Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Grado is the PS-1000. My least favorite is the RS-1. The ones I own are: PS-1, PS-1000, GS-1000, HP-2, HF-2, HF-1, and 325i.

I don't like the price tag of the PS-1000 at all, but I like the sound. I think people may confuse high price with bad sound. Kind of a negative placebo effect. I could be wrong about that, of course, but that's my theory. I had refused to buy a pair myself for a couple of years, but after spending quite a bit of time with them at TTVJ's place this summer, I was convinced. I'm still not happy with the "design" which was essentially to replace the wooden door knobs of the GS-1000 with metal door knobs. The R&D efforts were not exactly as intense as those by Sennheiser (HD800) or Beyer (T1 and the like), but hey, it's Grado.

I can't really say that I prefer them over the HD800 and T1, but find them to be in the same league. Haven't really made any direct comparisons.

I still need to do that, and to throw the LCD-2 into the mix. I've been listening to the LCD-2 a lot lately, almost to the exclusion of everything else; they're so effortless and natural sounding, it's hard to find any faults with them.

Maybe when I go back to the PS-1000, I'll want to puke, but I doubt it. I think John finally got it right.

As we're mentioning other phones...

I know they don't get much love here, but the RS1s nicely compliment the HF2s within the Grado-acoustic/small band world (rarely listen to arena rock). Doubt I'd own a pair of RS1s if I didn't have HF2s around, if that makes any sense? RS1s become a 'lighter' signature tweek to more successful HF2s when Grado-time hits (have only heard the PS1s sound balanced a couple times - usually a bit bottom heavy). Course not that Grado-time is ever about finesse. Both phones don't get a ton of head time, but glad they're around.

I wish I have the chance to hear the so-called classic RS1. You know, the one with pink button? I always wonder how it sounds in relation to the more normal RS1.

I agree with your assessment of the RS1 but I guess I got too pampered with HF2's bass. Guitar string sounds amazing with the RS1 though.

And here we are agreeing twice in a month! I do agree with you on this completely. :)

Welcome to HC. ;)

No, not really, because he is acknowledging that posty is awesome.

correct, but unfortunately quickly canceled out by a Monkey dis.

My favorite Grado is the PS-1000. My least favorite is the RS-1. The ones I own are: PS-1, PS-1000, GS-1000, HP-2, HF-2, HF-1, and 325i.

I don't like the price tag of the PS-1000 at all, but I like the sound. I think people may confuse high price with bad sound. Kind of a negative placebo effect. I could be wrong about that, of course, but that's my theory. I had refused to buy a pair myself for a couple of years, but after spending quite a bit of time with them at TTVJ's place this summer, I was convinced. I'm still not happy with the "design" which was essentially to replace the wooden door knobs of the GS-1000 with metal door knobs. The R&D efforts were not exactly as intense as those by Sennheiser (HD800) or Beyer (T1 and the like), but hey, it's Grado.

I can't really say that I prefer them over the HD800 and T1, but find them to be in the same league. Haven't really made any direct comparisons.

I still need to do that, and to throw the LCD-2 into the mix. I've been listening to the LCD-2 a lot lately, almost to the exclusion of everything else; they're so effortless and natural sounding, it's hard to find any faults with them.

Maybe when I go back to the PS-1000, I'll want to puke, but I doubt it. I think John finally got it right.

The PS1000 is what the GS1000 always should have been, IMO. I'm not prepared to call it the greatest John Grado yet, but he did put the Grado midrange back into a bagel design. The utter lack of any midrange whatsoever in the GS1000 is why I could never fully embrace it, and the sibilance didn't help either. Having said that the GS1000 had lots to like, its just that in the end the negatives outweighed the positives. The PS1000 has the larger soundstage, the speaker-like bass, the aforementioned Grado midrange, and while the highs can tend towards the almost too sparkly/sibilant, and I'm not so sure yet about whether there is too much coloration, its definitely a very fun phone to listen to.

I agree with your "negative placebo effect" theory. Its easy to scoff at the ridiculous price tag. Personally I found the GS1000 to be more of a $500 phone, while I'm more comfortable with the PS1000 at $1000.

The last GS1Ks I picked up were for $600. Almost made them worthwhile (though required tube matching to punch the midrange). Agree with your comments. GS1Ks are problematic like K1Ks are problematic. Both can sing though.

Wish the PS1Ks were under $1K. Current price is a bit crazy with the competition.

Douche number #3 I see has just commented..

:chair:

I'm the douche? So someone states their opinion and gets called names...nice job.

Who's the douche again?

No...the one after mine was useless. :P

Nice to see you've lightened up.

Bring it on...:basement:

Obvious who the cunt is. Pretty obvious you don't get this place :dinny: