they don't get much love here, but the RS1s nicely compliment the HF2s within the Grado-acoustic/small band world (rarely listen to arena rock). Doubt I'd own a pair of RS1s if I didn't have HF2s around, if that makes any sense? RS1s become a 'lighter' signature tweek to more successful HF2s when Grado-time hits (have only heard the PS1s sound balanced a couple times - usually a bit bottom heavy). Course not that Grado-time is ever about finesse. Both phones don't get a ton of head time, but glad they're around.

As we're mentioning other phones...

I know they don't get much love here, but the RS1s nicely compliment the HF2s within the Grado-acoustic/small band world (rarely listen to arena rock). Doubt I'd own a pair of RS1s if I didn't have HF2s around, if that makes any sense? RS1s become a 'lighter' signature tweek to more successful HF2s when Grado-time hits (have only heard the PS1s sound balanced a couple times - usually a bit bottom heavy). Course not that Grado-time is ever about finesse. Both phones don't get a ton of head time, but glad they're around.

I'll always be a fan of the RS-1. I agree with your description of the overall signature sound being a bit "lighter". A bit more crack to the drum hit, a bit more air to the vocals, a little more life in the electric guitar, at least going from memory. I've owned a bunch of different RS-1s, but ultimately I prefer the HF-2's bass presentation. It reminds me of the MS2i's bass presentation but with more life, which also reminds me of the HP-2's bass presentation, at least in terms of slam, not perfection. Its almost like the bass in the HF-2 is like the John version of the Joe bass sound, if that makes any sense. FWIW I think the HP-2 has the best bass of any dynamic can.

The biggest win the RS-1 has over the HF-2 is the RS-1 rocks with FLATS baby! the HF-2 sounds terrible with flats. Ooh, this reminds me, somewhere in this thread I remember remarking how terrible I'm sure the HF-2 would sound with bagels. Well I actually got a chance to try the HF-2 with bagels recently, and you know what, it sounds pretty darn good! Worth checking out if you have some bagels laying around.

I'll always be a fan of the RS-1. I agree with your description of the overall signature sound being a bit "lighter". A bit more crack to the drum hit, a bit more air to the vocals, a little more life in the electric guitar, at least going from memory. I've owned a bunch of different RS-1s, but ultimately I prefer the HF-2's bass presentation. It reminds me of the MS2i's bass presentation but with more life, which also reminds me of the HP-2's bass presentation, at least in terms of slam, not perfection. Its almost like the bass in the HF-2 is like the John version of the Joe bass sound, if that makes any sense. FWIW I think the HP-2 has the best bass of any dynamic can.

The biggest win the RS-1 has over the HF-2 is the RS-1 rocks with FLATS baby! the HF-2 sounds terrible with flats. Ooh, this reminds me, somewhere in this thread I remember remarking how terrible I'm sure the HF-2 would sound with bagels. Well I actually got a chance to try the HF-2 with bagels recently, and you know what, it sounds pretty darn good! Worth checking out if you have some bagels laying around.

While I am a big fan of the HF-2s....I still think the best John Grado headphone is the RS1/RS1i for some of the reasons you've given.