CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audeze Planars

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

The Audeze are certainly in the fuggly category, but who cares if they sound good.

The larger pic of the amp has allowed me to determine that is a dark Lacewood, for whoever it was that inquired.

With Gabon Ebony trim.

Edited by swt61

Think i missed out ob meeting nate too thats sad :(

Yeah, wtf is up with that dude? I fly 3000 miles and you avoid me like the plague. :(

Semi-brief impressions since I'm running on 3-1/2 hours of sleep. Upon arrival Friday I had a little time to run by the hotel and grabbed one of Tyll's HD800s and promptly sat down for a little 20min+ listening sessions with the Balanced HD800s. Whoever is saying these cans lack low end is listening to them on something other than good gear. Honestly, they didn't lack anything for me and sound outstanding. I'd love to own them but can't see affording them any time soon.

Friday I spent with my little sister and her fiance in downtown LA. Got so good south American food, a few excellent mojitos. Then watched some movie being filmed in the street, it was a chase scene with an Audi R8 after a cab with some dude climbing up the hood of the cab. Pretty funny to watch multiple takes of it and so very LA.

Got up Saturday, ate breakfast, headed to the hotel. Grabbed Dan's HF2s and a pair of Todd's HD800s and set about reterminating cables with what was quite possibly the worst toolset imaginable. There is nothing quite like stripping wires on a $150 stock cable with scissors. An hour and a half later (after helping thrice with some work he was doing and he helping me) I finally got to get down to the business of listening to a few things. Notable setups - I spent about a half hour each with the Woo Stat amp and O2MKII's and the WA6SE and HD800s. Flip a coin folks, either one of these rigs could satisfy someone for a long, long time. While certainly different in their presentations (I didn't take notes, don't ask me to recall particulars) they were both what I would classify as "reference" class listening experiences. Next up was the Blue Note talk, too f'ing cool is how I'd describe that. If you ever have the opportunity to here either of these guys speak, do it. After that I tracked down Frank Cooter and got a chance to talk shop with him and also listen to his new Stat amp with Vicki's O2 MKI's. Sweet mama, well done Frank. Another top shelf listen, wish I had this guys design and wood working skills. Finally I got a chance to check on the Pico Slim with my ER4Ps. This thing rocks and the volume adjustment range is staggering. I can't wait to see the finished product and have no doubt that this is going to be a very popular item. I'm also excited to see how the tech gets potentially integrated into other products, that's all I'm saying. Then it was time for pizza and beer, toss in a cigar, then some burbon, then some late night listening to Al's SDS XLR with the balanced HD800s. Unfortunately it was all over too soon and at 1am LA time (4am to my body) I simply had to crash. I was back up at 5 and headed to the airport and on the ground in Boston at 4pm EST.

Heck of a way to spend a weekend and certainly glad that I did it. As is almost always the case I spent way more time catching up with folks and casually checking out rigs than I did critically listening.

One final thing, my hat is off to the LA crew. They did an outstanding job with this meet from soup to nuts.

I'm as close to collapsing from exhaustion as I've been in 15 years. What a great weekend. Roscoe's with Al, Gene, and Mike for breakfast was awesome. Had a late night debate with blessingx about shirts and politics, and with wmcmanus about the perception of headcase. Consumed some spectacular bourbon, rye, and scotch. Got a great glencairn canjam glass. Listened to my hf2s and hf1s on my old (jeff's current) m^3 with the headroom ultra desktop dac and the rockhopper buffalo dac. The buffalo is a great source. Listened to Justin's sony and blue hawaii with my esp950s. Won some IEMs. Smoked some cigars. Met lots of new friends and spent a lot of time with lots of old friends. Looking forward to the next one, and to sleeping on the plane.

I'm as close to collapsing from exhaustion as I've been in 15 years. What a great weekend. Roscoe's with Al, Gene, and Mike for breakfast was awesome. Had a late night debate with blessingx about shirts and politics, and with wmcmanus about the perception of headcase. Consumed some spectacular bourbon, rye, and scotch. Got a great glencairn canjam glass. Listened to my hf2s and hf1s on my old (jeff's current) m^3 with the headroom ultra desktop dac and the rockhopper buffalo dac. The buffalo is a great source. Listened to Justin's sony and blue hawaii with my esp950s. Won some IEMs. Smoked some cigars. Met lots of new friends and spent a lot of time with lots of old friends. Looking forward to the next one, and to sleeping on the plane.

Sum up your strenght and don't forget to post some impression! Have a safe trip.

Head Casers actually cleaned up at the raffles. Jacob got his ALO dock, Colin won five prizes including the GD Compass and some Rudistor amp, Grawk won some amp/iem combination, NoNoNoNoNoNo won the reference dac and I won the Head Room Ultra Micro Dac, Shure SE 530s and Yuin OK3s. I am sure some other winners were there but there was so many prizes it was difficult to keep track.

The organizers did an excellent job and the side attractions like the Glenrothes tasting made it even better.

Just got home....whew! What a blast! Another astounding National Meet, these just keep getting better! Big kudos to jpnums and team for the herculean effort, it paid off extremely well. There was so much to see and do, but more importantly, so many people. Amazing turn-out, this was definitely the most-trafficked meet yet!

There are so many things I could post next, I think I'll do the rest of my pics. I have no more pics after these as I ran out of time on Sunday. These are all from Saturday night's pool-side party. Not pictured: the hot woman in the string bikini emerging from the hot tub, drying herself, and slowly walking back into the hotel...followed by blubliss! You had to be there! :D

Fries-topped pizza, anyone?

cj09_27.jpg

Left to right: Grahame, bhd812, justin w., unknown #4 guy

cj09_28.jpg

Left to right: Iron_Dreamer, agile_one, jpnums

cj09_29.jpg

Tyll about to scarf down a slice!

cj09_30.jpg

Attack of the Edwood pizza devourer!

cj09_31.jpg

Left to right: Edwood pizza bot, stevieo, Voltron, thrice?

cj09_32.jpg

blubliss chillin' with his soda

cj09_33.jpg

Edited by boomana