New CDs for CanJam 09

justin

The past couple years just before the CanJam I've placed an order for ~10 CDs at Acoustic Sounds to have some more high quality stuff to show off the gear. And it never fails that Norah Jones is still the only CD anyone wants to put in. So, I'm looking for some suggestions this time. Really well recorded stuff in a variety of genres, must be good music and not just impressive sound, and SACD is a major plus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the CDs have to be available from Acoustic Sounds? If so, that's kinda limiting, but I found a handful of ideas regardless right away:

K2HD sampler: Various Artists - This is K2 HD Sound! - K2 HD CD

Best Audiophile Voices Selection: Various Artists - Best Audiophile Voices Selection - CD

Best Audiophile Voices Vol. 1: Various Artists - Best Audiophile Voices Vol. 1 - CD

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth: Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth - CD

Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven (SACD): Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven - Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Some relatively popular artists not on Acoustic Sounds I'd recommend: Alison Krauss & Union Station, Massive Attack and/or Portishead, Porcupine Tree, Shelby Lynne, Sigur Ros

The past couple years just before the CanJam I've placed an order for ~10 CDs at Acoustic Sounds to have some more high quality stuff to show off the gear. And it never fails that Norah Jones is still the only CD anyone wants to put in. So, I'm looking for some suggestions this time. Really well recorded stuff in a variety of genres, must be good music and not just impressive sound, and SACD is a major plus

Shelby Lynn "Just a Little Lovin' "

Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live"

John H. Clarke "Acoustik Guitar" (CD Baby)

Helge Lein Trio "Hello troll (linnrecords.com and burn to CD)

Diana Krall "Live in Paris"

Herbie Hancock "River: The Joni Letters"

Elaine Elias "Something for You"

Guinea Pig "Kool Cats"

Ang

Do the CDs have to be available from Acoustic Sounds? If so, that's kinda limiting, but I found a handful of ideas regardless right away:

K2HD sampler: Various Artists - This is K2 HD Sound! - K2 HD CD

Best Audiophile Voices Selection: Various Artists - Best Audiophile Voices Selection - CD

Best Audiophile Voices Vol. 1: Various Artists - Best Audiophile Voices Vol. 1 - CD

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth: Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth - CD

Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven (SACD): Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven - Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Some relatively popular artists not on Acoustic Sounds I'd recommend: Alison Krauss & Union Station, Massive Attack and/or Portishead, Porcupine Tree, Shelby Lynne, Sigur Ros

i'll take a look but the words audiophile and sampler appear too many times. I already have the Alison Krauss, Massive Attack, Portishead (and Beth Gibbons solo album which has been in my top 10 for several years), and Sigur Ros

Julie London

Katie Melua

Madeleine Peyroux

Radiohead

Thievery Corporation

Probably wouldn't hurt to include a film soundtrack or two either. Here are some I personally have that most people have probably heard:

Black Hawk Down

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

The Dark Knight

The Village

There's also a really good recording of Gustav Holst's The Planets on HDTracks.com which can be downloaded as FLAC and then burned to CD.

Julie London

Katie Melua

Madeleine Peyroux

Radiohead

Thievery Corporation

Probably wouldn't hurt to include a film soundtrack or two either. Here are some I personally have that most people have probably heard:

Black Hawk Down

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

The Dark Knight

The Village

There's also a really good recording of Gustav Holst's The Planets on HDTracks.com which can be downloaded as FLAC and then burned to CD.

I have a MFSL SACD of The Planets, I forget which one it is. I think collecting different recordings of The Planets could be its own hobby

Dave Alvin -- Black Jack David, MoFi SACD

Pat Martino -- East, MoFi SACD

Chet Baker -- Chet, Analogue Productions SACD

Impulse Reissues -- Analogue Productions SACD

Eugene Ruffolo -- In A Different Light, Stockfisch SACD (a little fruity but I like it and the recording is amazing--would sound great on O2s)

Bassface Trio -- Tribute to Cole Porter, Stockfisch SACD

Blue Coast Records Sampler

Art Blakey - Moanin' (the new analogue productions sacd)

for redbook, try to find a certian vinyl rip of Duke Ellington & Ray Brown's This One's For Blanton. (Fantasy vinyl series)

I'm pretty sure people will like that one, even if they aren't inclined to like jazz.

I'll bet if you search high and low on these forums you may even find people who have it :D

no it isn't. it's like going to a local jazz club and hearing a fairly solid, if not particularly innovative, group play some standards in front of an appreciative crowd. which is what it was.

I agree with Reks on this one.

The Audiophile Voices cd suggested is excellent. Justin, if I can find my copy, I will bring it for you to use. Another great live recording is Chris Potter - Live at the Village Vanguard.

For well recorded jazz and good music too, I'd recommend:

31BZXJR6BHL._SS500_.jpg

That 20bitK2 version is especially good.

21K0H5TJWAL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

You have 5 to choose from, I like especially #3, but all them are good.

613ccQMuOEL._SS500_.jpg

For wonderful music, great vocals and decent ambiance sound:

Eva Cassidy - Live at the Blues Alley

41ANK86725L._SS500_.jpg

For classical with huge dynamic swings and full of timbral textures, plus great music:

51a06L793DL._SS500_.jpg

And to close the suggestions, a very well recorded disc, full of instruments, and with great music too:

5153YkJEhTL._SS500_.jpg

listening to the MFSL Ryan Adams "Heartbreaker" SACD on your rig last year was pretty amazing. I'm a sucker for Heartbreaker though.

I love the Living Stereo SACDs. maybe not totally modern audiophile, but I think those old recordings are just marvelous.

I have a MFSL SACD of The Planets, I forget which one it is. I think collecting different recordings of The Planets could be its own hobby
It is. I have several copies on SACD. You want to borrow some things? I have a killer SACD collection (link is out of date, and does not contain recent purchases). And yes, I'm serious. No charge, all I ask is that you take responsibility for them if they don't make it back kind of thing.

You should have a copy of the Fairfield Four "Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray" as Ray always uses it in his meet system so the comparison might be useful.

It is also a fantastic sounding CD, Track 2 is a real "Wow" song with huge soundstage and very well recorded vocals.