CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

The Audeze planars are going to be interesting. The enclosures they are using are nothing to write home about but they still sound good, are easy to drive (we listened out of a Gilmore Lite) and will probably be < $400.

The engineer developing the drivers said he'd be very happy to have a dialogue with the enthusiast community -- pm me if you want his email.

Was the engineer Sankar? or somone else?

Even if the enclosures suck, can you describe the sound more? (all that really matters for the moment is if the enclosure is reasonaly rigid and fully open, which it should be).

Dammit NoNoNoNoNoNo/Colin, where are you with the gazzilion snaps!!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF-2 is indeed a winner. Nice smooth (not overly so) sound, does nothing wrong to me. This is with bowls; didn't like them with flats. I'll be comparing them to the ESW10 tomorrow.

HD800 is another clear winner; I haven't heard any other headphone sound so right. I wish I could afford this.

Was the engineer Sankar? or somone else?

Even if the enclosures suck, can you describe the sound more? (all that really matters for the moment is if the enclosure is reasonaly rigid and fully open, which it should be).

Dammit NoNoNoNoNoNo/Colin, where are you with the gazzilion snaps!!

Sankar is the engineer here. For me, they sound very good and, if they sell for ~$350, are the best value among the new headphones.

Is the HF2 shipping with bowls or flats?

It's shipping with bowls. TTVJ has a show special of $5 off for flats. I bought some flats to go with my HF2s. I agree that they sound awfully good, but not too much like vintage RS1s. They have no exaggerated sibilance whereas for me, RS1s sound like somebody is sticking needles into my eardrums.

Anyone get a listen to the new Woo stat amp yet ?

I listened briefly and it was indeed nice. My audio vocabulary is limited so bear with me. It did not strike me as slow or soft as I have read about some Woo amps; my SR-Omega sounded good on it. It had all new production tubes, Tung-Sol 6SN7 and Shuguang (sp.) 6CA7, the newer special model. I definitely think it is head and shoulders above the A10 but that probably does not surprise many. The A10 has the Ray Samuels sound which may appeal to some but is not my cup of tea. I prefer my ES-2 to both amps but i am biased and out a shitload :basement: of money there, so go figure.

I think the Woo will be a great addition to the electrostat market. The BHSE sounds great also. We hooked up an ES-2 and the BHSE to the same source and I must say that I was surprised the ES-2 held it's own with the O2, several others felt the same but I will let them speak for themselves. But for the money :palm: the BHSE is a clear winner.

Rainbow of Pico amp/DACs

cj09_08.jpg

Pico Slim (chassis parts not ready)

cj09_09.jpg

Blackbird Audio's vendor table with Heed CanAmp

cj09_10.jpg

Eddie Current Balancing Act

cj09_11.jpg

AMB y1++ (Gamma 1)

cj09_12.jpg

FallenAngel's balanced Beta22

cj09_13.jpg

velogreg's Trafomatic Experience Head One

cj09_14.jpg

jpnums' Stacker Hybrid

cj09_15.jpg

mikeymad's Marantz SA-7S1

cj09_16.jpg

Woo Audio WA5

cj09_17.jpg

Luxman P-200 - top panel engraving

cj09_18.jpg

Woo Audio WES

cj09_19.jpg

Woo Audio WES 6CA7 tubes

cj09_20.jpg

Woo Audio 22

cj09_21.jpg

Registration table - jpnums, LFF, Iron_Dreamer, zippy2001

cj09_22.jpg

EMI/Capitol's donation stash

cj09_23.jpg

Spectral SDR-2000 DAC and SDR-3000 transport

cj09_24.jpg

Rockhopper Audio Buffalo DAC

cj09_25.jpg

PS Audio PerfectWave transport & DAC

cj09_26.jpg

Some more general ones...

Smyth: I did not expect that realism that people were raving about, but this is the real deal. I briefly sat down at Beyer and did their little head motion thing... a toy compared to Smyth's stuff.

HF-2: a little extra bass oomph, but very good balance. Preferred it over HF-1 and RS-1. Nick Drake's Fruit Tree (acoustic folk) sounded incredible.

Shure headphones: The highest model SHP840 was rather nice and not too closed sounding, comfy, and solid. The lowest 240 model is bad.

L3000: Just not my thing. Sounded artificial.

D5000: Definitely not my thing. Weird, boomy, bland, something.

Monster Beats: lol.

sources and amps: everything sounded good to me, but I don't recall using anything outside of the usual good HeadAmp, HeadRoom, DIY stuff. Lots of nice upstream components at the meet.

I also expect cetoole's C-2C impressions... lucky bastard :P