Atlanta Computer Audio Event, Sun June 28, members needed!

n_maher

• 3 weeks later...

I fuckin' love you guys! Rabia.gif

Thanks for having my back.

can MOTs go?

You're in Justin. You can have a 6' table. Try to bring a computer as a source if you can. If you can't I can whip something up if you'd like.

Turns out they're gonna have about 12-15 tables, so it's pretty much a headphone meet. Anybody can come and bring gear, I doubt we'll max the place out. Computer sources are desired, but not mandatory.

Please check in here or over at HF if you think you'll make it.

Oh, here's the info from the HF post for the ban.gif.

-------------------------

Hiya Georgia wave.gif.

Chuck Bruce - VP Industry Relations, Audio Video Club of Atlanta - has asked me to help him putting together an event. Basically, the Audio Video Club of Atlanta wants to have a look at high-end audio on computers.

I'll be bringing down our Audiophile Desktop System, but what we'd both really like is if some of you Georgia Head-Fiers could bring your computer rigs to show off at the event.

We need 4 members with nice computer systems who would be willing to bring them and show them off to folks at the event. (Ignore this part, now taking all comers.)

The event will be held on Sunday June 28. Access to the rooms for set-up will be at 12 Noon, with the event commencing at 2 PM, running to appx 5 PM, breakdown by 6 PM.

The venue will be:

Marriott Courtyard Northlake

4083 La Vista Road, Tucker, GA 30084

770-938-1200.

Near intersection of La Vista Rd and I-285 freeway.

If you are interested in showing off your gear, or just going to the event, please post up here and we'll "git 'er done."

Thanks much. thumb.gif

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

someone should take a squeezebox, computer geeks love stuff like that

I think someone is, but it can be a bit trick to set it up on a hotel network where the router doesn't want to let shit talk to each other. I've brought my own router to meets before so the Transporter could talk to the computer, but once your behind a second router the hotel router wouldn't let me out into the rest of the world.

It's a good idea though, and I think someones doing it.

Maybe I should just set up one of mine to get streaming radio and Pandora with a tiny Micro DAC and Amp system. Hm, I think I'll do that.

Oh yea. I was one of the first to reply on the other site. Wouldn't miss it. (First weekend of a company-enforced week-off )

I'll bring my bryston preamp; the macbook/duet; some phones; a psaudio P500; an Ayre CX7P cdp... and of course, the Bitch Weasel.

Fitz usually car-pools with me.

Let him try... but we'll save that for the HF meets. These seem to the the high-fallutin' types. Less nonsense (til the Tyll-hosted afterparty... no?).

I'm gonna try to be there... got the usual factors to deal with.

**BRENT**

I hope you can manage it. Always good to see you man.

I hope you can manage it. Always good to see you man.

Yeah... hope I can too.

Hello,

I'm new to this group. I have a Wadia iTransport coupled to a DAC1 with Sennheiser HD800 'phones that I could bring to the event, assuming there's any interest in this kind of setup.

Welcome hortonm... I'm sure there WILL be some interest in that setup. I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin. :cool:

**BRENT**

I think someone is, but it can be a bit trick to set it up on a hotel network where the router doesn't want to let shit talk to each other. I've brought my own router to meets before so the Transporter could talk to the computer, but once your behind a second router the hotel router wouldn't let me out into the rest of the world.

It's a good idea though, and I think someones doing it.

Maybe I should just set up one of mine to get streaming radio and Pandora with a tiny Micro DAC and Amp system. Hm, I think I'll do that.

Fitz has set up his SQ-Box with his own router at previous meets.

Yeah, I have a crappy Linksys router I commandeer from work for this purpose, just have to make a couple changes to my hosts files and it works fine. Eventually I'll probably get around to changing the dynamic IP range and static IP assignments on it so I can just plug it in and go anytime. Never had access to another network at any of these events to even try seeing if I could get it to talk to the main network, though NAT probably gets in the way of trying to log onto the hotel network properly from behind a 2nd router as Tyll mentioned. The cool thing about this particular Squeezebox setup is it doesn't even require the computer to be on to listen to my music, because Slimserver is running on a very small, fanless fileserver. It has less flexibility in changing/adding storage space than a regular NAS unit, but adds more flexibility in being able to run anything I want on it, such as Slimserver.

Let him try... but we'll save that for the HF meets. These seem to the the high-fallutin' types. Less nonsense (til the Tyll-hosted afterparty... no?).

I'm gonna try to be there... got the usual factors to deal with.

**BRENT**

Yeah this is one'ah dem there fancy shindings, so ah reckon ah aint be wearin' mah ass-kickin' shoes. :P

But fuck the usual factors, make yourself available to get down here again. ;D

I'm new to this group. I have a Wadia iTransport coupled to a DAC1 with Sennheiser HD800 'phones that I could bring to the event, assuming there's any interest in this kind of setup.

Hiya n00b! Nice rig, please do bring it! hitit.gif

Wow....this start to sound like a pretty nice meet!!! So Tyll, will you bring along the HD800?

Well ... sure ... I'll play second fiddle to the n00b above and bring a pair too. I'll run mine balanced just for flayva. Augie.gif

... and of course, the Bitch Weasel.

What's a bitch whistle? headscratch.gif

(til the Tyll-hosted afterparty... no?)

Chuck's taking me to dinner after the meet, and I've got an early AM flight the next day, so I think I'm out for the afterparty. sad.gif

The cool thing about this particular Squeezebox setup is it doesn't even require the computer to be on to listen to my music, because Slimserver is running on a very small, fanless fileserver.

That sounds damn cool. Looking forward to checking it out. You got a linky for that fileserver gizmo? ear.gif

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

That sounds damn cool. Looking forward to checking it out. You got a linky for that fileserver gizmo? ear.gif

It's custom built using a mini-itx board, and I don't really remember where I got all the parts from, but here's what it looks like nekkid:

fileserver2.jpg

It's smaller than a phonebook, uses less than 30 watts idle, quiet as whatever harddrive you choose to put in, and is running ArchLinux. I think I paid around $450 for the whole thing, including the 1TB harddrive which was when they still cost ~$200. Of course that's not factoring in the time for the DIY modifications necessary due to the lies I was told by the place I bought the chassis, or the time it takes to install and setup the OS.