P&S digital camera recommendation?

CD44hi

Canon SD880. It's compact, relatively quick as far as compacts go, has a 28-112mm equivalent zoom range, and the overall image quality is very good as far as compact P/S go with a usable high ISO function. I prefer the DMC-LX3 if any compact P/S is considered, but it has a smaller zoom range and costs considerably more.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while regarding this question.

I went out and tested a bunch of options. I through out of the window the requirement for the AA batteries. It all came down to which camera power up fastest and allowed to take quick pics. I settled on a unit that came as a surprise, the Casio Exilim EX-S10.

It had the best options, including allotment for fast sequential pics. The feeling of the unit itself is very solid and very compact. It has a cool video option that it is really instantaneous and allows to take pictures while filming (it pauses the video, takes the shot and goes back to video rec mode.) Really cool. As to reliability can't say because I've only had it for about a month....

THanks for the suggestions, they helped me get acquainted with the features etc..

• 1 month later...

Ok, I think this is useful as an addendum, in case anyone is considering this camera:

After having it for about 2 months, it is evident that the quality of the pics taken by this Ex-S10 is variable. It is able to dispense fast pics and also it is able to switch from pic mode to movie mode with only one button, this are really cool features to have. Specially with an infant. However, the quality is really erratic. From great sharp ones to others that basically look as if they were taken with a cheap webcam.

I can't recommend this camera.

I use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 with mixed results. It is a little more complicated than I really wanted with way too many settings. I always use the easy mode, the selection with the red heart. I would love to have a nice P&S that had some simple settings that could be adjusted as your focusing, like making the picture lighter or darker, and an easy manual focus.

Only reason I ended up with it in the first place is because is was clearanced at Walmart, and Panasonics had a higher than average customer rating on Consumer Reports at that time. CR may be a good place to look again for suggestions, I have a membership/subscription but haven't been there in some time.

It will be interesting to see what you end up with and how you like it.