CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you care?

Sorry I used the wrong word. Im not irritated that he didn't go home with his BHSE, I was just suprised that he didn't take his new amp home with him.

I just thought of it myself as I put down for a BHSE back in late 2008. It was only a little strange to me because a couple times during the meet I ran into Steve and asked him if he listened to his BHSE yet, and he told me very casually that he had not yet.

I could have never done that. Since you don't need the KGBH SE so badly, how about I trade you a $2500 maxed GES and a $2500 Eddie Current ZDT for yours?

Hrmm, no thanks. :P And those are nice amps but I prefer the BHSE.

Anyways Steve, on Friday night I couldn't help notice that when Mikeymad plugged in the SR-Omegas into the right 5-pin input, you did not want it plugged into that input. Is your BHSE equiped with a pro bias and normal bias input?

But even then its fine cause plugging the SR-Omegas into a normal bias wouldnt hurt anything right?

Yes it has Pro and Normal output jacks. It's possible to plug a Pro-bias headphone into the Normal bias jack but then it would be under-powered and not sound as good as it would otherwise. In response to your post below, I don't know yet what Normal-bias headphones I'll end up with, but right now I have the SR-X MKIII.

Sorry I used the wrong word. Im not irritated that he didn't go home with his BHSE, I was just suprised that he didn't take his new amp home with him.

To take the amp home with me would've required checking it with my flight which would've added to my time and effort at LAX which I foresaw as a problem well before CanJam - hence, I knew it would've made far more sense to seek out a local Head-Fier to hold it for me instead and ship back afterwards, so that's exactly what I did. As I'm not in a particular hurry to receive it either (I have a few other things to sort out with my HD800 and Bryston BDA-1), it makes sense for blubliss to hold it for a while too, and he was an ideal choice given his reputation and headphone system.

Hell, I ended up with a Blue Hawaii, a balanced B22, an ES-2, Jades, and HE90s in addition to my own gear. People just get generous when the alternative is packing it onto an airplane. :P

You should grow a few extra set of ears so you can listen to them all. ;D

Hrmm, no thanks. :P And those are nice amps but I prefer the BHSE.

To take the amp home with me would've required checking it with my flight which would've added to my time and effort at LAX which I foresaw as a problem well before CanJam - hence, I knew it would've made far more sense to seek out a local Head-Fier to hold it for me instead and ship back afterwards, so that's exactly what I did. As I'm not in a particular hurry to receive it either (I have a few other things to sort out with my HD800 and Bryston BDA-1), it makes sense for blubliss to hold it for a while too, and he was an ideal choice given his reputation and headphone system.

No worrys, I am not insulted one bit...........:rolleyes:

Still, the best thing was meeting everyone. It was truly amazing but all the HCers that I met for the first time were exactly like their online persona's, goes to show you the value of open discussion.

I apologize for not saying so long to everyone on Sunday evening. But in my defense, it was 2:30 AM, I was a slow walking zombie, I did have to leave for the airport at 4:30 AM. I'll buy you all a round next year (or sooner) to make up for it.

I think these have now been retitled, "The Basement Talks".

Morphsci,

Nice meeting you! Thanks for the delectable Rye:)

Well thanks to a couple of nasty days, it has taken me longer to post pics than I would have liked. Here is the first set, from the "Scotch-Fi" VIP event Friday night (which was much appreciated by all).

It all started with this kind chap...

dsc6362.jpg

...some great scotch...

dsc6364.jpg

...and our very own CanJam glassware!

dsc6360.jpg

Thrice ponders...

dsc6366.jpg

...and consumes!

dsc6365.jpg

As our host took us on a virtual tour of the scotch business

dsc6363.jpg

Neilvg and the VanJam boys arrived before we could suck the place dry!

dsc6370.jpg

And even a few vendors got in on the goods

dsc6369.jpg

Wow, JH Audio, HD800, HF-2, Audeze, Smyth Research... it's too much, resistance is futile...

I hear you there, man. I've got all of this stuff already (or am about to order in the case of Smyth and JH but they already have my personalized measurements and ear impressions, respectively, so it's now just a matter of sending the money). I somehow missed the Audeze, but am tempted to order that one just on faith given all of the great reviews by trusted ears.

Did anyone get a chance to listen to the DNA Sonett vacuum tube headphone amplifier?

How was it?

This was one of the last things I heard toward the end of the meet. I took IpodPJ's advice and decided to check out the DNA amp. He left his HD800s there, so I took a short listen with them on the single ended version of the amp. I thought that it was one of the better sounding HD800 setups to me. I didn't get the feeling that the amp imposed much and this is a good thing. It was smooth, detailed and natural sounding to me from my short listen. Im more curious now that I heard it.

Happy 21st birthday to you!

aww thanks:)

These pics are a bad temptation today.:palm: I'm finally legal to buy and consume.:o

Congrats. I suggest you pass go, collect $200 and then spend it on the Glenrothes 1985.

Same big thanks goes out to all that helped keep me a little buzzed through out the weekend.

The Glenrothes 1985 is my favorite but somehow by the time I got around to finding it at the secret sub-meet it was gone. I never knew there was an evaporation factor with single malts. ;) I found the Select Reserve and the 1991 to be very enjoyable and it is nice to finally have the proper glassware for future Head-Case late night posting rituals.

Robin Couper, our Glenrothes host is a really nice guy and did not hesitate to accept the invitation to participate in Can Jam. He flew down from San Francisco just to participate in our little event. The Glenrothes management is kind of fascinated by the whole audio single malt link and really wants to support our relationship.

If anyone cares, those glasses are the new official Glencairin no lead German crystal glasses. So you know we looked out for your health by having no lead crystal.