New CDs for CanJam 09

justin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thirding Pat Martino's _East!_ on MoFi (only know the redbook layer but it's great!), and seconding _We're All Together Again For The First Time_...

A bit late, but some more suggestions:

The Dan - _Aja_ or _Gaucho_

I find Kate Bush's _The Dreaming_ is very illuminating for all the crazy layers of shit going on...

I'm not a big fan of _The Division Bell_ but it does sound good...

Sting's _Brand New Day_ sounds quite good, and wicked bass.

Dire Straits - I love the original self titled album, _Communique_ and _Love Over Gold_, the most, but _Brothers in Arms_ is always a classic and sure to get more love than the others... I have the Sony SBM remasters of all the old Dire Straits albums and they all sound great.

The redbook layer of the SACD version of Roxy Music's _Avalon_ is fabulous.

Joe Jackson's 1984 album _Body and Soul_ sounds (and is!) AWESOME.

In the incredibly unlikely even you can find it, Duncan Browne's 1979 album _Streets of Fire_ sounds unbelievably good...

MoFi's UltraDisc version of _Songs from the Big Chair_ by Tears for Fears is awesome.

The early '00s remaster of XTC's _Nonsuch_ sounds great.

Two China Crisis albums (largely produced by Walter Becker) - 1985's _Flaunt the Imperfection_ and 1989's _Diary of a Hollow Horse_ - both (save for the tracks on Hollow Horse which WB didn't produce) sound absolutely awesome.

Speaking of Walter Becker, _Circus Money_ sounds awesome.

Public Image LTD's 1981 effort, _The Flowers of Romance_ sounds fucking amazing... the drums on the first track will reorganize your bowels on a good system. This is the second album to feature the signature 80's "Gated Reverb" drum sound (the frist being Peter Gabirel's third). Strongly recommend hunting this down if you can tolerate Mr. Lydon's wailing.

Air's _10,000Hz Legend_ (Radian!) and _Talkie Walkie_ (Run!) are quite fun to hear on good systems. _Pocket Symphony_ isn't quite as good...

To really fuck shit up in the bass department, I have been using Justice's _Cross_ lately... piles of low frequency content and overall ridiculously abrasive sounding, sure to torture any system...

Speaking of silly (proper!) bass, Radiohead's "Packt like Sardines into a Crushd Tin Box" from _Amnesiac_ is quite fun!

Finally, while it's probably not the best of Bobby Short's output musically, MoFi's release of _Live at the Caf

Awesome choice, and a great demo! I actually loaded that one onto my Mac Mini for the CanJam rig just yesterday. :) Sorry you are not making the trip out here Antonio. It would be a blast to have you come for a meet sometime, although I am quite certain I will make a Europe meet trip one of these years.

Thanks mate. I tried to arrange things to attend, but May is a bad month here at work. There are a lot of medical courses and congresses which my colleagues want to attend too, so unless there's a "good reason" to get a few free days... :( Maybe next year, I'd love to meet you all and being able to try some pieces of gear.

Let me know whenever you come this side of the pond ;D

This is a great CD, but to me sounds much better on speakers than through headphones, due to the fairly extreme horizontal separation of Cooder - Percussion - Bhatt.

I gave this one a try before buying it. I'm probably unable to fully appreciate it. I found it boring. One I'd put in the 3 Fat Guys on a Couch Swapping Power Cords Collection, and I don't pay $30/disc for that. I can see how with speakers you might feel that you're in the same room as the performance. All my full size headphones are in transit, so I'm only using the ES3X IEMs. I feel like I'm unable to hear the area around the room due to the lack of detail & compressed nature of the headphones. Just 3 guys floating in space