Please help me diagnose a problem

humanflyz

I recently sold my Stello DP200 to laxx, and upon taking delivery, he told me that there is a problem: the headphone jack does not work. He tells me that he feels no physical resistance when plugging the headphones in, and there is no volume.

The Stello is supposed to mute the pre-amp outs when headphones are plugged in, but laxx tells me that even with phones plugged in, the pre-amps still work.

My first thought is that in the shipping process, the headphone jack became dislodged from the chassis such that it no longer grips the headphone plug completely. Does this sound plausible?

I don't know what kind of jack this uses, but yes, you should definitely feel resistance as you insert the plug into the jack. On normal Neutrik switched jacks, when the plug is inserted, it lifts contacts off of the switched set of contacts used for preamp or whatever, thereby taking them out of the circuit. The fact that the pre outs still work would indicate that the plug is not disconnecting these. I would think it should be an easy fix.

So I openned the chassis up earlier and this is what I found.

(I unplugged the jack that's mounted on a pcb board connected to a 4 pin thingies)

jackp.jpg

chassis.jpg

How would you go about fixing that? Part of the jack is on the front panel (glued on) and I don't know how someone would be able to get it out to put in a new jack.

Any help is appreciated.

I assume the panel is metal? Aluminum? Steel? You could probably get most if not all of it with something like an xacto knife or the like. Possibly have to carefully drill it out. Or use a ream, again carefully.

That jack doesn't look familiar. Was it completely broken apart like that when you opened the amp? That would explain the no resistance. But yeah, the entire jack needs to be replaced.

Looks to be like super glue/crazy glue. I didn't get the front panel off because it was a lot of work (having to disconnect a bunch of stuff), so I'm not sure how it looks from the front.

It was completely snapped off when I opened the case. All I did was unplug the 4 pin from the pcb board.

I would contact Stello and see if they are willing to send you a new jack already mounted to the small daughter board pcb. From there I'm sure you can find a way to get the old material out and get the new one in. Kind of disappointed to see that the jack is just glued in though, that's pretty weak.

Already emailed Stello and they are sending a replacement jack from Korea. They said I should be able to do it easily on my own, so it makes me think it's not glued.

Maybe if I take the front panel off, there's nut/washer holding the jack in place.

Already emailed Stello and they are sending a replacement jack from Korea. They said I should be able to do it easily on my own, so it makes me think it's not glued.

Maybe if I take the front panel off, there's nut/washer holding the jack in place.

That would make more sense if there was a panel behind the front panel that it was mounted to via a mounting nut. That is how my preamp is done for the switches, pot, etc. That jack that MisterX pointed out looks like it could be a contender other than the lack of gold plating.